Overclock.net banner

Do you think the drive is probably just defective?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Actually, it might be another issue such as firmware, driver, or motherboard setting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Not sure if my hard drive is defective.

It's a brand new WD Red 1TB. This was supposed to replace a dying WD Blue 1TB.
frown.gif

AS SSD reports a hilariously unusable ~0.8 MB/s sequential read speed, but a reasonably fast 156.04 MB/s write. I can attest to the utter uselessness of the read speed.
  • HDD reads arguably take less energy than writes- it's not a power issue.
  • The SATA cable and mobo port are fine. I tested to make sure.
I strongly doubt any mobo setting would help- I'm running in AHCI mode. I have an AM3+ mobo (Gigabyte 970A-D3P).

As soon as I confirm this drive is still slow in my other rig, I'm requesting an RMA now, but does anyone have a helpful idea or advice? Answer the poll if applicable and you want to. Thanks!

SOLUTION: WOW, I did not expect this one. After I reconnected the drive, all seems well. Poor SATA connection, maybe?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi @Slink!

I'm happy to hear that the problem was solved! It is hard to say whether or not the issue was related to the SATA connection or just the PC needed to be restarted.

I just wanted to add that the best way to make sure what's the health of your HDD is to run a diagnostic check and look at the S.M.A.R.T. results. For the WD drives I recommend Data Lifeguard Diagnostics since it's the manufacturers tool and it is tuned specifically for our hard disks. Here's a link to the program:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=53JwX6

Hope this helps, mate and best of luck!
smile.gif

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. It had been restarted, iirc. But you're right. I'm a terrible technician! (We all have our bad days. "The shoemaker's kids go barefoot.") hahaha. The drive worked flawlessly on my other older rig, without rebooting at all after connecting the drive for the first time. SHRUGS!

IME, there must have been a bad connection. Also worth noting, I MAY have had a fan too close to the HDD, parallel and above it blowing down on it (like half an inch away, 15 mm). I imagine the magnetic inductance would not be good for things...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts