Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Starting this Z170 build with a few existing parts. I appreciate ant feedback you can give me.

I already have the GTX 970 Golden GPU and the EVGA 750P PSU. I also have the Be Quiet fans.

The CPU cooler is a toss up, I have a coolermaster, but this black/white would look sweet in the rig.

It has been suggested that I go with WIN 8.1 and upgrade for free in order to own the older OS just in case. Thoughts??

Component

CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler Phanteks PH-TC14S_BK 68.1 CFM CPU Cooler

Thermal Comp. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 11.1g Thermal Paste

Motherboard Asus Z170-DELUXE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200

Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 Golden edition 4GB Video Card

Case Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System ???

Case Fan BitFenix BFF-SPRO-P14025WW-RP 122.2 CFM 140mm Fan
Be quiet! SilentWings 2 60.4 CFM 140mm Fan
Be quiet! SilentWings 2 60.4 CFM 140mm Fan
Aerocool DS 140mm White 93.4 CFM 140mm Fan
Aerocool DS 140mm White 93.4 CFM 140mm Fan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried to pick parts with the lowest noise profile, case fans, PSU (with ecco or passive fan), GPU with passive fans, the case itself, etc. I was hoping I could get feedback if these were the best I could do without going fan-less, or if there are better options. Thx. Lance

·
Registered
31 Posts
OK i'LL pick over this.
1. What are you using the pc for. - We need to know.
2. Z170 - nice chip-set.
3. 970 - nice.
4. you bought nice fans
5. case, nice as has built in noise foam.
6. nice processor.
7.enough ram
8. cooler good- but trust me thermal paste = thermal paste, mostly- hope it was not expensive.
9.right now we get to the rub, *** 2x samsung ssd's why?
10.Are you going to use the m.2 slot if not why not?
11. Can you please get a grip. Windows 8.1-10 are you f'ing kidding me?
So if your after a quite pc - win, your home free.
If your obsession is killing any extraneous noise from your pc - fail. - this is an obsession. each component needs attention.
Please build it then come back with problems that we can solve.
Enjoy.
Dave.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I own both the 120mm BeQuiet SW2s and the 120mm Aerocool DS, the later I found to be noiser. don't bother getting the two different kinds unless you're just going for looks. I wasn't very impressed with the DS; it wasn't bad, but unsurprisingly the unique silence features on it seemed to be mostly gimmicks. That being said, the fans on the CPU cooler will likely be louder than both of those case fans you chose. However, I haven't heard that cooler before so I'm just going off of the listed specs.

Don't even bother with the Bitfenix Spectre Pros.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much Lefik,
Do you know about the case fan supplied by Fractal Design? Would it be better to replace the rear fan as well with the BeQuiet? And then what about the CPU cooler fan? Replace as well?

Lance.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I've never used the GP14 fan that comes with the R5. I would not purchase any more replacement fans until you've tried the stock ones, unless it's well known that the fans are terrible. Acoustics can be very subjective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts