Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I'm new to the forums, been googling on how to OC my desktop but have been running into some issues.

This is my current setup:

AMD Phenom 9500
Asus M2N-SLI
2 x 1GB PC2-6400 Corsair CM2X
2 x EVGA 8600GTS
420W Power Supply
Windows XP SP2

Well to start off my board only supports 5X for HT so I'm limited to 1000HT
I'm currently using the Bios to adjust everything. I was able to get my Bus speed to 236 with my HT link to 1180 and core speed to 2596Mhz. When I play COD4 for about 5 minutes my computer blue screens. I also lowered my ram from 800 to 667 so with the 236 bus speed it's at 393 x 2. I upped my core voltage in bios to 1.275 but it still sows 1.2 in CPUZ. The errors I get in the blue screen is IRQL not less or equal and another time I got something about page fault in unpaged area or something like that. Any tips will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
B2 stepping Phenoms are not great oc'ers, 2.5-2.6ghz is about the max it can go. Turn off Cool and Quiet first. If your cooling is good, you still have a lot of room on the vcore. Try upping the vcore gradually, I'm guessing it'll need at least 1.40-1.45v for it to be stable at 2.6ghz.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I upped my core voltage to about 1.3+ but it still stays at 1.200 V in cpuz for some reason. Any ideas why?

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Are you on the latest bios? I guess it could be that the bios doesn't have proper support for Phenom.

3,284 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IGotLegends
View Post

Yeah, I upped my core voltage to about 1.3+ but it still stays at 1.200 V in cpuz for some reason. Any ideas why?

try upping your core voltage a bit more and ,when I crank my voltage upto 1.550v it shows it at 1.47 or something, what speed is your nb at?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My NB Frequency is at 2070Mhz, current Bios version is 0901 ( I think it's out of date, I should update it but I'm afraid I might kill the PC lol ) I'll google it, after the bios is updated would I be able to go up a bit more because my temperature is still very low at my current speeds.

On a side note, in about a week I will be getting 2 new PC's from a contract I recently signed. How much better would these systems be compared to my current one?

Specs:

AM3 Phenom 955 3.2Ghz
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
EVGA GTX 260 SC Edition
2 x 1GB DDR3 1600 6-6-6-18
2 x 75GB Western Digital Raptors

When I get these 2 PCs, how much do you guys think I can OC the 955 to?

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IGotLegends View Post
My NB Frequency is at 2070Mhz, current Bios version is 0901 ( I think it's out of date, I should update it but I'm afraid I might kill the PC lol ) I'll google it, after the bios is updated would I be able to go up a bit more because my temperature is still very low at my current speeds.

On a side note, in about a week I will be getting 2 new PC's from a contract I recently signed. How much better would these systems be compared to my current one?

Specs:

AM3 Phenom 955 3.2Ghz
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
EVGA GTX 260 SC Edition
2 x 1GB DDR3 1600 6-6-6-18
2 x 75GB Western Digital Raptors

When I get these 2 PCs, how much do you guys think I can OC the 955 to?
The PII 955 will be a much better oc'er. 3.6-3.8ghz are very common. Some have hti 4ghz on air.

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by awdrifter
View Post

The PII 955 will be a much better oc'er. 3.6-3.8ghz are very common. Some have hti 4ghz on air.

Very few hit that OC. They were binned chips. The new steppings barely hit 3.8Ghz but it is possible....

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
3.6-3.8ghz are pretty common, but yea, very few have hit 4ghz.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet, maybe when I receive my new PCs I can play with my current one a bit more without fear of breaking it and being PC-less
Thanks for the help. Would you guys recommend I OC my memory's timing or is that too advance?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah I was wondering will a 700W PSU be enough for the phenom 955 as well as a EVGA 260 GTX superclocked and an EVGA 8600GTS? I use the 8600GTS to power my other 2 monitors in tri monitor mode.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts