Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there OCN, I've been looking to build a new computer for a while and I think its time. My budget is 800 max with the operating system, I don't need a GPU as I will be reusing my 9800GT 512MB until the newer graphics cards come out. Here is my plan so far.

CPU
i5-2500k for sure. I'll pick it up at my local Microcenter for 180, and it also shaves $50 off the motherboard, great deal. I will want to overclock it, but I'm not sure how.

Motherboard
Asus P8Z68-V LX Not much to say here, solid brand, solid price, its Z68.

RAM
Might as well go with 8GB since its so cheap. Kingston 8GB DDR3

Case
Fractal Design R3. I'm open to suggestions, but I do like sleek cases, without all those flashy lights and stuff.

PSU
Not sure how much power to aim for here. This is what I picked out: Seasonic 520W Modular

Optical
Nothing fancy needed, I'm even tempted to just skip out on this, but I'm not sure on how to install OS through flash drive.

Cooling
Everyone's favorite, the Hyper 212. Maybe I'll step up to the H60 but I'm not sure how much better cooling I'll see.

SSD
I've decided to hold on to my WD 80GB HDD until the prices drop, so instead I'll buy an SSD. Not sure which are good here.

OS
$65 at Softwaresupplygroup.com

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
The 2500k is super easy to overclock. It won't give you problems. As far as cooling goes, The Thermaltake Frio is an excellent cooler for the price. I have one, and it's outstanding. The Hyper212+ is pretty decent as far as price/performance goes, but don't expect to see super-awesome temps at ~4.5GHz+ unless you live in the arctic.

RAM is very cheap. I wouldn't get Kingston, I'd get something along the lines of G.Skill or Corsair. Personal preference, though.

Like a sleek non-flashy case? HAF 932 Black Edition. The Fractal is also a great case.

Power Supply... you'll want to get a 650W or higher if you plan on upgrading your GPU in the future (I would hope). Anything Corsair or Seasonic is a good choice.

Installing the OS through a flash drive is easy as cake. I don't have an optical drive. No need for it.

As far as SSD goes, Corsair makes one of the current favorites out there, and there's quite a few.

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would go for that motherboard, but I'd rather purchase mine at microcenter so I can cash in on that $50 saving.

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
It's a good build until you get your GPU it'll be limited on gaming. Save some money up for a good GPU and it'll be a great build.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts