Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, just installing linux ubuntu to another computer, just wondering what can i do with it, any software i should get i want to make it similar to windows, just with more, really can anyone sum up the features to this OS?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i seen the screensots and i am installing, just wanted to know what i can do with it,

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well, everything like Windows (surf web, edit docs, etc.) except you can't:
- Play games
- Run common home use software
- Run most power user software (as published for w32.. there are always *ux approximations)

Of course, you should certainly dabble with Wine. Try out a few productivity suites (like OpenOffice or Siag or whatever.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh right that game sounds good, i just really need some help getting started on how to use installing probrams stuff like that you know if it does everything like window but a little better i really really want to isntall this onto my computer, i am just using the computer i have it on now to run a few tests and see waht it is like so far i am well impressed i just need to find out a little more about it its potential, getting used to how it works and i will hopefully be using linux ubuntu a little more.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also my mozilla has stopped working for some reason i dont know to to reinstall or do anything with it yet, i need to take a peek at a user guide or somthing similar so i can get used to the whole linux platform

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
I got to goto work but here is the ubuntu wiki
wiki.ubuntu.com/

Also to install alot of apps go to applications>add applications

in there you will find tons of apps. Make sure that you click on more programs under each category.

To install non debian packages you will ned to use Alien to convert them to your distro.

Anyways I gotta go. Good luck
Spooked

1 - 8 of 8 Posts