Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone suggest why my computer will not activate my copy of win 7. I bought it from PC world, although not the best computer store. I doubt its a fake copy. Will appreciate help alot thx

Code; 0xC004C008

The activation server determined the specified product key could not be used

EDIT: I actually remember buying it. I brought a blank case to the desk off the shelf. Then the guy got one of his mates and some other guy handed me a Windows 7 copy in the box, but yeah the seal on the top was broke and i thought it was odd, but didnt really care at the time. Yeah I have to be honest I think someone had used it at PC world. And yeah I am tired and will not bother tonight but trust me lads tomorrow I am gunna go up there and cause such a massive beef. Get that PC world manager down and demand some compensation in some form or another. I have my eyes on that nice coolermaster stacker thats on the back shelf for some time. Ill think ill have that for my second PC.

This is just like the time when I bought metal gear solid from blockbuster and it was scratched. NEW!. Yeah ive learned my lesson and im not buying any more software or games unless it is sealed ever again.

You know what. Im gunna ring up microsoft get a new product key and then take it back to PC world. See how they like that douchbags.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChvyVele View Post
What's the error that you're getting?
Okay is just says it was unable to activate. Then when I go for more information on error. I get this :

Code; 0xC004C008

The activation server determined the specified product key could not be used

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
That error code suggests that the key has already been used, was it sealed when you bought it ???

Is this on a fresh install of windows ??? (i would think yes but just checking)

Best thing to do is call microsoft, if they dont sort it then promptly return it to PC world

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
There's any easy fix for this. I had to do it with my new system. Installed W7 on my old Dell XPS and then built my current one. Went to install it and I had the same problem. Instead of Internet activation do the call-in option. It takes about 10 minutes but I was able to get it installed. Hopefully it works for you.

Hopefully its just the activation server and not the version you have or if someone opened the box to get the code.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
can't you just refund it? looks like the license was already used, had this problem when I bought from PCworld a long time ago, thought they'd fix it:\\

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
First off, DON'T PANIC!

Secondly, call Microsoft, as in use the automated telephone, when trying to activate.

I've seen this problem countless times, after dialing in, blam, activated..

You can get the Automated Telephone # when you go to activate windows 7 like you normally go to do over the internet, just look for it under the options, it's not hard to find.

·
Premium Member
4,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by _GTech View Post
First off, DON'T PANIC!

Secondly, call Microsoft, as in use the automated telephone, when trying to activate.

I've seen this problem countless times, after dialing in, blam, activated..

You can get the Automated Telephone # when you go to activate windows 7 like you normally go to do over the internet, just look for it under the options, it's not hard to find.
well if he does that, and if the key has been used multiple times, on different machines, wont MS eventually blacklist the cd key?

i think his best course of action would be to take it back, and demand to know why he was given a pirated copy of windows 7, hopefully they can do something for you, if not, i would contact MS and report pcworld or whoever it is, as selling pirated software.

but it is always good idea if the seal is broken, don't purchase it, ask for another copy that is sealed right away.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would suggest just taking the copy back and either demanding a refund or a new, sealed copy. Even if you get it activated with a phone call to Microsoft, there is no telling how many times it has been installed previously. Why would you pay for a [shared] windows key when you paid for and should have an exclusive one?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts