Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been BOINCing for quite a while (especially on [email protected]) and i've recently gotten interest in folding, for everything that can be learned of folding proteins, and possibly developing cures for diseases.

If i were to fold, i'd do so for 6-7 hours a day, at least 4-5 days a week (give me a couple days to play and liberate stress, if i get bored i'll fold again
) on my i3 ridge (I'll dedicate my HTPC to being an HTPC and SETI BOINCing). I plan to use both video cards and my i3 to fold. I'll be also keeping HT on to fully take advantage of the 4 threads this can handle. I also plan to see if i can get a higher overclock on this processor, as i've got cooling under control with my H50.

I've been reading the client guide, ans i've got a couple questions about all of them:

- When folding on CPU, given all the time frame i can fold and the processor power, should i still pick the Unicore or do you think i could finish a couple SMP WU's?
- Is there any difference between using the Unicore or the SMP client, besides of the bonus points?
- To fold on GPU, do i still need the GPU client for Fermis or is there any way to configure the same CPU client that you recommend me?

So far those are all my questions (for now). I hope to start folding next week, after the BOINCers gone Bonkers event

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
If you can only fold for certain peroids of the day then GPU folding is the way to go. That being said, since I only GPU fold as I cant keep my 2600K cool enough I dont notice a difference in gaming and general PC use from GPU folding. Aside from ever so slight increase in gaming temps (I'm talking 1-2'C here).

• Rep+
Reactions: Starbomba

·
Registered
541 Posts
^^I learned this today. I get significantly more ppd on my GPU under SMP than my i7.

·
Premium Member
46,116 Posts
I agree; I think if you're gonna be Folding sporadically, GPU Folding would be the safest option. It'll only take an hour or two to complete a WU, so very flexible if you want to stop. Plus, the deadline is a few days, and a couple of hours in 3 days means you could even stop Folding for a day and then pic it up.

Unicore will allow you to do that for the CPUs too, so you can set that up if you wish. The difference ebwteen SMP and Unicore is that each Unicore client only works on one core, so you'd need more than one.

Also, the deadline situation is much like GPUs; you've got a few weeks to finish each WU, and it won't take anywhere near that long. Whereas with SMP, you'll only have 3 or so days to complete, and it can take more than a day to complete, so you may be running too close to the deadlines.

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, GPU folding is my only route? Sucks that FaH WU's only last a couple days. Seems i'm too used to Seti WU's which last 2 weeks-2 months xD

Thanks for all the advice, will start folding next week

·
OG AMD
8,923 Posts
I don't know which client would get the most points but I have been running smp 3 and a gpu client while overclocked @ 4.3Ghz,and my temps don't go over 52c CPU and 58c GPU.Running all 4 with general pc use is not a problem.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Client question from a noob
biggrin.gif

My GPU PPD (5850) is around 5k, which doesn't seem too bad(11294).
However, my CPU (Amd 955) which is locked to cores 0,1,2 is only pulling 800 PPD.

Did I configure something wrong? Any ideas?

My CPU is O/C'd to 4060Mhz

·
Premium Member
46,116 Posts
If you're reading that off of client v7, it doesn't include bonus points. You're actually getting more PPD than that (provided you've completed 10 SMP WUs).

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Thank you!
At 8 WUs

·
Registered
641 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwoodz
View Post

I don't know which client would get the most points but I have been running smp 3 and a gpu client while overclocked @ 4.3Ghz,and my temps don't go over 52c CPU and 58c GPU.Running all 4 with general pc use is not a problem.

This is pretty much me too, I have my q6600 running -smp 3 at 3.2Ghz and my 4870 running on the 4th core 24/7 and still use the pc as needed (I use it to watch tv in my room via tuner card, with no problems) But I don't seem to be getting much ppd at all and can't really figure out why.

·
Premium Member
46,116 Posts
As above, once you complete 10 SMP WUs, you get bonus points. And with that, SMP WUs are worth quite a bit more.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac
View Post

As above, once you complete 10 SMP WUs, you get bonus points. And with that, SMP WUs are worth quite a bit more.

I hope so although I don't feel my machine is folding to par, as it sits right now its folding 24 hours setup like above on my gpu and cpu and on my i7 laptop at work under my name and I am still getting under 3k ppd .. I thinks something may be wrong here. Also forgot to turn off windows updates so I lost about 4 hours after a restart last night

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PLeXuS4200
View Post

I hope so although I don't feel my machine is folding to par, as it sits right now its folding 24 hours setup like above on my gpu and cpu and on my i7 laptop at work under my name and I am still getting under 3k ppd .. I thinks something may be wrong here. Also forgot to turn off windows updates so I lost about 4 hours after a restart last night

You need to put the shortcuts in the startup folder...

Located: C: - Users - (Log in name) - Appdata - Roaming - Microsoft - Windows - Start menu - Programs - Startup.

Just make a shortcut of your SMP and GPU client, place them in there. Then everytime you turn your machine on it will start folding...

·
Registered
641 Posts
I did that reaper, stupid 7 doesn't log me in, so when it restarted it just sat at the login screen, even though there is no password set.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts