Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am new to the forums and brand new to overclocking. I found this website just looking around the web, trying to find out how to overclock. I have read a lot of the threads here, but I am sad to say, they are a little over my head. I don't even know how to begin to overclock, but I would like to learn. So, can anyone give me any advise on where I can go to find some info on this, or can anyone explain the basics to me as if you where talking to someone that doesn't know the first thing about it?

I know a lot about computers, and have built a few, so it isn't like I won't catch on, or that I am totally stupid, it is just that I have never took the time to even attempt it. So, I guess I am just looking for some time of introduction to overclocking, if anyone can help, or guide me in the right direction.

Thank you very much!

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Just visit the main page, and look for the link on the right that says Intel- Overclocking Guide. That is the best place to start, if you need further assitance after that we are here.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Now dont forget to come back, your going to need years of training. lol

Ask anything, no question is a bad one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx all. I read that guide you where talking about, but I have a few questions which you probably guesed I would. First off under Basic BIOS 101 it says to check a few basic settings. They are; Spread Spetrum - "disabled", PCI/AGP/SATA - 'fixed' or 'locked' or '33/66/100', Stop unused PCI clock - 'enabled'. It then says that they may not show up that exact way, but they should be very very close to that. Well, I don't see anything even close. I looked under everything I could, and saw nothing.

Also, under the overclock portion. It starts off by saying, "If you have RAM that is rated to run on a faster bus than your CPU (i.e. a 533 mhz FSB CPU in conjunction with DDR400 RAM), awesome, you have headroom. You still want to set it to 1:1 operation, as this will offer the best performance." This isn't making since to me. if your RAM runs on a faster bus than your CPU shouldn't his/her example say something like 400mhz FSB CPU in conjunction with DDR533 Ram? Because if you RAM is rated to run on a faster FSB than your CPU wouldn't the stated speed of the RAM be higher than the stated speed of the CPU? Anyways, it then goes on to say the opposite situation, just as confusing at that, and then says set your RAM speed accordingly, but never says how.

Also, the next part talks about vcore, but in my BIOS I don't see anything by that name. I have an area that shows temps and all that, but the closest thing to vcore is something that says vcrrp or something like that. Not very close if you ask me.

Ok, for the last thing. It talks about upping my CPU speed. Well, I see the speed and all that, but it is grayed out, and there is no option on that screen that will enable me to change that. Also, even if my vcore was the vcrrp thing I mentioned above, I can't change that either. The only thing that was grated out, that I was able to enable and change was the RAM timings. And for some reason it says SDRAM next to the settings, even though my motherboard only takes DDR ram. It had an option to automaticly change it to the most aggressive settings, and I tired that but hit a brick wall. Freaked me out kind of.

Anyways, I know that is kind of a lot to read, but if anyone has had these problems or can help me in any way, I would appriciate it very much. Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonedog

Thanx all.
1. I read that guide you where talking about, but I have a few questions which you probably guesed I would. First off under Basic BIOS 101 it says to check a few basic settings. They are; Spread Spetrum - "disabled", PCI/AGP/SATA - 'fixed' or 'locked' or '33/66/100', Stop unused PCI clock - 'enabled'. It then says that they may not show up that exact way, but they should be very very close to that. Well, I don't see anything even close. I looked under everything I could, and saw nothing.

2. Also, under the overclock portion. It starts off by saying, "If you have RAM that is rated to run on a faster bus than your CPU (i.e. a 533 mhz FSB CPU in conjunction with DDR533 RAM), awesome, you have headroom. You still want to set it to 1:1 operation, as this will offer the best performance." This isn't making since to me. if your RAM runs on a faster bus than your CPU shouldn't his/her example say something like 400mhz FSB CPU in conjunction with DDR400 Ram? Because if you RAN is rated to run on a faster FSB than your CPU wouldn't the stated speed of the RAM be higher than the stated speed of the CPU? Anyways, it then goes on to say the opposite situation, just as confusing at that, and then says set your RAM speed accordingly, but never says how.

3. Also, the next part talks about vcore, but in my BIOS I don't see anything by that name. I have an area that shows temps and all that, but the closest thing to vcore is something that says vcrrp or something like that. Not very close if you ask me.

4.Ok, for the last thing. It talks about upping my CPU speed. Well, I see the speed and all that, but it is grayed out, and there is no option on that screen that will enable me to change that. Also, even if my vcore was the vcrrp thing I mentioned above, I can't change that either. The only thing that was grated out, that I was able to enable and change was the RAM timings. And for some reason it says SDRAM next to the settings, even though my motherboard only takes DDR ram. It had an option to automaticly change it to the most aggressive settings, and I tired that but hit a brick wall. Freaked me out kind of.

Anyways, I know that is kind of a lot to read, but if anyone has had these problems or can help me in any way, I would appriciate it very much. Thank you very much.

1. Some motherboard don't explicitly list or allow the user to change PCI frequencies, but it should have something to adjust the AGP bus.
2. Intel processors often use dual channel memory buses, so dual channel DDR400 memory is equal to an 800MHz bus, but if your processor bus is 533MHz, it leaves a little room for overclocking.
3. Not sure about that one. Vcore is also called Vid sometimes.
4. If such options are greyed out or not present it most often means your board is not overclockable, in which case you're out of luck. DDR memory is truly called DDR SDRAM.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

1. Some motherboard don't explicitly list or allow the user to change PCI frequencies, but it should have something to adjust the AGP bus.
2. Intel processors often use dual channel memory buses, so dual channel DDR400 memory is equal to an 800MHz bus, but if your processor bus is 533MHz, it leaves a little room for overclocking.
3. Not sure about that one. Vcore is also called Vid sometimes.
4. If such options are greyed out or not present it most often means your board is not overclockable, in which case you're out of luck. DDR memory is truly called DDR SDRAM.

Ok that clears up a lot. About the dual channel memory bus. I know mine does support that, but as of right now I only have one stick of 512MB DDR because I am planning on getting another stick soon. So when you say it is equal to an 800MHz bus is that 800MHz RAM bus, or processor bus? Meaning I could crank up my processor speed quite a bit?

Sorry, I know I ask a lot of questions, but like I said, I am a total newbie
neeyedsm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts