Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Custom User Title
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my power blew and so did my new motherboard. Newegg is taking it back though. Any recommendations on a new motherboard? I need to order it within the next 24 hours. Perferably not the Gene-V. My only requirement is that it has a PS/2 port!!! I am dropping a 3570k in it and so it needs to be ready for OC'ing! What should I get?

·
Custom User Title
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Budget is under 250ish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Sightup,
for me it would be between the ASRock X79 Extreme4 and ASRock X79 Extreme6 just compare it and check if the extra 50 is worth it for you.
i just got the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 and im very happy.

·
Custom User Title
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which is better and why?

·
Registered
5 Posts
the extreme6 is better because it has a few more ports in pci 1 usb 3 has 4 more ram slots like 6 more power phases think it might have a front panel usb 3 ....Supports Dual LAN with Teaming function with the bundled ASRock Game Blaster..... better onboard sound card... they nice extras but if u dont really need any of them or wan t;)
thumb.gif
i would go with the extreme 4 cause its 50 less

·
Custom User Title
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both are acceptable. Which is better for overclocking though?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Lol. should probably go with the z77 board. seeing as the other one isnt compatible hahahah

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I would go for the Z77 Extreme 4 or Extreme 6 as the X79 is an LGA2011 socket and will not support LGA1155 CPUs.

They both overclock similar with 6 having more features and additional power for 2+ cards.

·
Registered
915 Posts
SightUp
you do know Muskula is giving u X79 so basically scoket 2011. U need socket 1155 for z77 and i wud go for the z77 extreme 4 or 6 either one is nice.

Muskula-
PS/2 is a port that connects keyboard and/or mouse. Its either purple or green and round in shape. Every motherboard i know of has it

·
Registered
4,134 Posts

·
Custom User Title
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Musk, -1 rep...

Back to square one.

What motherboard should I get?

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
If your refering to the z77 extreme4 vs z77 extreme6 in overclocking i would say very little if anything. I think it will come down to the silicon lotto in the cpu as to how goo you can overclock.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Well either that or you can save $30 and get the extreme4. Look at each board features and see if the extreme6 warants the extra $30 for you. There are numerous other great borads out thier but either of these are very solid and reliable are great performance vs price boards
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SightUp View Post

Just so we are all clear, this is the one that everyone is recommending?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157295
http://www.asrock.com/mb/compare.asp?SelectedModel=Z77+Extreme6&SelectedModel=Z77+Extreme4

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=asrock%20z77&bop=And&CompareItemList=-1|13-157-293^13-157-293-02%23%2C13-157-295^13-157-295-02%23

These are some comparison between the two but if you want to save some money I would go with the Extreme 4. If you're going to do tri/quad sli/cfx then the Extreme 6 would be better since it has an extra 4 pin molex for additional power but for 1-2 cards the Extreme 4 is more than enough for your needs, in terms of OCing they will both OC similarly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts