Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I want to try to overclock my cpu, i just started doing this so i would love any and all advice.
In bios i see voltage options but they seem locked how can i unlock these and also i dont want to go extreme just a small overclock is ok for now i will be buying a new cpu soon but need a little more power for my ffxiv.

i have already changed 1 option and got this cpu to 3.05 lol, but didnt want to play with it without some advice, one time i messed with a few things and it wouldnt boot or even show up on the screen restarted the computer 2 times and it reset itself

·
Registered
416 Posts
using.. ATI Catalyst Control Center Overdrive?
check out this site, Tom's been around for a long time and there is some good stuff in that review/post

·
Registered
794 Posts
To ''unlock'' the voltages simply use the +/- keys instead of pressing enter on the voltage setting or enter the values manually.

What's important to know:
1-vcore=cpu voltage, in your case stock is around 1.32v... so for 3.05, stock is fine, but i don't consider 3.05 being an overclock since stock is 3ghz
If you want for example to oc to 3.2, try 1.33v or 1.34v, then run prime95 or occt for 1 hour, or more. If it crashes, then up the voltage.

2-If you want to attempt overclock over 200mhz, you MUST buy an aftermarket cpu cooler or your cpu will run too hot, and that's dangerous!

3-Your cpu is not a black edition cpu, so when you overclock, you use your fsb (reference clock, bus speed, whatever...it's all the same), so make sure your HT is always as close as possible as 2000mhz, and make sure your cpu/nb (and DRAM) gets enough voltage. If for example your cpu/nb is at 2400, 1.28v or so should be enough, you can always change that later.

Finally, don't attempt anything over your capacities, if you don't feel confortable in doing a higher overclock, don't do it, it will save your cpu and/or other components of your computer!

Have fun !

-polm

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
worker #2 caught a hardware failure so it stopped but worker 1 stayed working?? and i am unable to locate the stress.txt file.. Also my Avira stopped working so i returned everything to stock uninstalled avira and reinstalled it and everything seems to be working fine

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bansheetwin360
View Post

what test from prime should i run? is the occt as good as prime95 and maybe more newb friendly?

Run the custom test with 75% of your ram usage and if a worker stops it means your unstable my stable OC ran for 18 hours.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Occt maybe is a bit more newb friendly than prime95 and they both do the same job... might wanna try that. If your system is stable for 1 hour (at 1.29v 3.2ghz, i doubt it) thatn you can consider your system being enough stable to move on, and overclock further. Remember, your cpu temps muste stay under 60c while under load. You really should consider buying a cpu cooler, this should be fine enough:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...r%20212%20plus

If your cpu is hotter than 60c under load, set everything back to stock and wait for the cpu cooler before you continue overclocking.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Watch your ram speed. Keep it at or below its rated speed while OC'ing the CPU. Manually set ram voltage and timings for rated speed. What speed is your ram?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so it ran prime95 without any issues but even before i messed with it i was getting some errors got one just a bit ago

EVENT RECORDS SHOWS

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 d13afb28, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 8064d8cc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts