Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,<br><br>
I'm glad I had an opportunity to join this forum. Please forgive me as these questions are rather amatuer. This will be my 1st time building a system. Recently I have acquired a DFI Infinity 975X motherbroad with an Intel Core 2Duo E6600 processor. However, I do not know which type of ram would be sufficient in building this unit. I was hoping to use 4 @ 1 GB of G.Skill PC2 6400 with 4-4-4-12 timing and a CAS Latency of 4. This unit would be used primarily as a gaming unit. I would like to ask the opinion of all the members of Overlock.net to see if this would be sufficient. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Go for the G.skill and welcome

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Welcome. Once your parts arrive (or right now), go ahead and fill in your system specs.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wouldn't take 4 sticks, it is way slower in dual channel mode then 2, at least on AMD chipsets it is.<br><br>
You will be better of saving the money and getting 2 @ 1 GB , besides it not that much of a difference, not with the current games.<br><br>
Welocome to OC.net BTW

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Hellgy</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I wouldn't take 4 sticks, it is way slower in dual channel mode then 2, at least on AMD chipsets it is.<br><br>
You will be better of saving the money and getting 2 @ 1 GB , besides it not that much of a difference, not with the current games.<br><br>
Welocome to Overclock.net BTW</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Intel doesnt have much ofa proble with all 4 slots. Either way, 4gb is useless, 2gb is plent enough so save yourself ~300 dollars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I was reading about CAS Latency. I guess where I'm really confused about is technically you want the CAS Latency as low as possible right? So buying RAM that has a CAS Latency of 5 compared to one that has a CAS Latency of 4, the one with the lower Latency would run faster correct?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>changster8260</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Well I was reading about CAS Latency. I guess where I'm really confused about is technically you want the CAS Latency as low as possible right? So buying RAM that has a CAS Latency of 5 compared to one that has a CAS Latency of 4, the one with the lower Latency would run faster correct?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
For Conroe the difference between a CAS latency between 4 and 5 is very minimal. In fact I can barely find any differeces in benchmarking, so go ahead and get the 5 if you wish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I've got these parts:<br>
1. Intel Core 2 Duo E6600<br>
2. DFI Infinity 975X<br>
3. G.Skill 2GB (2 @ 1GB) Latency: 4<br>
So my next concern is if I'm overclocking this computer, what type of Cooling recommendations can be made? I was thinking about a Zalman?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>changster8260</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">So far I've got these parts:<br>
1. Intel Core 2 Duo E6600<br>
2. DFI Infinity 975X<br>
3. G.Skill 2GB (2 @ 1GB) Latency: 4<br>
So my next concern is if I'm overclocking this computer, what type of Cooling recommendations can be made? I was thinking about a Zalman?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Zalmans aren't that great. My reccomendation would be the <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106061" target="_blank">Big Typhoon</a>. With my case flow and the BT I run ambient temps at idle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you don't think a water cooling system is necessary right? I've had many friends who are die hard fans of these water cooling systems and stand by them so much.

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
I would look into a different motherboard. The DFI is a bit of a pain in the neck. The lastest official BIOS has only limited overclocking options (very limited RAM settings, basically only timings, RAM speed, and voltage). Also, no way to change multi.<br><br>
I am using a Beta version of the BIOS right now, and it's ok..hitting 3.5GHz, but not able to get any higher. I would get 2GB RAM and a better motherboard like the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe or the new ABIT A9W MAX (although that one only has one PCI slot)<br><br>
Water cooling will allow a better overclock, to about 3.8GHz or so. It's up to you whether it's worth the extra money.<br>
Good air coolers are the big Noctua, the Scythe Infininity, and the second generation of the Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

·
Registered
517 Posts
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>mycomputersucks</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">For Conroe the difference between a CAS latency between 4 and 5 is very minimal. In fact I can barely find any differeces in benchmarking, so go ahead and get the 5 if you wish.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Yes but then he can loos the CAS to 5 and squeeze some more MHz out of it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts