Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just built my first computer and am looking to overclock it...but I don't really know where to start to do this. I've looked around on the net for help but haven't found what I'm really looking for I guess. Can anyone give me an idea of if/how much my system could be overclocked and how I should go about doing so? My system:

Abit IC7-G Motherboard
P4 2.4Ghz 800 FSB (northwood)
512Mb Kingston DDR333 Dual channel
128Mb Powercolor Radeon 9800 Video
80Gb Maxtor SATA-150 HD

...I think that's all you should need to know...if not let me know and I'll find out the rest. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,363 Posts
welcome to the forum!!!!!!

have you read the how to oc a intel guide on the homepage if not i recommend you do that will give you a bit of a idea and if you have any other questoins just ask thats what we are here for

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sword44
Hey everyone,

I just built my first computer and am looking to overclock it...but I don't really know where to start to do this. I've looked around on the net for help but haven't found what I'm really looking for I guess. Can anyone give me an idea of if/how much my system could be overclocked and how I should go about doing so? My system:

Abit IC7-G Motherboard
80Gb Maxtor SATA-150 HD

...I think that's all you should need to know...if not let me know and I'll find out the rest. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum sword44. it will be interesting to see how high your able to go with the 2.4C. Go ahead and check out the Intel Overclocking guide the The_General mentioned. I will go ahead a tell you that your DDR333 is really going to hurt your performance. it's time to upgrade to atleast DDR500.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, one question and this may sound really stupid...but I always see the screen that gives all the data on your processor so you can see what speed you're running at...how do you get to that? And one more thing, how do you monitor temps under load?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Oh, one question and this may sound really stupid...but I always see the screen that gives all the data on your processor so you can see what speed you're running at...how do you get to that? And one more thing, how do you monitor temps under load?
You can get CPU-Z for CPU, mobo, and RAm info. and get Motherboard monitor 5 for heat monitoring. then run any kind of stress testing Prime 95 to monitor load temps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
yea keep us informed, would like to see what intel's can do, what kind of cooling do you have in yer case? btw

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just one more quick question guys. I have an Axio X5 series case/PSU combo. I have read in a couple posts that there can be problems with standard PSU's and was wondering if anybody has had problems with the one included in the Axio X5 series cases?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You've got the right motherboard for the job. Abit motherboards have a solid reputation in the overclocking department, as long as you can keep it cool enough. Check your motherboard user manual for the settings you need to change to get started. I've heard of this overclocking stuff before, some admins can get it going, others fry a cpu and say it's not worth the risk.

You can usually tell who earns what and why when they cry about money. Personally, I earn squat to do my site. It's all experimental prototyping and spec development in a hostile and paranoia inducing environment. Perfect for studying. I don't overclock here because I don't earn enough to repair my mistakes along the way. I fried my first good samba server by trying to overclock an old IBM a few years ago, been 'abit' shy of it for a while if you don't mind the awful pun.

A buddy of mine did get an Abit overclocked once, I watched it boot up and play hip hop songs when he turned on his stereo with a remote. Iceberg(tm) rules the pentium loop like an evil sorcerer.

ByteCaptain

Quote:

Hey everyone,

Abit IC7-G Motherboard
80Gb Maxtor SATA-150 HD

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Just one more quick question guys. I have an Axio X5 series case/PSU combo. I have read in a couple posts that there can be problems with standard PSU's and was wondering if anybody has had problems with the one included in the Axio X5 series cases?

I just had the case and PSU that you have, the PSU is horrible because there is too much fluctuation on the rails.
As for the case, it has great ventillation and will work well for the cause.

So in brief, replace your PSU with a name brand 450+W and keep your case to load it with fans.

·
Registered
126 Posts
yea a good psu is key, try to find an antec True blue. they the ****!

• Rep+
Reactions: sword44
1 - 13 of 13 Posts