Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to all of this and i was following the overclocking guide - which seemed to be working ,,,but now i am getting a windows error saying my windows config/sys file needs to be repaired and I need to repair from CD - but the CD doesn't boot into windows - I don't know what to do now - I have already reset my BIOS to default settings - how do I get windows to load now??

Is it worth it to try to overclock this PC in the first place??
...help

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
Hmm...Yes its worth oc'in the processor..So when you put the windows cd nothnig happens? or the repair function doesnt work?
You will prolly have to format and re-install i think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I boot with the windows cd in I get the error message for the windows/config/sys file - and it says to press "r" to repair at the first screen - but when I hit a key it just reboots and comes to the same screen - I can still get into my BIOS - it's just that windows doesn't start - Is there something that I'm missing here?

Thanks for your help by the way - I'll rep you - although I'm still learning how and what that means ...

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
hehe .. yes I have had this EXACT problem

the solution is to overclock it less... your pushing your memory too far or not enough power.

now is your pci/agp locked?

if it isnt this might be the problem

or a ide cable may not be fully connected

I cant remember which solution worked for me but those are the ones I have done.. except teh pci/agp because my mobo doesn support it

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
Well personally the repair..i dont really think it works...lol never does for me..or the restore point. I think you need to format. If you can access any of those files theyre useless to you anyhow i guess. so why not re-install? Any one tell him if theres something else. that all i can think of.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Inquisitor

hehe .. yes I have had this EXACT problem

the solution is to overclock it less... your pushing your memory too far or not enough power.

now is your pci/agp locked?

if it isnt this might be the problem

or a ide cable may not be fully connected

I cant remember which solution worked for me but those are the ones I have done.. except teh pci/agp because my mobo doesn support it

He said he reset everything i tihnk. And it wouldnt detect the hdd at all id the ide was bad i dont think

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how can I reinstall windows if it doesn't boot automatically from CD?
Also - this error occured only after I changed my memory timings - is it related to that? I'm not sure if my agp/pci is locked - but I don't believe I changed any of those settings - thanks again for the helps...

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
Well ya know after thinknig about it you might have a bad cd.. Ar there a lotta scratches on it? Cuz i just formatted and installed pro last week. I had never done it b4 and i put the disk in and options came up.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Change the boot sequence to CD-ROM "First" in the BIOS and save, if you want to boot from it!

• Rep+
Reactions: hansolo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

Change the boot sequence to CD-ROM "First" in the BIOS and save, if you want to boot from it!

Thanks The Duke - that was the problem ... although I had already figured that out before I saw you post - you were right on ...I will try & give you a rep...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts