1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If I didn't already have one ASUS 120hz, and wanted matching monitors, I would have jumped on this... well, jumped on 3 of this ^^

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWaves View Post

is this good 120HZ monitor for gaming? I am thinking to grab one it will be my first 120hz monitor..
Check out the Newegg ratings there are some bad reviews but the majority says its pretty good. I've had mines without any problems and I've had it for at least one year (edit: I am still using it right now and have no problems)

Pretty impressed, gaming on 120Hz is really neat and you will notice the differences immediately. I don't use 3D Vision though, I feel no need for it and don't want to pay for glasses just to use it for a couple of days.

Here's a unboxing video for anyone debating whether to get it or not,

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephiK View Post

Check out the Newegg ratings there are some bad reviews but the majority says its pretty good. I've had mines without any problems and I've had it for at least one year.
Pretty impressed, gaming on 120Hz is really neat and you will notice the differences immediately. I don't use 3D Vision though, I feel no need for it and don't want to pay for glasses just to use it for a couple of days.
Here's a unboxing video for anyone debating whether to get it or not,
thanks man I have been reading reviews about it too!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWaves View Post

is this good 120HZ monitor for gaming? I am thinking to grab one it will be my first 120hz monitor..
No, it has a noticeable input lag. It also has overdrive artifacts.

I would take a decent 60hz lcd over this display any day. It also ghosts a lot in 3d. I'll go as far as to say that this is the worst display that I've ever used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by un1b4ll View Post

120hz is incredibly legit.
Source: I'm an S27A750D owner.
That is a good 120hz monitor. The GD235hz isn't. Its the first 1080 120hz display on the market and it shows. There are far better options.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post

No, it has a noticeable input lag. It also has overdrive artifacts.
I would take a decent 60hz lcd over this display any day. It also ghosts a lot in 3d. I'll go as far as to say that this is the worst display that I've ever used.
That is a good 120hz monitor. The GD235hz isn't. Its the first 1080 120hz display on the market and it shows. There are far better options.
I use the monitor and don't see any overdrive artifacts whatsoever and so does other reviewers of the monitor on Newegg.
Some complain about it, but I don't see it... not saying that anyone buying this won't see it either but its probably a bad batch of the monitor or whatever the case is.

Newegg's return is relatively good so if you have a problem u can replace it or return it or whatever the case is. $199.99 for a 120Hz monitor is a no brainer.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Quote:

I use the monitor and don't see any overdrive artifacts whatsoever and so does other reviewers of the monitor on Newegg.
Some complain about it, but I don't see it... not saying that anyone buying this won't see it either but its probably a bad batch of the monitor or whatever the case is.
Newegg's return is relatively good so if you have a problem u can replace it or return it or whatever the case is.
There is an article about the overdrive artifacts on 3d vision blog. They are there.
Quote:
$199.99 for a 120Hz monitor is a no brainer.
Not when you can get a better 60hz monitor for less. This is literally the only 120hz monitor with input lag and it is noticeable. My cheap I-inc 28" had better image quality and response time.

The 235hz and 245hq are literally the same display.
acergd245hqoverdrive1.jpg

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Quote:

There is an article about the overdrive artifacts on 3d vision blog. They are there.
Not when you can get a better 60hz monitor for less. This is literally the only 120hz monitor with input lag and it is noticeable. My cheap I-inc 28" had better image quality and response time.
The 235hz and 245hq are literally the same display.
acergd245hqoverdrive1.jpg
Not sure what you have against this monitor. I have two and they work great, no issues.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

I have one of these panels too. Looking at that pic, I'm not sure what I'm looking at or really see a difference?
Look at how fuzzy the text looks with overdrive on. Its really easy to see on Hardforum. The yellow text on the black background looks almost like it has a halo around it. You'll see it with the black on white too. Between that and the input lag I found this monitor to be unacceptable. Contrast is pretty bad too.

In 3d vision this display ghosts a lot and is very dark compared to something like that Planar SA2311w which is a 3d vision 1 display.

Here is the run down on how I felt with this display.

1) Due to the input lag it doesn't feel any more responsive than a good 60hz display.
2) Due to the overdrive artifacts it doesn't look any more crisp in motion than a good 60hz display.
3) Its not even a good 3d vision display.
4) The contrast is pretty bad. Dark scenes in any game will look pretty bad.

The only redeeming aspect of this display is that its a cheap way to try 3d vision. I still think that all of the other drawbacks make it unacceptable for long term use for me. I've had some monitors with quirks but I have never gotten rid of a display so quickly. I found the overall image quality on my old I-inc 28" to be better and that is saying something. I also found it to be more responsive.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Look at how fuzzy the text looks with overdrive on. Its really easy to see on Hardforum. The yellow text on the black background looks almost like it has a halo around it. You'll see it with the black on white too. Between that and the input lag I found this monitor to be unacceptable. Contrast is pretty bad too.
In 3d vision this display ghosts a lot and is very dark compared to something like that Planar SA2311w which is a 3d vision 1 display.
Here is the run down on how I felt with this display.
1) Due to the input lag it doesn't feel any more responsive than a good 60hz display.
2) Due to the overdrive artifacts it doesn't look any more crisp in motion than a good 60hz display.
3) Its not even a good 3d vision display.
4) The contrast is pretty bad. Dark scenes in any game will look pretty bad.
The only redeeming aspect of this display is that its a cheap way to try 3d vision. I still think that all of the other drawbacks make it unacceptable for long term use for me. I've had some monitors with quirks but I have never gotten rid of a display so quickly. I found the overall image quality on my old I-inc 28" to be better and that is saying something. I also found it to be more responsive.
Just because you had a bad experience with the monitor when the chances of it being defective are pretty high from what you're saying doesn't mean you should bash the monitor when OTHER people have purchased it (including myself) and have had a great experience with the monitor..

1) I don't have any input lag.
2) No artifacts on my screen what so ever
3) I don't care about 3D vision, I bought the monitor for 120Hz.
4) Dark scenes look perfectly fine for me.. I play horror games (as well as FPS such as CS:GO, BF3 (used to on this monitor), COD, SC2, D3, BL2, etc) and watch horror movies that take place in the dark and have had noticed NO problems with contrast. If picture quality is something that is important to you, you should get yourself a IPS monitor and not a TN monitor.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Just because you don't notice the input lag doesn't mean that it isn't there. It is, its a fact that this monitor has the most input lag of any 120hz monitor on the market.

The overdrive artifacts are another known issue that happens on every display. Again, just because you don't notice it doesn't mean that it isn't there. Those two issues annoyed the crap out of me.

I'm just warning potential buyers of the known issues that they can research more on their own.
Quote:
If picture quality is something that is important to you, you should get yourself a IPS monitor and not a TN monitor.
That is what I have now but there are some very good TN panels that will blow this pos out of the water. For example the Planar SA2311w was significantly better than this display in every aspect.

All that I'm saying is don't make a snap judgment on this display just because its 120hz. Do a little research before you decide.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
880 Posts
Quote:

Newegg's return is relatively good so if you have a problem u can replace it or return it or whatever the case is. $199.99 for a 120Hz monitor is a no brainer.
There's a reason it's $200.

I wouldn't rush into such an under-developed 120hz Monitor.

There's tons of issues with the 120hz and response time including something like Blurry Text.

Edit: Also no glasses/3-D kit for a monitor so old...$200 so it's more like $260-$300. Go for the Samsung (forget which model) 3-D for $280-$300. Far better in every aspect and comes with glasses.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have this monitor, huge jump to 120Hz (Almost impossible to go back to 60Hz after you get a taste of it) and I would assume those pictures posted are from a bad batch. The picture quality is what you would expect from a TN display after tweaking colors, contrast, and brightness, etc. Sadly I cannot recommend it because Acer Customer Service is the worse of all companies I've ever had to deal with.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I owned this monitor and returned it for picture quality reasons. The orange didn't help.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.