Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short... I blew up my motherboard on my gateway fx7921. Three days ago I've purchased a new tower Antec 900, GA - EP45-UD3P MB, and cooler master 550w PSU. I wanted to O/c my Q9300 from 2.5ghz to 3.5 preferably. I've read several O/c guide which confuses the heck out of me. I'm more of a hands on person
. Anyways I was using Easy Tuner 6 as a pre-overclock settings before I make the changes in the bios. I tried O/C the q9300 7.5 x 467fsb = 3.5ghz and it freezes. Most likely I have to increase the voltage to make it become stable but I'm not ready for that yet...

I was able to get the q9300 to 3.0ghz-3.2ghz (7.5x400fsb - 7.5x 428fsb) and ran Prime95 for 15-30 min max ( I know I know). The temperature on core #2 increases to 65c which really scared me. The other cores increases from mid to high 50's.

Due to my recent purchase and the holidays I'm unable to fork out any more cash. I have some cheap PC2-5300 (333mhz) Hyundai rams and somewhat an aftermarket CPU heat sink (some cheap stuff).

Is it safe to overclock my CPU with cheap ram and an ooOoK heat sink? I've been monitoring the temperature and it doesn't increase that much except when I run prime 95. I overclock my CPU using Easy Tuner 6 so no changes are made in the bios yet.

Q9300 2.5gz ---> oc 3.0-3.2ghz
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Hyundai Elec. PC2-5300 (333MHZ)
Cooler Master 550W PSU

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost55
View Post

buy a decent cpu cooler first

The CPU temperature doesn't seem to increase much when oc'ed to 3.0ghz but I will definitely purchase a new CPU cooler, when I have the money.

What about the rams?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, when my old gateway MB blew up I transferred all the hardware onto the GA-EP45 MB. I bought the gateways fx7921 w/ intel quad q9300, 512mb 8800gt SC, 4gb of rams, and 500 SATA3 hd for $400 last year. I thought it was a great deal so I purchase it and that's the reason for having the cheap ram...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
If you can overclock your ram to 800mhz to run a 1:1 ratio with the fsb and the cpu at 3ghz then I would do it. If you cant, then I would try to get some better ram. Also I would buy used ram, because most ram has a lifetime warranty so if it dies you just send it in, and it will be cheaper used, since buying new ddr2 is expensive these days.

Also your temps are fine. Everyone who overclocks gets to the mid or high 60's low 70's unless they are on water. If your chip gets to the mid or high 70's then I would back down the clock speed or upgrade the cooler.

With some better ram 3.5ghz will be no problem. Have fun, and good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurosu View Post
If you can overclock your ram to 800mhz to run a 1:1 ratio with the fsb and the cpu at 3ghz then I would do it. If you cant, then I would try to get some better ram. Also I would buy used ram, because most ram has a lifetime warranty so if it dies you just send it in, and it will be cheaper used, since buying new ddr2 is expensive these days.

Also your temps are fine. Everyone who overclocks gets to the mid or high 60's low 70's unless they are on water. If your chip gets to the mid or high 70's then I would back down the clock speed or upgrade the cooler.

With some better ram 3.5ghz will be no problem. Have fun, and good luck!
I was really worried about the temperature increase but you've put me at ease now, thanks!.

Another thing I'm worried about is the temperature of my rams... like I said it's a cheap ram and it doesn't a heat sink attached to the chip. Is there a software I can use to measure the temp. or does it even matter?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts