Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've recently installed my new watercooling setup first time, I'm having problems getting air out of my loop in the rad, I've tried, rocking the case putting on its side powering on and off pump still full. But I am only able to get roughly 500-600 ml of liquid in, I've tried cleaning every part out, tried pump-cpu-rad-res, pump, rad cpu -res, any ideas what else to try? Thank you

·
Registered
430 Posts
How do you know you have air in it?

If you don't see big bubbles in the lines or the top of the res, I think you are fine.

The small bubbles eventually disappear over time (run it for about 48 hours)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypine27 View Post

If you don't see big bubbles in the lines or the top of the res, I think you are fine.

Hey I'm assuming this is air in the picture, my res hasn't dropped

·
Registered
422 Posts
What Skypine said. Maybe you can post a picture of the setup. This would help us identify possible issues.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Pictures are a bit small but from what I can see it looks fine in picture 2 & 3, when was picture 4 taken? When you run the pump is it noisy and do you see bubbles of air running through the system? Do you leave top of res open when running pump to remove air?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Cant really see how you connected the outlet and inlet to your pump/reservoir combo in the pictures. Just assuming you connected that properly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efnita View Post

Cant really see how you connected the outlet and inlet to your pump/reservoir combo in the pictures. Just assuming you connected that properly.
Thank you for a reply the last pictures were small I'm not too sure why, when I run the pump at 5 its very loud, picture 4 was taken last night (its flat on the floor) I have left the res open and ran for a few hrs, lid on last night ran for about 15hrs, only get bubbles in res when I start rocking the case, thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

The outlet is just a compression fitting to tube- compression to cpu inlet,

Inlet has extender-compression-tube-t-fitting - compression - rad if that helps

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypine27 View Post

Any ideas at all? Thank you

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hmm. Pump normally makes lot of noise when you run air (bubbles) through it. Once system is air-free it quiets down.

The way I get the air out of my system is by running the pump at max and tilting the case gently, until you hear the air move. If there is a big air pocket you will hear it when it dislodges and see the air appear in the tubes. What works best in my experience is tilting it forward and backward with the reservoir closed. No need to rock it back and forth just gently increase the angle until you hear the air moving. I will then put the case level and run it for an hr or 3 with reservoir open to remove smaller bubbles, then rinse and repeat. I typically also run it overnight with res open just to remove the tiny bubbles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Hmm. Pump normally makes lot of noise when you run air (bubbles) through it. Once system is air-free it quiets down.

The way I get the air out of my system is by running the pump at max and tilting the case gently, until you hear the air move. If there is a big air pocket you will hear it when it dislodges and see the air appear in the tubes. What works best in my experience is tilting it forward and backward with the reservoir closed. No need to rock it back and forth just gently increase the angle until you hear the air moving. I will then put the case level and run it for an hr or 3 with reservoir open to remove smaller bubbles, then rinse and repeat. I typically also run it overnight with res open just to remove the tiny bubbles.
Thanks mate ill try that now and let you know how it goes, thank you

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
Quote:

Everything he said was correct except one thing.
There is zero reason to ever leave your res open. It does not allow air to escape from the loop like many state, it just gives the system a source of potential leak.

The reason is that air coming out of someplace like the rad is going to get replaced by liquid from the res, and the water that replaces the air will make room for that air in the res.
You are simply moving stuff around within a closed loop, so no need to open the res up while running the loop.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you only have some bubbles (big ones) when you tilt the PC around, I wouldn't worry about it.

The question is, are your CPU temps (since you didn't water cool the GPU as well) better now vs. before you made your custom loop?

If yes, then I think you did it right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post

Everything he said was correct except one thing.
There is zero reason to ever leave your res open. It does not allow air to escape from the loop like many state, it just gives the system a source of potential leak.

The reason is that air coming out of someplace like the rad is going to get replaced by liquid from the res, and the water that replaces the air will make room for that air in the res.
You are simply moving stuff around within a closed loop, so no need to open the res up while running the loop.
Hey guys sorry for a late reply my cpu 2600k is currently sitting at idle 32-45 degrees on coretemps (core #0) it seems to jump very high at times

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I
Quote:

I have been doing that I got alot of air bubbles come out, but if I tip my pc to the side and hold it, it seems like there is alot of the loop has no liquid

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it seems to be not enough liquid, it means there is still air in the loop (a lot of air). Once u remove the air u need to top it up with water.

I had the same situation as u. What I did was when the rocking motion did not help anymore I laid the case flat instead. But for this to work your res must be closed off properly. Then u can basically tilt the case 90-180 degree. Once u start to see the air pocket moving u can gently nudge it with the tube. That's how I remove my big air pocket.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts