Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEWB OVERCLOCKER IN NEEP OF HELP AND SUGGESTIONS PLEASE HELPPPP .
I DONT SEE MANY AMD FX CLOCKS AND THREADS ON THESE FORUMS SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST ME A GOOD MULTIPLIER AND MAYBE SOME OTHER HINTS ON HOW I CAN GET MY RIG TO THE MAX OF MAXX POTENTIAL ..
thanx in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Read through the AMD guide in my sig. It should give you a good starting point.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Technically you can start overclocking right now. I'd wait though just to see how much more your temps drop over the next couple of days to get a better idea of how far you can go. Remember the computer has to be turned off every now and then for the curing process to complete.

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vicoorr

NEWB OVERCLOCKER IN NEEP OF HELP AND SUGGESTIONS PLEASE HELPPPP .
I DONT SEE MANY AMD FX CLOCKS AND THREADS ON THESE FORUMS SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SUGGEST ME A GOOD MULTIPLIER AND MAYBE SOME OTHER HINTS ON HOW I CAN GET MY RIG TO THE MAX OF MAXX POTENTIAL ..
thanx in advance.

Welcome and I like you already cause I alwayz have to turn off my caps to come here
!!!!
HOLLAH!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
459 Posts
ack i must be doing something wrong with the AS5 application. that or i need to flip my top fan and turn it into an exhaust. 51C after 8+ hours of dual Prime seems too high for stock settings.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by one43637

ack i must be doing something wrong with the AS5 application. that or i need to flip my top fan and turn it into an exhaust. 51C after 8+ hours of dual Prime seems too high for stock settings.

For stock settings, it's grossly high, especially with that cooler - mine is sitting at 39C load, and I'm at 2.5GHz with my Opteron 170 @ 1.4V. I can go to 2.7 and higher with more voltage, but I want to watercool before I go that far (so I don't have to push much more voltage, plus when spring comes, ambient temp will go up since this room has no A/C).

Put a 120mm intake on the side right over the cooler, ram and VRMs - works wonders to bring temps crashing down. Also, do as you said and flip that top fan to exhaust. Also, I see in your sig that you have listed 2.2GHz as your stock CPU speed - with the Opteron 165 you have listed, it should be 1.8GHz stock, 2.2GHz OC'd (if you have it at 2.2GHz right now). If you're over 50C stock, fix your cooling before you start overclocking it - it will save you a lot of pain and agony in the end. Also, for the AS5, follow the directions online - the rice bead is the best
. I also didn't see a vcore listed in your sig - where is it at right now? Also, try to get the batch codes and week number from the IHS on the proc. If you don't know what they are, it looks like this

CCBWE 0546XPMW

on the IHS. CCBWE is the stepping, 0546 means year 05, week 46, and XPMW is the batch code (this is from mine, an Opteron 170).

·
Registered
459 Posts
the dual 8+ hour prime came right after i finished building the system. i used AS5, but since it was my first time applying a thermal interface i think i messed that up. i tried doing the blot method with a baggie over my finger to try and grab the excess.

i'm not sure if it's because i haven't let the AS5 settle, since i ran prime the night of when i finished putting it together. i think i read something in the area of 200 hours for it to finally settle. after a couple days of turning it off and on for 8+ hours, i left it running overnight and it was sitting at 38C idle this morning.

i'm running at stock volts, and thanks for catchign my typo, i have a 175 at stock. i'll try to find some screens when i get home.

thanks for your input

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by one43637

That cooling system not very good for dual core's, Big typhoon is about the best out there, all my big rigs have them, and not one is over 43c. loaded folding 24/7.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts