Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all!
Reading so many threads here -- you guys are rockstars.

I'm doing an i7 950 build with a Gigabyte x58-UD3R (before anyone tells me to downgrade to the 930, the price of the 950 just dropped by almost 50%! and a 950 is within $20 of the 930 now...)

As a newbie to OC, I understand many of the concepts, and know others who have taken their 930 to 3.5ghz without any issues, so I am setting my initial target to 3.5ghz (I know, that's tame to many of you, but my goal is a moderate speed bump without sacrificing LOW NOISE performance, as I will be using this box in a recording studio.)

My ram needs are insane and expensive. I need 12gb now with an eye on taking it to 24 as soon as my needs or cash allows (which ever comes first). Yes i really need 12/24 for sound library hosting. I have libraries such as VSL which can easily use 3-5gb of ram per instrument family. I am currently running 2 servers of 3gb each, and both are at capacity. I will be replacing both with this new build.

SO -- I have a couple of newbie questions that I am not clear about:

1. Ram speed. Since my plan is to OC the i7 950 to 3.5, is ram speed critical here? I know someone who OC'd a 930 to 3.5, and he has DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666). IS THERE a reason why I should invest in faster ram for the 950 (oc'd to 3.5) ? Do I NEED DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) or even faster?

2. What happens if I buy ram based on an optimal OC speed, but then elect to go back to the i7 default - will the faster ram still be ok?

3. If I choose to "only" install 12gb now (3x 4gb) to conserve cash, then add 12GB more later on, any considerations?

4. is cas latency mission critical? -- do you really only get what you pay for?

5. Any suggestions as to brand and part # of 3x 4gb kit that has good bang for the buck, and a speed that is appropriate for the i7 950 @# 3,5ghz ?

6. What's the reason that OCing with 6 ram slots filled is trickier than with only 3?

THANKS for reading this and any help you can toss my way. I hope to share with others soon.

Thanks.

J

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
1: 1333mhz will get you a 3.5ghz overclock easy, 1600mhz for 4ghz, 1800hmz for 4.5ghz, and 2000mhz for 4.6+ghz.

2: the board will just default back to the stock speed supported by the X58 chipset (1066mhz)

3: that will be fine, just make sure the board supports 24GB ram in bios, as alot of boards only support 16GB

4: dont get DDR3 with a latancy higher than 9-9-9-24-74

5: any G.Skill, Corsair, OCZ ram is good.

6: this is because the voltage needed from the CPU VTT is higher to support the 3 extra sticks (more heat)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for helping out a newbie. The more I read the more confidence I have to dig deeper. Thanks to everyone for sharing their expertise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts