Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola! I'm getting really sick and tired over my WD TV Live and my Boxee Box, and then I was thinking: Why dont I just build a media center myself? Awesome plan, right? If you know what you're doing, I guess
biggrin.gif

Well, I'm not.. I know how to build computers, but I've never touched a HTPC, so I really hope you guys can help me out. I need help regarding what to buy, so that it can live up to my needs.

What I need it to do:
Stream 720p movies wireless from my NAS - Synology DS212j.
Stream from Netflix, twitch.tv etc.
It would be a bonus, if I could install Steam on it and watch Dota 2 matches. Not play, just watch.

I think thats about it. I do need it to be wireless, and I would like to be able to watch my movies. I dont need a huge harddrive, so I was thinking a small SSD?

I hope thats enough information to get some help
smile.gif

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I would do the following: (Amazon UK links as it's easier for me but you get the idea)

CPU: AMD A4 5300
MOBO: Gigabyte F2A85XM-D3H
RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) Or anything else you like, even 4GB is fine but I always go 8GB min for futureproofing
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX 430
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD
HDD: WD Caviar Green 2TB SATA 6Gbps Power Saving if you want/need storage
CASE: Subjective but this is what I use
MCE REMOTE: Emprex 3009ARF Wireless MCE Remote Control
WIFI: Anything USB/PCI, Whatever takes your fancy. I've used TP-LINK stuff before without problems.

For software I would install either XMBC or Mediaportal and get plugins for Netflix/Twich which you will be able to use from your sofa with the MCE remote like you're supposed to with a HTPC!

Both softwares can connect to your NAS and with the right plugins/setup you can present all your media with covers/fanart.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I like the Intel i3 3225 with integrated HD4000 graphics (of course I'm an Intel stockholder and the CPU is more expensive than the AMD;)). For my set up I have the Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI mini-ITX MoBo (it has 2 HDMI and one DVI outputs) which not only has a great Intel WiFi card installed but it's also Buletooth enabled. I stream via WiFi and use an Anker mini Bluetooth keyboard as a controller. You only need 4GB of memory for these setups. I didn't install a hard drive as I only stream things and don't record so I use just a Samsung 840 120 GB SSD. This system works great and I've not had a single problem running it via WiFi.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What country are you in? I'm presuming America.

Aside from an APU, an Intel NUC might be perfect, its basically an ultrabook but a really small and power efficient desktop.

An i3 NUC: $269.
An i5 NUC: $379.

You just have to add RAM a msata and a wifi card; Samsung have a 830 msata that they sell to OEMs, or you could buy a Plextor M5M, should be better as you get a warranty.

For WiFi card you could get an Intel 6235 low power or the new Broadcom 802.11AC card; I forget its model name.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the late response.

Rian > Thanks alot for that list. Although, it seems a bit expensive dosent it? I've seen people building a HTPC for 250-350$
Alan > I'll try and look up the hardware you got. Thanks
smile.gif

Sir Noob > I'm from Denmark, but I can try and see if I can get a APU here. Everything is really expensive in Denmark, but it should be possible. Thanks for the input
smile.gif

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Noob View Post

What country are you in? I'm presuming America.

Aside from an APU, an Intel NUC might be perfect, its basically an ultrabook but a really small and power efficient desktop.

An i3 NUC: $269.
An i5 NUC: $379.

You just have to add RAM a msata and a wifi card; Samsung have a 830 msata that they sell to OEMs, or you could buy a Plextor M5M, should be better as you get a warranty.

For WiFi card you could get an Intel 6235 low power or the new Broadcom 802.11AC card; I forget its model name.
I just looked up the i3 NUC, and its around $360 in my country
frown.gif

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
I like the Intel i3 3225 with integrated HD4000 graphics (of course I'm an Intel stockholder and the CPU is more expensive than the AMD;)). For my set up I have the Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI mini-ITX MoBo (it has 2 HDMI and one DVI outputs) which not only has a great Intel WiFi card installed but it's also Buletooth enabled. I stream via WiFi and use an Anker mini Bluetooth keyboard as a controller. You only need 4GB of memory for these setups. I didn't install a hard drive as I only stream things and don't record so I use just a Samsung 840 120 GB SSD. This system works great and I've not had a single problem running it via WiFi.
pretty much the same as my setup.

8Gig memory
60Gig SSD
BD player
streacom evo FC8 silent case
i3 3225
Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI ITX(dual gigabit)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.