Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new user here.
I just got a new PC, important parts are -
Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 (bios updated to F4)
Phenom II 965BE
Kingston HyperX DD3 4 GB (http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/K...D3T1K2_4GX.pdf)
Noctua NH-U9B HSF (2x92mm fans)
2x ATi 5770
Thermaltake Evo 650w PSU

Now, so far I have the CPU sitting on [email protected], and ram at 1406MHz.
It doesn't seem to exceed 55 degrees C under load. How much futher could I push it? This is the first newish CPU I have OC'd, so I am still learning all the settings.
CPU-Z screenshot -

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Unless you're under water or other cooling solutions and also for the fact that not all 965's hit 4Ghz very easily, I'd say you're good right where you're at.

If you're worried about temperatures, read this to settle any questions.

You can keep going to 1.55v but I don't know if you'll see any gains or benefit since you're already hitting 55c. Max temps for your chip is 62c; but heat walls happen at 55c (chip depending).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I will settle with 4GHz for the time being. Another question, RAM this time.
Can I increase the RAM speed without affecting CPU speed? I mean, it's rated to run at 2000MHZ, and here it is sitting at a lowly 1406, and I know my mobo supports up to 1866.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
You should try to set it to it's rated speed, but 2000 may not be viable. I would suggest you set it to 1866 or 1600 with tightened timings.

This could affect the stability of your OC though, be aware of that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But how do I go about doing so? I tried with the DRAM ratio thing, changing it from 6.66 to 8 (with CPU at stock) and windows refused to boot. (I did increase the voltage as well, but that didnt help

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
You might be stuck @ 1600 or less in RAM speed for 4Ghz. Contagion has a guide around this forum somewhere, search for 2000 RAM AMD to see how he got his to work.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
For RAM @ 2000 you need to change your FSB to 250.
So, you will need 250 x 16(FSB x Multi) for 4GHz
Will be hard to hit , but who knows

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaitan667
View Post

Ok, so I will settle with 4GHz for the time being. Another question, RAM this time.
Can I increase the RAM speed without affecting CPU speed? I mean, it's rated to run at 2000MHZ, and here it is sitting at a lowly 1406, and I know my mobo supports up to 1866.

Push it to the next level, that should be around 1620MHz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't push it up to the next level. If I change it from 6.66 to 8, windows won't boot. And it seems the 4009MHz is my top limit, otherwise Prime95 crashes.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I can't push it up to the next level. If I change it from 6.66 to 8, windows won't boot. And it seems the 4009MHz is my top limit, otherwise Prime95 crashes.

Show us a pic with CPU-Z--- Memory tab and SPD tab

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
You have to push your CPU/NB freq to 25xx MHz.(at least)
What is your RAM voltage set at?
x8 will give you 1688MHz (not 1620MHz, my mistake)
Can you post a pic with your BIOS settings?

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonarian View Post
Don't mean to hi-jack your thread but since you guys are talking memory and I know nothing of it, is this ok?
Depends on your mem. You can try tighten timings

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also another quick question. I was just running a PRIME95 test (blend). It had been running for 40 mins without BSOD and then I went to open FFXIV (a high CPU usage game) and got BSOD.

When running PRIME95 are you not meant to do anything?

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonarian
View Post

Also another quick question. I was just running a PRIME95 test (blend). It had been running for 40 mins without BSOD and then I went to open FFXIV (a high CPU usage game) and got BSOD.

When running PRIME95 are you not meant to do anything?

You can surf web, listen music, but games...

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Quote:

View Post

You're going to have a hard time getting your RAM to run at 2000 no matter what you do. As suggested you can but don't have to push your CPU/NB frequency. In fact, sometimes pushing it too high means an unstable overall CPU overclock. You could counter that instability with more CPU/NB voltage, but even then sometimes the chip just can't handle it.

You don't need to change your FSB to run @ 250 for the RAM to be 2000. You just need to use the 10x multi for your RAM speed. To get that stable, you'll probably have to use 9-11-9-27-45 (as seen in your XMP 1000Mhz profile), but even then, that may be too tight.

Remember, AMD still hasn't 'officially' supported DDR3 1600 speeds and greater even up to the Thuban chips. That doesn't mean faster RAM won't work, it just means you'll have a harder time getting it stable.

I would aim for speeds of 1600 w/ CL7 timing (or better if you can manage it).

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK
View Post

You're going to have a hard time getting your RAM to run at 2000 no matter what you do. As suggested you can but don't have to push your CPU/NB frequency. In fact, sometimes pushing it too high means an unstable overall CPU overclock. You could counter that instability with more CPU/NB voltage, but even then sometimes the chip just can't handle it.

You don't need to change your FSB to run @ 250 for the RAM to be 2000. You just need to use the 10x multi for your RAM speed. To get that stable, you'll probably have to use 9-11-9-27-45 (as seen in your XMP 1000Mhz profile), but even then, that may be too tight.

Remember, AMD still hasn't 'officially' supported DDR3 1600 speeds and greater even up to the Thuban chips. That doesn't mean faster RAM won't work, it just means you'll have a harder time getting it stable.

I would aim for speeds of 1600 w/ CL7 timing (or better if you can manage it).

Max. RAM multi is x8 (mobo's manual), so he will need 250 FSB for RAM @ 2000(hard to hit, impossible... maybe)
For RAM @ 2000, CPU/NB should be 3000 at least

He can try 1688 for RAM @ 1.65V ---> CPU/NB @ 2500+

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Somehow I missed that part. Only 8x multi ...

Definitely try upping the FSB (HTT) then to 250 and these settings:

CPU 16x Multi = 4Ghz
CPU/NB - 12x Multi or 10x if 3000 isn't stable
HT Link - 8x Multi

DRAM @ 8x 1.65v try 9-11-9 or even 10-11-10 to get it stable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts