Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new here and maybe someone can help me out with this thing. Let me give you some details.I have a Abit V17 mobo with a P4 HT Processor that operates at 2.6Ghz. Its a Northwood Core with 800 MHz FSB. I Have changed the stock heatsinks on both the Chipset and the processor. They are high performance... I didn't go cheap on cooling. My current untweaked temp's are 30 at Idle and 59 at full load using Prime 95 and HeavyLoad in Windows Xp. These temps are with all the fans at their lowest settings. Now to the question's. Is 30 a normal temp at Idle? When I go into the BIOS the
temp's read differently, 44 with all my fans on low. Celsius speaking of course. Is my processor under load when I'm in the BIOS? I have also tried to overclock my CPU to 2.8 by using the FSB bumping it to 216. That gave me a Chipset speed of 866 MHz. But it worked fine at idle, but when I ran Prime95 and HeavyLoad the Computer abruptly shut off. All my fans where at their highest setting when this happend. I only overclocked thru the FSB. Do you think its necessary to up the core voltage as well? If so where should I set it to? My current is 1.504. Anyone know where I can lock the AGP bus so
it dosent overclock. Is the CPU-AGP-PCI option? Its currently on auto.
Thanks In advance

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by smartguy87_2004

Hello,
I'm new here and maybe someone can help me out with this thing. Let me give you some details.I have a Abit V17 mobo with a P4 HT Processor that operates at 2.6Ghz. Its a Northwood Core with 800 MHz FSB. I Have changed the stock heatsinks on both the Chipset and the processor. They are high performance... I didn't go cheap on cooling. My current untweaked temp's are 30 at Idle and 59 at full load using Prime 95 and HeavyLoad in Windows Xp. These temps are with all the fans at their lowest settings. Now to the question's. Is 30 a normal temp at Idle? When I go into the BIOS the
temp's read differently, 44 with all my fans on low. Celsius speaking of course. Is my processor under load when I'm in the BIOS? I have also tried to overclock my CPU to 2.8 by using the FSB bumping it to 216. That gave me a Chipset speed of 866 MHz. But it worked fine at idle, but when I ran Prime95 and HeavyLoad the Computer abruptly shut off. All my fans where at their highest setting when this happend. I only overclocked thru the FSB. Do you think its necessary to up the core voltage as well? If so where should I set it to? My current is 1.504. Anyone know where I can lock the AGP bus so
Thanks In advance

you should block your agp/pci bus

·
Registered
996 Posts
Quote:

Hello,
Thanks In advance

]

first off the tempratures in bios are under some load thats why they read higher. 59c for a load temp seems a little high for a northwood thats proally why it shuts off when u OC. did you use AS5(thermal paste) when you added the new heatsink? If not I would definately suggest picking some up it drops temps signigicantly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leprachuan

]

first off the tempratures in bios are under some load thats why they read higher. 59c for a load temp seems a little high for a northwood thats proally why it shuts off when u OC. did you use AS5(thermal paste) when you added the new heatsink? If not I would definately suggest picking some up it drops temps signigicantly.

Thanks for clearing the BIOS temp's question for me... The reason why the temp's are at 59 under full load is because the fans are at the min... When they are all at the max the CPU stays under 50. I use ThermalTake Spark 7 Xaser Edition with Artic Silver Ceramique... I reaserched it and they seemed like a good combo to replace my stock heatsink and fan. Now the other question is: Do I need to bump my core clock up as well, or working from the FSB is enough for adding an extra 400 MHZ to the 2.6GHZ proccesor? My current core clock is 1.504.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for clearing the BIOS temp's question for me... The reason why the temp's are at 59 under full load is because the fans are at the min... When they are all at the max the CPU stays under 50. I use ThermalTake Spark 7 Xaser Edition with Artic Silver Ceramique... I reaserched it and they seemed like a good combo to replace my stock heatsink and fan. Now the other question is: Do I need to bump my core clock up as well, or working from the FSB is enough for adding an extra 400 MHZ to the 2.6GHZ proccesor? My current core clock is 1.504.

I say push it more, to where load temp is about 54 or 55C. remember to try to keep to a balanced ratio on your timings to maintain stability, so you will have to adjust both of the timings to keep the balance.

then tell us your clock speed.

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Here's my little giude on how i overclock to get the most out of my computer in the fastest, best and most enjoying way:

to start with, i would take the CPU:RAM Ratio (divider is what zokus said) down to x1.66 or near that. I would also lock the PCI/AGP bus at defualt (66Mhz/33Mhz). Then from PCI/AGP bus wil be locked and the RAM will be underclocked to 333Mhz. Now I would then start increasing the FSB by 10Mhz Increments for the first 20Mhz (unitl 220Mhz FSB) then i would start going up in 5Mhz Increments until you start to notice instabilty (such as: Freezing, reboots, bluescreens, not booting), then start decresing the FSB by 1Mhz increments until you become stable. Make sure by running CPU stress tests such as prime 95, games and the one that i find beats everything else, that is Adobe Premiere if you have it (Premiere Pro seems to do the best Job). Once you find stability then go an change the CPU:RAM ratio back up to defualt which is 1:1 or x2. if you are still stable after you put you CPU:RAM ratio back to defualt (x2), then you should then start adjusting your RAM timings which the lower the better. They're usually found in the Chipset or RAM area of your bios (make sure you know how to reset your CMOS on your motherboard becuase you'll probably have to unless your motherboard has a crash free reset system. I hope i've helped. I just told you exactly how i would get the most out of my system (in overclocking). Also, make sure hyperthreading and spread spectrum are enabled for better performance. Then find a program that suits you on guru3d.com to overclock your graphics card.

Please post your new results.

I hope i've helped!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

Here's my little giude on how i overclock to get the most out of my computer in the fastest, best and most enjoying way:

to start with, i would take the CPU:RAM Ratio (divider is what zokus said) down to x1.66 or near that. I would also lock the PCI/AGP bus at defualt (66Mhz/33Mhz). Then from PCI/AGP bus wil be locked and the RAM will be underclocked to 333Mhz. Now I would then start increasing the FSB by 10Mhz Increments for the first 20Mhz (unitl 220Mhz FSB) then i would start going up in 5Mhz Increments until you start to notice instabilty (such as: Freezing, reboots, bluescreens, not booting), then start decresing the FSB by 1Mhz increments until you become stable. Make sure by running CPU stress tests such as prime 95, games and the one that i find beats everything else, that is Adobe Premiere if you have it (Premiere Pro seems to do the best Job). Once you find stability then go an change the CPU:RAM ratio back up to defualt which is 1:1 or x2. if you are still stable after you put you CPU:RAM ratio back to defualt (x2), then you should then start adjusting your RAM timings which the lower the better. They're usually found in the Chipset or RAM area of your bios (make sure you know how to reset your CMOS on your motherboard becuase you'll probably have to unless your motherboard has a crash free reset system. I hope i've helped. I just told you exactly how i would get the most out of my system (in overclocking). Also, make sure hyperthreading and spread spectrum are enabled for better performance. Then find a program that suits you on guru3d.com to overclock your graphics card.

Please post your new results.

I hope i've helped!!!

Thanks for all your help... My system is stable at 210 FSB right now and runs at 2.7 ghz. I have pusthed it more to 211 and so on but it keeps rebooting... I even had to reflash the CMOS... When I booted the computer nothing happened no bios no nothing... Thank God I know where the cmos is. I have increased the voltage to the core as well but that still didnt help... My temps are working great, my speed 2.7 gets a 41.5 celcius on load with the fan at max speed... the case stays aroud 32. I will try to do what you told me right now... My graphics card (Radeon 9600 Pro) is already oc'd from default core 398.00 to 470.25 and my ram from 297.00 to 344.25, thanks to the ATI scilencer 2 and ATITool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more thing that I have noticed.. I have o'c my pc just now to 2.8 it ran stble for a few min of load on it and then decided to reboot. Do I have enough PSU power? I have A 450W PSU, Could it be that its not enough to power my system? Here are my specs. 4x80mm led fan's, 1x90mm fan, Heatsink and chipset fan, Fan Controler, Dvd burner, Cd burner, Floppy drive, 7 in 1 media disk reader, 120 Gb Hd 7200 rpm. I got this really cheap case for 24 $$ brand new with the 450W power supply... I think the power supply is cheap and can't handle what I have. The case was allso really light. Any thoughts on this? What about watter cooling? Is it worth it?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

One more thing that I have noticed.. I have o'c my pc just now to 2.8 it ran stble for a few min of load on it and then decided to reboot. Do I have enough PSU power? I have A 450W PSU, Could it be that its not enough to power my system? Here are my specs. 4x80mm led fan's, 1x90mm fan, Heatsink and chipset fan, Fan Controler, Dvd burner, Cd burner, Floppy drive, 7 in 1 media disk reader, 120 Gb Hd 7200 rpm. I got this really cheap case for 24 $$ brand new with the 450W power supply... I think the power supply is cheap and can't handle what I have. The case was allso really light. Any thoughts on this? What about watter cooling? Is it worth it?

I didn't run the numbers, but with a 420W and less than that I was overdoing it, so I say get another PSU.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts