Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and a relatively uneducated in the ways of computer overclocking and troubleshooting. I know just enough to get in trouble, which apparently I have, or maybe I am just not looking in the correct place.

I am trying to experiment with adding more overclock to my current system. This system was purchased from IBUYPOWER 2 years ago and the basic specs are as follows:

i5-3570k(initially overclocked to 4100Mhz from IBUYPOWER)
mobo - ASUS P8z77-v lk (BIOS 0908)
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb-2 sticks of 4gb 1600mhz
video card - Nvidia GTX 660 2gb.

I am having issues with what BIOS is showing and what is showing on CPU-Z. Every time I input and save a new multiplier, after reboot to Windows, CPU-Z, Real Temp, Open Hardware Monitor, and Core Temp all show 4600MHz. I had previous tried this level, but got some high temps in the 70s during FSX, and while playing with vcore volts got some BSODs.

The last BSOD was when, for giggles, I downloaded and ran Prime 95 to see what would happen.(before this I was using ASUS ROG RealBench and Cinebench to test stability). Well within a matter of seconds, BSOD came up with 0xD1 which according to what I found on this site as meaning "QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary, can also be unstable RAM, raise RAM voltage". I also got "Chdrvr01.sys" with some code. This happened with 4600 showing in CPU-Z and 1.265 volts.

Again all I have messed with is freq. multiplier and voltage. I even tried loading the BIOS profile that was saved by the IBUYPOWER tech when they built and overclocked the computer. Same results after reboot. 4600MHz doesn't want to go away by just changing numbers in the BIOS, saving, and exiting.

On the other hand, I have also downloaded the ASUS AI Suite II that came on disk with the computer. Using this utility, I am able to change freqs and volts and they do show up in all the sensor programs listed above. But according to the ASUS inst. booklet, these settings do not save to BIOS after shutdown. So for now, when I turn on the computer and log in, I have to go to the AI Suite icon in the system tray, open it up and set the parameters I want and click apply.

So what do I do to get rid of the ever-present 4600 MHz on boot up? Do I need a BIOS update to fix this? Have read/heard this can be risky. Could I just try reloading optimized defaults using the BIOS? Looking forward to any and all ideas. I would like to try the Overclock Guide by Swag posted back in 8/8/12 on this forum.

Cheers,

Jerry

Postscript: This evening used AI Suite II to set 4200 MHz and vcore 1.265, and fired up FSX and flew for over an hour no problems(temps ranged from high 50s to mid-60s). Restarted the computer and entered BIOS. 46 was showing in the multiplier. I never typed that in???

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Are you sure you saved and exited the BIOS and didn't just exit?
Quote:
Could I just try reloading optimized defaults using the BIOS?
Why not? Although I have trouble believing you can't change the multiplier in the BIOS, a reset would probably fix it. If simply reloading factory settings doesn't work, remove the CMOS battery and that erases all the board settings. You can look up a guide to see how to remove the CMOS battery.

I think the only thing you need to know before resetting is that if your hard drives are set to AHCI and the board defaults to IDE, you need to set that to AHCI after the reset or you'll get a BSOD upon loading Windows. Also, you might have to fix the boot order as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Biohazard,

Did the F5 thing and when the computer rebooted (I didn't go into bios right away), the desktop looked like it did about 6 months to a year ago. Some programs were missing. Things I got rid of were back and things I had recently added were gone. Is this normal?

Cheers,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
No. That sounds more like an SSD that was interrupted while reading/writing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I recovered from that anxiety moment. Boot order had to be reset to what it was, so I am back to my normal desktop with everything where I left it. Now for the frustrating part. After going through all that and inputting the different values, after boot up, CPU-Z is still showing 4600MHz after I put 41 as my multiplier. I was thinking that maybe AI Suite II could be causing problems. That was installed when I did the F5 reset and of course was there when I rebooted to windows. So I uninstalled it. Here is the interesting part. I went into the ASUS folder in Program Files(x86) which consists of the folders: AAHM, AsSysCtrlService, AXSP, GpuBoostCom, and IO. I tried to delete this ASUS folder but was unable. Windows gave the following message: The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. According to folder properties, this file was created on Dec. 24, 2014 which is when I first installed AI Suite II. Would a system restore to an earlier time wipe out this ASUS material? Thanks again for trying to help me through all this.

Cheers,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiz Wheel View Post

Well, I recovered from that anxiety moment. Boot order had to be reset to what it was, so I am back to my normal desktop with everything where I left it.
So wait, you have an extra partition with an older copy of your entire system? What's wrong with you?
tongue.gif
But yeah, I told you the boot order might have to be reset. I couldn't have foreseen that you had an extra partition with a functional but old installation of Windows, that's something you should know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiz Wheel View Post

Now for the frustrating part. After going through all that and inputting the different values, after boot up, CPU-Z is still showing 4600MHz after I put 41 as my multiplier. I was thinking that maybe AI Suite II could be causing problems. That was installed when I did the F5 reset and of course was there when I rebooted to windows. So I uninstalled it. Here is the interesting part. I went into the ASUS folder in Program Files(x86) which consists of the folders: AAHM, AsSysCtrlService, AXSP, GpuBoostCom, and IO. I tried to delete this ASUS folder but was unable. Windows gave the following message: The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. According to folder properties, this file was created on Dec. 24, 2014 which is when I first installed AI Suite II. Would a system restore to an earlier time wipe out this ASUS material? Thanks again for trying to help me through all this.

Cheers,

Jerry
Just kill them in task manager first or use the AI Suite uninstaller, but yes, a system restore would work if you have a restore point before the installation.

It does sound like some software is adjusting the settings on launch. You can try using msconfig to disable all programs that start with Windows, go to BIOS, set multiplier to something else and see if that works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard View Post

So wait, you have an extra partition with an older copy of your entire system? What's wrong with you?
tongue.gif
Many things
tongue.gif
That's why I am on this forum. In terms of the old copy of my system, I copied from the SDD and put on the HDD just as a quick backup. Used Macrium Reflect. My hope is to just buy an external SSD and eventually clone or image the OS HD to that. But if you have good suggestions for system back up, please share.

Quote:
Just kill them in task manager first or use the AI Suite uninstaller, but yes, a system restore would work if you have a restore point before the installation.

It does sound like some software is adjusting the settings on launch. You can try using msconfig to disable all programs that start with Windows, go to BIOS, set multiplier to something else and see if that works.
Thanks for the info. Nate152 over at ROG is going to supply the link to the AI Suite 2 cleaner for me to try to get rid of any residuals. If that doesn't do it, I 'll do what you have here. Again, thanks for your help and patience.

Cheers,

Jerry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by B!0HaZard View Post

tongue.gif
Many things
tongue.gif
That's why I am on this forum. In terms of the old copy of my system, I copied from the SDD and put on the HDD just as a quick backup. Used Macrium Reflect. My hope is to just buy an external SSD and eventually clone or image the OS HD to that. But if you have good suggestions for system back up, please share.

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Nate152 over at ROG is going to supply the link to the AI Suite 2 cleaner for me to try to get rid of any residuals. If that doesn't do it, I 'll do what you have here. Again, thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Jerry

Postscript:

Well, looking at my restore settings, I can only restore back to Jan. 10, so restore seems to be a non-player. I couldn't find anything in msconfig that was related to ASUS, but will try disabling all programs that start with Windows. Also looked in Task Scheduler and found nothing related to ASUS. I did go into the registry and found something. Below is a screen shot. Autorun seems devious. Can I just delete these ASUS entries?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
I don't know much about editing the registry. Have you checked to see if there are any uninstallers in the ASUS folders? What about sorting the "remove programs" list by publisher and checking if anything was listed under ASUS?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I think I solved one problem to create more. I was curious about the bios EZ Mode and if setting something else in there it might make something happen. When I got in there, the center button was pushed for (I guess) medium overclock. I decided to click on the far left button for power saving option and saved and exited. Well on reboot, the core speed through CPU-Z showed 3400Mhz. I was ecstatic. So I went back into the bios advanced mode and loaded up the IBUYPOWER profile set by the tech. Saved, exited and looking at CPU-Z and numbers were good(4100MHz and 2.285 volts).

Now to the issues:

Sound is not working.
In the system tray, the audio icon has the red x and when I click on it says: "The Audio Service is not running. This computer cannot
play audio because the Windows Audio Service is not enabled. Would you like to enable the Windows Audio Service?" I then
click yes and the next message is "No audio devices are installed."

Internet is not working(I use a wireless N-300 USB adapter)
In Network & Sharing and View Network Status and Tasks it shows "The service to detect this status is disabled."

Some programs open up, but Microsoft Flight Simulator X does not: "MS Flight Simulator has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly." Etc., Etc., Etc. Never had this problem with this program before this recent BIOS adjustment.

Should I go into msconfig and select "Normal Startup - Load all device drivers and services"? Currently I am using Selective Startup.

Or should I try Windows Repair using the installation CD?

Cheers,

Jerry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, back in business. I booted into safe mode networking to see if Internet would pick up. Nothing changed, booted out of safe and started up in selective mode and walked away for a while. Came back logged in and voila, everything was working. Go figure.

I'd like to post some screen shots of CPU-Z and bios RAM settings to see if those are good or if I could improve on them before I start adjusting multipliers again. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Cheers,

Jerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts