Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am trying to upgrade my i5 3570k to a faster i7 3770k chip. I just got the used CPU on ebay and plugged it into a non-overclocked/standard setup computer. As soon as I ran Prime95 on Small FFTs to test the used CPU the temperatures started going very high. 95 C to 101 C within maybe ten seconds.

1) This computer does only have the Intel CPU fan/heatsink installed, could this be the most likely problem?

2) s there another way to test the CPU just to make sure it's not faulty without taking a chance of damaging it (I'd like to return it if it isn't good)?

Thank you!
 

·
What should be here ?
Joined
·
5,730 Posts
Could you provide detailed system specs of this system ? ie what board, PSU, RAM etc etc.
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
46,953 Posts
I think its normal with stock cooler. Try playing a game or something and see how hot it gets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

Could you provide detailed system specs of this system ? ie what board, PSU, RAM etc etc.
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V

PSU: Corsair CX600

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 4GB Single DDR3 1600 (x2 for 8GB)

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 670
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
i guess its normal for stock intel cooler.
Quote:
2) s there another way to test the CPU just to make sure it's not faulty without taking a chance of damaging it (I'd like to return it if it isn't good)?
play some games
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantian View Post

Which version of prime 95 did you download and run. If its one of the newer ones, than everything is fine, since it is running avx and that gets the heat up insanely fast, the older version should run up to 80-90c in prime, with that chip on stock cooler
Yes, I think it's the newest version (p95v287.win64)

I also just looked at the log and I received a Fatal errors on two of the processors. Could that be because of the excessive heat or is there a problem with the CPU?
 

·
semi-legit
Joined
·
7,980 Posts
With a stock cooler It does run pretty warm but even still with those temps I'm thinking you might want to reseat the cooler and re-apply some TIM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van View Post

With a stock cooler It does run pretty warm but even still with those temps I'm thinking you might want to reseat the cooler and re-apply some TIM.
I'll try to do that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reseating the cooler did seem to help. The temps stayed under 98 C after running for about 3 minutes, but then it crashed to BSOD. Error 124

So I updated the BIOS and now running Prime95 again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Results:

Temps seem to be okay(staying under 92 C) as long as the Bios is not set to "boost" mode.

In "boost" mode, temps are neering 105 C

Seems the stock cooler just can't keep up with Prime95 with the mildest OC (bios preset one)

Going to retest once I pull my Coolermaster CPU heatsink out of my main computer and replace the stock cooler in the testing computer.
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
46,953 Posts
You might want to delid the CPU. Its very easy with 3770K with Vice Method.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

You might want to delid the CPU. Its very easy with 3770K with Vice Method.
Yeah, I've been seriously thinking about doing that. Especially if I keep this CPU since I've seen a difference of 10 C between the cores. Once I get it into my gaming PC with some watercooling, I'll see how the temps are there as well.
 

·
semi-legit
Joined
·
7,980 Posts
You can also replace the stock cooler altogether. Is this a custom build or are we talking about swapping out chips on a pre-built machine here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van View Post

You can also replace the stock cooler altogether. Is this a custom build or are we talking about swapping out chips on a pre-built machine here?
Yes, this is a custom build. Both of my PC's are,the one with the new chip in it now is more of a family computer that has the stock cooler in it still; my other PC is my custom gaming rig. I'm going to take the Coolermaster heatsink out of my gaming PC and put it into the other PC, because I just got a new case and a CPU watercooler. The 3370k chip is going into my gaming system once it is ready and then I'll be doing some OC'ing on it.

So, yes, when all is done I'll have the 3770k in my gaming rig with watercooling and my old 3570k will be in the family PC with the Coolermaster air cooler.
 

·
semi-legit
Joined
·
7,980 Posts
Ah OK then well that makes things easier.
See how your temps are with the new cooler when you get it on first, if you're still not happy after that you can always delid as mentioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opiate View Post

Results:

Temps seem to be okay(staying under 92 C) as long as the Bios is not set to "boost" mode.

In "boost" mode, temps are neering 105 C

Seems the stock cooler just can't keep up with Prime95 with the mildest OC (bios preset one)

Going to retest once I pull my Coolermaster CPU heatsink out of my main computer and replace the stock cooler in the testing computer.
I gave my wife my old 2500k gaming rig, but provided her the Intel stock cooler. I had set the board to my low voltage mild overclock profile, 4.2ghz and it never had intense heat issues with Prime 95. You say that board had a boost mode, is that just standard turbo or a clock the board provides? I feel like it may be setting the voltage to high if it's heating up that much. 2500k isn't the same CPU but it behaves similarly with to much voltage.

Any luck getting the CPU into your gaming rig yet? I'm always curious to see what people are getting on their 3770k.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top