Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So basically I want to water cool my computer and keep some parts like the radiators, pumps, reservoirs, fans, tubing etc for an ivy bridge build later. So picking some "long life" parts is a must.

I will be using my 650D for this watercooling build.

I want to use parts from here: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=207_160

Obviously I want the best deal on parts so what ever is best for me at the lowest cost.

I have no idea on what parts are compatible but I like EK cpu waterblocks and gpu waterblocks, also I like the XSPC dual 5.25" res's.

I think you can fit a 240mm rad in the top of my case and im not sure what size rad could go in the front but you can fit a 200mm fan in the front?

Thanks for the help.

If you need any more details please don't hesitate to ask.

Please as much info for me as I have little knowledge on watercooling itself.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The xpsc rasa kits are amazing for your type of needs because it comes with the reservoir, pump, tubing, fans, water blocks for intel, and everything else. Plus it would be easier to get down to you.
thumb.gif

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_45&products_id=16536

Also for a cheap fans that are really good I would use Yate Loon fans. The mediums are great for a push/pull system on the radiator. You might want another radiator in the loop if you have the CPU overclocked at all.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by glinux View Post

The xpsc rasa kits are amazing for your type of needs because it comes with the reservoir, pump, tubing, fans, water blocks for intel, and everything else. Plus it would be easier to get down to you.
thumb.gif

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_45&products_id=16536
Some people have said that those cpu blocks are bad because they aren't copper or something?

EDIT: also will the res, pump, rad, tubing and bars be reusable for future builds?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
First of all, most of the parts that you buy are not platform specific. Pumps, rads, fans, tubing, fittings, reservoirs don't change. CPU blocks can usually be mounted on a range of sockets, and when a refresh comes along (like the 2011) there will be mounting kits available pretty quickly, if the old ones don't work. Full cover GPU blocks are design specific, they are made to fit one card and one card only. Universal or GPU only blocks are, well, universal. They will fit many different cards, are cheaper however only cool the GPU core.

Have you looked at kits? Something like a Rasa 240 kit would get you started, then add the 200mm rad in later, or at the start depending on budget and needs. Are you looking at adding a GPU too? What kind of budget?

Pretty much all parts are compatible, G1/4 threaded ports are a standard now, so you can use any rad with any pump etc. The things you need to watch out for is matching the fitting size to the tubing size; for example 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD tubing needs 1/2" x 3/4" compressions or 1/2" barbs and 3/4" clamps.

A for sizing pump and radiator requirements, have a read of some threads on WCing a 650D, quite a few people have done it so you should get a good idea of what radiators will physically fit. For the pump you will be looking at something like a Laing D5 / DDC or maybe a Jingway 1200 rebrand (CPX-Pro, EK 4.0). Check out the pump / rad optimizer spreadsheet on Martin's site (linked below).

Have a read of the WCing stickies, Martin's blog and Skinnee Labs for some more info.

Do your research first, it saves time, money and heartache in the long run.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My bad but that one is way better because of the thicker radiator.
thumb.gif

This guy has some more pics of what's in the kit.
http://pc.mmgn.com/Articles/XSPC-Rasa-750-RS240-Water-cool

All of the stuff should be re-usable for a future build but the tubing is 7/16" over 1/2" barbs so it will be a tight fit but it will work. I would recommend using the full 1/2" tubing for the next time you upgrade the loop but it's not necessary.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post

First of all, most of the parts that you buy are not platform specific. Pumps, rads, fans, tubing, fittings, reservoirs don't change. CPU blocks can usually be mounted on a range of sockets, and when a refresh comes along (like the 2011) there will be mounting kits available pretty quickly, if the old ones don't work. Full cover GPU blocks are design specific, they are made to fit one card and one card only. Universal or GPU only blocks are, well, universal. They will fit many different cards, are cheaper however only cool the GPU core.
Have you looked at kits? Something like a Rasa 240 kit would get you started, then add the 200mm rad in later, or at the start depending on budget and needs. Are you looking at adding a GPU too? What kind of budget?
Pretty much all parts are compatible, G1/4 threaded ports are a standard now, so you can use any rad with any pump etc. The things you need to watch out for is matching the fitting size to the tubing size; for example 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD tubing needs 1/2" x 3/4" compressions or 1/2" barbs and 3/4" clamps.
A for sizing pump and radiator requirements, have a read of some threads on WCing a 650D, quite a few people have done it so you should get a good idea of what radiators will physically fit. For the pump you will be looking at something like a Laing D5 / DDC or maybe a Jingway 1200 rebrand (CPX-Pro, EK 4.0). Check out the pump / rad optimizer spreadsheet on Martin's site (linked below).
Have a read of the WCing stickies, Martin's blog[/url] and Skinnee Labs[/url] for some more info.
^This = great info.
thumb.gif
Definitely put together your loop and post it on here and we can save you from any headaches when you actually buy everything.
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Have a read of the WCing stickies, Martin's blog[/url] and Skinnee Labs[/url] for some more info.
Ohk thank you for clearing up the "life" of the parts.

I have looked at these 2 kits;

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_45&products_id=16619

I am looking to add my gpu and someone recommended this;

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_878_880&products_id=18398

I wont be buying anything blindly don't worry. That's why I posted this thread.

Thank you for the help, I lost you in the diameter of the tubing though :S

+1 anyway!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Im looking to make a wc loop might get a kit but want to make it look nice too is it possible to change the tubing with the rasa kit ? Will it decrease temps like a custom loop or close?
My CPU is at 70 C when in bf3 and oc @ 3.8Ghz..

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu97416 View Post

Im looking to make a wc loop might get a kit but want to make it look nice too is it possible to change the tubing with the rasa kit ? Will it decrease temps like a custom loop or close?
My CPU is at 70 C when in bf3 and oc @ 3.8Ghz..
Tubing is tubing and it's interhangable to whatever you want.
thumb.gif

Tubing is defined by an ID or Inner Diameter and an OD or Outer Diameter. For barbs the Inner Diameter is the thing you need to worry about because the inner part of the tubing will go over the barb and create the seal. For Compression fittings, they are defined by both the ID AND OD which means that the tube will slip over a barb type of thing and then the outer part of the compression part will screw over the inner part and create an awesome looking fitting that is completely watertight without the need of a clamp or zip tie to keep the tubing on the barb. hopefully that made some sense lol

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
the rasa rx240 is an excellant choice and will cool your cpu and gpu no problem...and of course you could add an extra 120 or 200 rad down the road if you wanted to...and i would advise buying diff tubing...the tubing that comes with the kit will turn yellow after a couple months...other than that it has everything you need...and yes it will perform as well as a custom loop...thats what it is..just al parts already matched up ready to go
smile.gif

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'll need help with the fans and building all together
So the extra fans I should put on the rad and what will a second rad help with?

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguitar View Post

Thank you for the help, I lost you in the diameter of the tubing though :S
No problem. The tubing sizes I would recommend are either

1/2" x 3/4"
7/16" x 5/8"
3/8" x 5/8"

Where the first number is the inner diameter (ID) and the second the outer diameter (OD). There is really no performance difference between the sizes, just looks and flexibility (the smaller tubing can curve in a tighter radius without kinking). I would avoid the thinner wall tubing like the 3/8" x 1/2" as it is more prone to kinking.

If you are using barbed fittings you need to match the ID of the tubing to the fitting and the OD of the tubing to the clamp. The only exception to this is if you use 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs; this provides a very tight seal without the need for clamps.
barb, clamp for 1/2" x 3/4" tubing
293843f01419f0cd3021f0b9fa9bca15.image.80x80.JPG
2469c7412fac5b371f1cf7c8ca2f02f0.image.100x78.jpg

If you are using compression fittings you need to match both the ID and OD of the tube to the fitting, there are no exceptions to this. So 3/8" x 5/8" tubing would require a 3/8" x 5/8" compression fitting.
example
1611e72ecc8be4e2b66fb109c1fc34d3.image.93x80.jpg

There is no difference in performance or security between barbs and compressions so long as each is fitted correctly, the only difference is looks and price - barbs are cheaper.

The Rasa kits come with the fittings you need - 1/2" barbs and some clamps - along with the tubing - 7/16" x 5/8" I believe. However if you want to add other components you will obviously need to buy fittings for them. Also if you want to replace the tubing it is good to use the same size as the kit, so that you don't have to replace all the fittings as well.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu97416 View Post

I'll need help with the fans and building all together
So the extra fans I should put on the rad and what will a second rad help with?
i think he was saying your case seems to be running kinda hot and you need to address your fan positioning or direction to get some cooler air in there....the rasa kits come with fans that are matched to work well with the rad

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinnocent View Post

i think he was saying your case seems to be running kinda hot and you need to address your fan positioning or direction to get some cooler air in there....the rasa kits come with fans that are matched to work well with the rad
Sorry about that but yes the fans need to be adjusted a bit so there is better airflow inside the case which will help the radiators dissipate the heat better.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glinux View Post

Sorry about that but yes the fans need to be adjusted a bit so there is better airflow inside the case which will help the radiators dissipate the heat better.
this

if you go with a rasa kit you'll want to mount the rad so that the fans are pulling fresh cool air into it

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

the rasa rx240 is an excellant choice and will cool your cpu and gpu no problem...and of course you could add an extra 120 or 200 rad down the road if you wanted to...and i would advise buying diff tubing...the tubing that comes with the kit will turn yellow after a couple months...other than that it has everything you need...and yes it will perform as well as a custom loop...thats what it is..just al parts already matched up ready to go
smile.gif
So what if I just water cool my cpu until the GTX 700 series comes out and then I just get a reference card to make it easier to find a full cover block?

So if it alright if I just water cool my cpu now until the next gpu series comes out?

also will this tubing work with the RS240 kit as I am not sure if the RX240 will fit :S

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_853&products_id=17027

also lol will the RX240 fit in my case with my motherboard? or should I just get the RS240 to be safe? I want the best possible performance as well though but not if it doesn't fit.
Quote:

smile.gif
Quote:

-snip-
So anyway is this a good start for me?

XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit

XSPC High Flex Hose, 1/2, Blue/UV Blue for tubing? I'm not sure how much I need but it is sold for $9.50 AUD per metre

In total with one metre of tubing and the RS240 kit it comes to $148.50 AUD to water cooling my cpu and get the nice new 1/2" tubing like you guys said also its UV/blue which is good because look, I have some nice new cold cathodes
biggrin.gif

Also out of these which is the best for me; I like the black compression fittings.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=207_160_300&vk_sort=0

I am lost atm sorry :S

So basically I will be getting the RS240 XSPC kit, but I am still lost as to which fittings and tubing I need (not lost just need help picking some).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Here is an example of a push/pull setup on a radiator and will create the best way to move air over the fins to help dissipate the heat.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts