Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have been itching about the idea of LN2 overclocking, -196C just seems to be too attractive.
During last weekend I decide to do something. So I made a simple LN2 pot. I read a lot of threads on Ln2 pot and made the design. It is aluminum, worse than copper I know but it's easy to cut. I hope it is good enough to have some LN2 fun
biggrin.gif
. The base dimensions are 2''x2'' and I drilled 49 1/8'' diameter, 0.7'' deep holes so the surface area is massive and it will be a fast response pot.

It is a two parts design and there is a slight gap (as you can see in the second image) between them so it leaks LN2.
I know the best way is to braze it but I don't have the tool. I put some Vaseline to fill the gap, it seals up the gap so when it holds water it doesn't leak. Not sure how the Vaseline works with Ln2. Any suggestions?

Here are some images:

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Did your tests show the LN2 leaking much? I'd think the Ladenfrost effect would pretty much prevent this.

With some good insulation, I think you'll be fine--especially since you taped the edges first. I'd recommend something a bit more robust than electrical tape, though... that stuff shatters when it's frozen.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx View Post

Did your tests show the LN2 leaking much? I'd think the Ladenfrost effect would pretty much prevent this.

With some good insulation, I think you'll be fine--especially since you taped the edges first. I'd recommend something a bit more robust than electrical tape, though... that stuff shatters when it's frozen.
The gap is very small but I saw LN2 dripping down so I think it leaks badly. The electric tape cannot stop the leaking even when holding water.
With LN2 I though it would be sealed with frost (from mosture) but the weather was very dry and not much frost was built up.
I am not sure how Leidenfrost effect acts in the gap, since Ln2 violently vaporizes it may blow the Vaseline out....

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Any chance you can create some sort of rubber gasket?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrena View Post

The gap is very small but I saw LN2 dripping down so I think it leaks badly. The electric tape cannot stop the leaking even when holding water.
With LN2 I though it would be sealed with frost (from mosture) but the weather was very dry and not much frost was built up.
I am not sure how Leidenfrost effect acts in the gap, since Ln2 violently vaporizes it may blow the Vaseline out....
Don't use vaseline, that's gross
tongue.gif
. I've used blue painters tape to prevent acetone leaks before. Wrap the whole pot (minus the bottom) in tape, then apply armaflex over the tape. Shouldn't leak at all then
thumb.gif

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_nuke_em View Post

Don't use vaseline, that's gross
tongue.gif
. I've used blue painters tape to prevent acetone leaks before. Wrap the whole pot (minus the bottom) in tape, then apply armaflex over the tape. Shouldn't leak at all then
thumb.gif
Thanks. Yeah, I have some blue painter tape and heavy duty duct tape. I will try both until it doesn't leak ...
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
What CPU are you going to be using this with?

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
As long as you keep BCLK above ~105 or so, you shouldn't run into any issues. I usually keep it in the 107-108 range until I find the max multi and then I fine tune from there.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
ninja.gif

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
There have been some reports of board/cpu cold bugs. But for the most part, the only thing you need to worry about it making sure bclk is above 106 when you go below -140 or -130C.

·
a turkey is a bad man
6,432 Posts
looks like a nice pot! I don't think it would hold load temps to well though. Really needs a heavy copper base for that.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtW 420 View Post

Some have cold boot bugs,increasing the bclk usually extends it. 105bclk or so should help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx View Post

As long as you keep BCLK above ~105 or so, you shouldn't run into any issues. I usually keep it in the 107-108 range until I find the max multi and then I fine tune from there.
Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip:thumb:
How much Ln2 do you guys usually use, say, per hour?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo2 View Post

looks like a nice pot! I don't think it would hold load temps to well though. Really needs a heavy copper base for that.
Yeah I realize it now, next time I will get a beefy copper base.
I was too lazy to cut copper. It's much more gummy than aluminum.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
30L lasts me about 6 or so hours when doing CPU only.

·
Registered
510 Posts
they sell welding rods for brazing aluminum with a propane or a map gas torch commonly found at local hardware stores. its pretty neat stuff. puts a braze joint on it looks just like a weld but you do it like solder. pretty crazy. you dont need his torch set. they will work with map gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ42scaWFnw

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi0lence View Post

they sell welding rods for brazing aluminum with a propane or a map gas torch commonly found at local hardware stores. its pretty neat stuff. puts a braze joint on it looks just like a weld but you do it like solder. pretty crazy. you dont need his torch set. they will work with map gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ42scaWFnw
Thanks for the suggestions. Welding with aluminum paste seems a good way to seal the gap. I didn't know it was easy to get the torch and weld.
thumb.gif

I just located a mechanical problem that prevent the two parts to contact closely. I took a file and removed some edges and now it leaks very little with water. I believe with a little Vaseline and the mounting bracket holding it down it should not leak
smile.gif
Wait for my test report...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts