Overclock.net banner

new water block design

1K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Burn 
#1 ·

hmm, this might be something i need to look into, because that might be a really efficient design. with some minor tuning, removing some of the pins, that'd become an excellent block design, it's taken from the Dominator Pro series Peltiers.

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah, i was figuring taking many out of there, because heat just doesen't pass through many of them. keep in mind that this is designed to sit on top of a pelt, and pelts create heat everywehre, not just where a CPU core sits. therefore, i can omit the outside pins and keep the inside ones...

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*
yeah, i was figuring taking many out of there, because heat just doesen't pass through many of them. keep in mind that this is designed to sit on top of a pelt, and pelts create heat everywehre, not just where a CPU core sits. therefore, i can omit the outside pins and keep the inside ones...
the dominators designed the block top for those pins..

there are 4 holes, 2 in 2 out
if you omit those pins you will be causeing the water to take a path around the pins and there will be more heat near the pins...

#5 ·
i'm going to make some MSpaint to show you what i mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist
the dominators designed the block top for those pins..

there are 4 holes, 2 in 2 out
if you omit those pins you will be causeing the water to take a path around the pins and there will be more heat near the pins...

#9 ·
yeha, i'm trying to host the picture, it'll be up in a bit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Inquisitor

I believe there is a swiftech that I saw with that same design

#14 ·
now here's the real question: rounded pins or square ones? i don't know how detailed my uncle can get w/ a milling machine, but if he can CNC it, he can do just about anythign...i'll talk to him about it.

#16 ·
Quote:

also, what do my waterblock dimensions need to be? L*W dimensions, ShawnMcGrail, you should probably chime in soon....lol
Personally, for the pins, I would say either triangle, or if possible, hexagons.. the hex's would be the best.. most surface area... or would round be better then hexagons?
EDIT*
ALSO! Before you build the block, make sure you know how your going to seal it!!!!!
I've just screwed myself right over with the sealing... nothing wants to work for the pump that I have.. I think the flow rate is just destroying it... lol
I think the best bet, would be to have your uncle milling in a circular groove around the whole area that the water flows through, that you could put a big O-ring in, like the DD blocks.

#17 ·
ok, i'll metion that to him...thanks. i think i'm going to use silicone, but i'll ask him to machine in a shallow groove for it to sit in, just so that the silicone has a place to sit, nice and sealed. thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail
Personally, for the pins, I would say either triangle, or if possible, hexagons.. the hex's would be the best.. most surface area... or would round be better then hexagons?
EDIT*
ALSO! Before you build the block, make sure you know how your going to seal it!!!!!
I've just screwed myself right over with the sealing... nothing wants to work for the pump that I have.. I think the flow rate is just destroying it... lol
I think the best bet, would be to have your uncle milling in a circular groove around the whole area that the water flows through, that you could put a big O-ring in, like the DD blocks.

#18 ·
ATVkid, If you really want an amazing performing block, check into the Storm/G4 by little river waterblocks... I was in another forum (located near me) who are really into watercooling. They all say that its one of the best, and cheapest waterblocks around.
I think it looks amazing, and Its all done by a few guys in ontario, so they can't ship anyout due to backorders.
Get a few pictures, draw up a design, and send that to your uncle... that would be amazing... lol

#20 ·
oh yeah, i was slightly concerned with the non-machined in part of the left side of the waterblock, it should look like a DD RBX's barbs, with 2 on the outside and 1 flowing right over the pins... now, should i do a RBX's barb setup with those pins in there, following roughly what the G4 looks like?

#21 ·
Quote:

oh yeah, i was slightly concerned with the non-machined in part of the left side of the waterblock, it should look like a DD RBX's barbs, with 2 on the outside and 1 flowing right over the pins... now, should i do a RBX's barb setup with those pins in there, following roughly what the G4 looks like?

TDX you mean right? Its only a dual-barbed block.. lol

#22 ·
nope, look at the G4. it has 2 barbs, one on the right and one on center. what i'd do, to maximize flow, is to make it RBX-style and put two outlets on both sides, then 1 inlet directly over the CPU.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

TDX you mean right? Its only a dual-barbed block.. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.