Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
If by overclock you mean tighten the timings you would go in the chipset feature in your bios change something that says like "dram timings" from auto to manual and a buttload of features will pop up allowing you to change them.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i think i have my timings as low as they will go at 2-3-3-6 but i see all these people talking about memory ratio's, and frequencies and i havent messed with any of that.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hmm
,I havn't figured out how to change the ratio yet either but check cpu-z for me to see your ram speed.It's pretty obvious in the memory setting in cpu-z.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madr0x

ya i think i have my timings as low as they will go at 2-3-3-6 but i see all these people talking about memory ratio's, and frequencies and i havent messed with any of that.

sounds like some pretty tight timings. I'm just getting into the memory right now, so I don't know alot. but I do know that if you raise the FSB on the CPU it'll give you a higher speed. Right now I'm running [URL=]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231020[/URL] @ 228mhz / Cas 2.5 / 3-4-4-8 @ 2.77v ,and it seems to be pretty stable, ran memtest86 twice without any errors, and my games seem to be running smooth. Only problem is it runs a little warm. If you have good ventilation, just up your FSB a bit at a time, I usually do about 10mhz at a time until I hit an unstable area, but to do so, you'll have to up the voltage on your cpu also, and possibly your chipset and LDT. (I have a Lanparty UT SLI-DR Elite), don't know what they call it on yours. More than likely, you'll have to up your chipset a bit to keep it stable, I know I had to, but once I did that, it's been really smooth. Also, you'll have to up your RAM voltage too. I wouldn't go over 2.72 unless you have good cooling. My circulation is good and they still get warm, have to back the voltage off a little. Dunno if this helps ya or not. hope so though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Overclocking RAM and CPU are a package. You do it by raising the FSB. The dividers work like this: you take the number lets say 333. You divide it by 400 and multiply that byt the FSB If you OC the FSB to 240 it would be :
333 / 400 * 240 = 198.8 so pretty much stock. That would be good if you want to OC the CPU and if your memory isn't good enough to run 1:1.

Also it's bad to run the RAM on a divider that will make it run faster than the FSB (6:5 for example) because all those clocks are being wasted if it the mobo isn't taking advantage of them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by That_Guy

Overclocking RAM and CPU are a package. You do it by raising the FSB. The dividers work like this: you take the number lets say 333. You divide it by 400 and multiply that byt the FSB If you OC the FSB to 240 it would be :
333 / 400 * 240 = 198.8 so pretty much stock. That would be good if you want to OC the CPU and if your memory isn't good enough to run 1:1.

Also it's bad to run the RAM on a divider that will make it run faster than the FSB (6:5 for example) because all those clocks are being wasted if it the mobo isn't taking advantage of them.

thanks , like I said, I'm new to this also, but I do get the jist of the package deal like you said, didn't quite know about the divider thing, I'm sure that'll help both the poster and myself. what's with the # 333 though? (not to thread hijack or anything, but it's beneficial for all I believe, at least us noobs)

·
Registered
64 Posts
didn't want to hijack, but you can't accept PM's.

Where'd you get the number 333? Are you talking about the PC number (ie-PC400??)of the RAM or something else. I was just wondering where you got the info for the equation 333/400*240 at.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well in my BIOS the options for dividers are 266, 333, and 400 or something like that and since the mobos are rated to use DDR 400 RAM that's how you use them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts