Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
What can't a 4+1 phase do
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just started using Ubuntu 11.04 yesterday, and I've never run anything on linux before (BTW its not on the computer I'm on now) So I'm a wee bit confused with a few things. Mainly, I can't seem to install the latest nvidia driver to run WoW with off of wine. I disable the x server, and start the install, then it says that some file cant be opened, and an nvidia file might me able to fix it, then the install just crashes. Is there any newb friendly install guide to getting this nvidia driver downloaded? I managed to get the wow.exe to open, but it wont run because there is no GPU driver.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostmage
View Post

Hey everyone, I just started using Ubuntu 11.04 yesterday, and I've never run anything on linux before (BTW its not on the computer I'm on now) So I'm a wee bit confused with a few things. Mainly, I can't seem to install the latest nvidia driver to run WoW with off of wine. I disable the x server, and start the install, then it says that some file cant be opened, and an nvidia file might me able to fix it, then the install just crashes. Is there any newb friendly install guide to getting this nvidia driver downloaded? I managed to get the wow.exe to open, but it wont run because there is no GPU driver.

What you should be doing is installing the drivers from the "Restricted Drivers" program (it may be called "Hardware Drivers" now). Search for it in the dash (just type "restricted" or "drivers" or something, without the quotes) and it'll pop up. Click it, the program will pop up, it should look something like this:

Click on the reccomended NVIDIA drivers, then activate it, and reboot your system, and you should have graphics acceleration then.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
He could always add the X-swat repo to get the most up to date nvidia ones but that requires knowing how to kill nouveau.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmage;15235476
if you want to run the drivers that are available from nvidia, here's how.

download the drivers for your card from nvidia.com (make sure you select the linux version, 32 or 64 bit, depending on which one you installed.)

while they are download, do this:

open up a terminal, copy and paste the following:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic

^this stuff might already be installed by default, but this is just to make sure they are. after is done, copy and paste these:

echo options nouveau modeset=0 | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf

sudo update-initramfs -u

once you are done with that, if your download is done, do the following in terminal:

chmod +x ~/Downloads/

usually with the above command if you just type like NI for the niviad drivers name and then hit the tab key, it will auto complete. now restart, it should start in "vesa" mode, kill x again (since you said you already were able to accomplish this, i wont go into detail.)

at the cli, type in the following:

sudo sh ~/Downloads/

and hit enter, viola, it should proceed to install the official updated nvidia driver, and you will be on your way to playing WoW in no time
smile.gif

·
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Lawnchair;15235700
What you should be doing is installing the drivers from the "Restricted Drivers" program (it may be called "Hardware Drivers" now). Search for it in the dash (just type "restricted" or "drivers" or something, without the quotes) and it'll pop up. Click it, the program will pop up, it should look something like this:

hp-restricted-drivers.png

Click on the reccomended NVIDIA drivers, then activate it, and reboot your system, and you should have graphics acceleration then.
Well that looks easy. I still need to format the drive, reinstall ubuntu since I installed it alongside windows, and I don't want windows on there, and then get my programs again. But I'll try the hardware drivers option. Thanks.

·
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, heres an update, I got it installed, everything looks stable and such, and it says the nvidia driver is installed and enabled, but it doesnt let me activate it or anything... Not sure what to do there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts