Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be retiring my SR-2 to server duty soon and I am planning my next build. It will be extreme as usual, 6950X, most likely two 980Ti's and all water cooled. My biggest issue, or question will be which MB manufacturer? At this point, I have used all of them at least once. I prefer extended MB's as I prefer more room to work with. I also dislike many of the crazy color schemes. I prefer all black, but that does not typically happen, with the exception of ASUS, however stability, performance and OC capabilities are my main concerns.

I just purchased the Dell 34" curved monitor and my current cards drive it pretty well, but I suspect the 980's will make it pop.

I simply seek some suggestions as I have been out of the scene for a while. My current setup performs very well, but it lacks many of the newer features available, some of which I desire.

TIA

Rocky

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
If you like beastly builds with EATX motherboards and a neutral color scheme, it sounds like the MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon is right up your alley....

Newegg link

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds beast. not sure if you are doing the 980ti because of this and a price drop but the 1080 is supposed to be announced today. Personally I would wait and get the 1080 but obviously nothing is for sure on it yet.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Boe View Post

If you like beastly builds with EATX motherboards and a neutral color scheme, it sounds like the MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon is right up your alley....

Newegg link
Many thanks, I do like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherBoard PSU View Post

Sounds beast. not sure if you are doing the 980ti because of this and a price drop but the 1080 is supposed to be announced today. Personally I would wait and get the 1080 but obviously nothing is for sure on it yet.
I will go with the 1080's if H20 blocks are available when everything hits the shelves. I have to do a bit more benching first. I am currently running at 4.3 with my 5680's and I have no issues in any games or applications. It may be an older platform, but I still very much enjoy it. I am trying to figure out how much overall performance gain I will get by upgrading. I used to do a new build every 12-14 months, but the SR-2 changed all of that. I truly wish that evga would come out with another monster like this.

Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theseekeroffun View Post

Many thanks, I do like that.
I will go with the 1080's if H20 blocks are available when everything hits the shelves. I have to do a bit more benching first. I am currently running at 4.3 with my 5680's and I have no issues in any games or applications. It may be an older platform, but I still very much enjoy it. I am trying to figure out how much overall performance gain I will get by upgrading. I used to do a new build every 12-14 months, but the SR-2 changed all of that. I truly wish that evga would come out with another monster like this.

Thanks
Ahh i see. Im still on air cooling until i get a house where I can run the radiator outside. I normally stick with a build for 3 years and do minor change along the way to supplement my hardware buying needs LOL. I went with the 5820K in hopes to make the CPU last longer than my normal 3 year mark we will see what is to come with hardware performance. Im really wanting a 1080 though as I can take my 970 and finally put my 2500K back into use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts