Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys hows it going? So I have ordered parts for my new build, it is going to look something a long the lines of this:

Armor +
i7 960
Evga classified 4 way sli
GeForce gtx 480 x2
Crucial bellatix DDr3 1600 Red
1.5tb HDD (Data Storage)
OCZ Vertex 2 128g SSD (OS / Programming)
Xi-Fi Fatal1ty Champion Series
Anec CP-850

That pretty much sums it up as far as the build goes. Keeping to a Black and Red theme which I will work on once I have the build actually done.

So I am new to Water COoling and I have been reading up a lot however a couple things I am not quite sure of and I would appreciate any help!

Looping - So far what I was going to do was something along these lines.
Res -> Pump -> Rad1 -> GPU 1 & 2 -> Rad2 -> Motherboard -> Rad3 -> CPU -> Res

Res - FrozenQ's Liquid Fusion V Series ~ Blood Red
Pump - Thermaltake P500
Rad 1 - Black Ice GTX 420
GPU - EK FC480 GTX AC
Rad 2 - Black Ice GTX 140
Motherboard - EK-FB EVGA Classified 4-SLI - Acetal+Nickel
Rad 3 - Black Ice GTX 140
CPU - EK Supreme HF AC
3/8" Clear Tubing w/ Primochill Blood Red

Picture for a general Setup for it:

A-Resvoir
B-Remove HDD Cage, then mount Pump - will have a 140mm fan close to the mesh of the front of the case
C-Rad 1 will go ontop of the 2 HDD/Fan Racks. Will cut off bottom 2 PCIE slots but that is ok. If it doesnt fit will remove the racks
D-GPU - along with 230mm side panel fan
E-Rad 2. Will have a 140mm Fan mounted on outside of the back
F- Motherboard
G- Rad 3. Will actually mount it to the 140mm Fan that will be there
H- CPU

Questions:
-Is this a Good water loop? This is my first time Water cooling so I haven't done a water loop before and I am taking a wild guess at this set up
-What is the point of a radiator? Does it just clean and Cool down the water? or what is it's alternative purpose?
-Will a single Black Ice gtx 140 be enough to cool the CPU alone?
-Most importantly.. am I missing anything??

If anyone has new suggestion that they can give me on a better water loop all is welcome. Based on the measurements I believe the gtx 420 should fit on the bottom, not sure if I can manage to keep the racks there or not but will try. Like I said, any better loop suggestion is welcome!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
860 Posts
So you just brought a brand new bad ass rig, and you wanna try water-cooling when you are new to it?

1 - Get a professional to do it for you.

2 - Get a all in 1 WC kit (H50,h70,Eco Cool)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy^^Red View Post
So you just brought a brand new bad ass rig, and you wanna try water-cooling when you are new to it?

I am getting the higher end parts for I work at an electronic/computer store and I get everything at Cost. So I don't want to get a kit. I am very flexible to the parts for my friend is the manager and will special order them for me at Cost. I don't want to get a professional to do it because I will need to learn to do it at some point myself!

All I really need to know is if that set up will work and if I am missing anything or if there are better parts. I dont really want to do any modding but I will if I need to.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
a) Instead of using clear tubing with a red dye, use colored tubing and pure distilled water + PT-Nuke. Dyes will leave gunk all over your loop and permanently stain some components.

b)If you use 2.5k+ RPM fans then you won't need either of those 140mm radiators. A single 420 with 2.5k RPM fans can dissipate well over 1000w, you loop is only 800w, so you won't have a problem there.

c) For a pump use the MCP 355 with XSPC Aftermarket top

d) Loop order does not affect temperatures, so use the loop order that gives you the least amount of tubing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response Charlie. I think i will do that then, as far as the tubing and PT Nuke go and the pump.
Should I keep the 140mm Fan that is on the rear for when I got tri SLI gtx 480's in like 4-6 months? That way I will make sure it will be cool enough to send through to the mobo and CPU?

Also will I need to replace the fans in the 420 radiator to make it the 2.5k+ or does it come well enough stock?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by RatDog View Post
If you are yanking all the HDD racks, where are you putting the HDD?
I will be getting 2 Drive bay converters for them. It wont leave me any room for exspansion as far as my HDD or SSD go but for right now I think what I have will suffice for awhile.

Thought only had 5 5.25" bays for a second. Getting 2 converters for the HDD will leave me with 2 drive bays left for another exspansion should I need more space or if I get another SSD.

·
Watercooling Enthusiast
4,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy^^Red View Post

Why not watercool it? The first rig I ever built I watercooled it from day one (H50,h70,Eco Cool do not count) and never had any problems.

Just do ur research and buy quality parts. I learned that lesson... always buy top end and you will never have a problem. Middle of the road will always lead to you wanting more and costing extra in the end. If you have the cash to do so buy the best, don't try to penny pinch. An example would be the xspc rx series vs the hw labs sr1 series radiators... they perform comparably, nearly identically except the sr1 does slightly better under 1500 rpm and ever so slightly at that, but the build quality is night and day. no flaking paint, mounting holes are all the proper size, and looks are much better imo.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that is what I have been doing. It is going to be paid with a scolarship money so I am not really losing any pocket money, plus I work for an electronic store where I get things at cost, like my intel i7-960 that is normally like what 500$ I am getting it for just below 200$

I was actually debating using 2 gtx 420, mount the second one on outside rear. then have one for GPU and one for Mobo/CPU. I intend on OCing this to as close as 5ghz as I can get it! Which is also why I have a couple fans in there as well.

Just need to know if I will need to replace the fans in the gtx 420 or if stock fans on it will be enough to pull 2.5k+ rpm like Charlie had mentioned.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "stock" fans, radiators usually don't come with fans.

Since you have to buy the fans anyways, just get 3K RPM Ultra Kaze fans. They are great fans that under volt well so you can quiet up your rig when you're not stressing it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright cool thank you. I was thinking about the gentle typhs but those will work well. Thanks for all of your help!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts