Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I've got a P4 2.8ghz and wondered what realistic gains are possible? Been to overclockers.com to check and it's unavailable at the moment.

Don't know which p4 cpu i've got but i think memory is 333 speed (if that's right)

Planning to get better cpu cooler, nothing flash like water cooling since it's expensive here in the UK. Possible a copper core and larger fan.

Which leads me to the next question - can i use a large case fan on or near the cpu? Or will the magnetic field interfer?

Any help please, I'm totally new as in only heard about overclocker yesterday when looking for a quieter cpu fan.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judgie

Hi all.

I've got a P4 2.8ghz and wondered what realistic gains are possible? Been to overclockers.com to check and it's unavailable at the moment.

Don't know which p4 cpu i've got but i think memory is 333 speed (if that's right)

Planning to get better cpu cooler, nothing flash like water cooling since it's expensive here in the UK. Possible a copper core and larger fan.

Which leads me to the next question - can i use a large case fan on or near the cpu? Or will the magnetic field interfer?

Any help please, I'm totally new as in only heard about overclocker yesterday when looking for a quieter cpu fan.

I always like to say 600-700Mhz is an average OC on Good air cooling. There is always a chance to get higher, this all depends on your hardware. Download CPU-Z ---> http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and it will tell you everything you want to know about your CPU.

As for using the case fan for CPU cooling, yes you can along wth the correct heatsink. There are a lot of heat sink that use 120mm and 90mm case fans. For a good quiet fan and heatsink combo, I like the Zalman 7000 series heatsinks. ---> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...118-109&depa=0 It does a good job and is very quiet

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the advice Archer_456.

Just another stupid question from a newbie. I've read the overclocking advice/tutorial and that sugest uping the clock by 3 - 5 mhz at a time but if it's possible to get a good few hundred out of a stock chip, why so slowly at first? surely 50mhz increase first then 25mhz and so would give miles quicker result?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts