1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
468 Posts
First the Vertex 2 and now this. Does this mean the prices are finally dropping?! Hopefully it will be <$1/GB this time next year.

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Link shows it as $279.99 no rebate listed.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm definitely buying this... waited long enough for a good price. It really won't get any better than this for a long time (guessing).

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by arctia View Post
First the Vertex 2 and now this. Does this mean the prices are finally dropping?! Hopefully it will be <$1/GB this time next year.
Think more this time next 2 months.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Link shows it as $279.99 no rebate listed.
I forgot not everyone is familiar with Newegg's shellshockers

yes, 3pm central time this will be on sale.

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
Well this is indeed very tempting, I have been waiting for a 120GB Sand Force drive to go this low WITHOUT a rebate to deal with.

Anyone know how their firmware is for these drives? I heard something about OCZ having the top end cause of their firmware or something.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well if you look at the Egg Rating on the G.Skill versus the OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD look at this:

G.Skill 120GB SSD:

5 Egg 81% (25)
4 Egg 13% (4)
3 Egg 3% (1)
2 Egg 0% (0)
1 Egg 3% (1)

OCZ 120GB SSD:

5 Egg 61% (14)
4 Egg 4% (1)
3 Egg 0% (0)
2 Egg 9% (2)
1 Egg 26% (6)

So basically the G.Skill has much better reviews and ratings than OCZ. The G.Skill reviews say that it's plug and play, recognizes as soon as u plug it in, installl Windows 7, no issues.

However look at the high percentage of 1 eggs 26% complain only 1 egg about the OCZ, DOA's, very quick failures, and problems making it even boot or recognize.

The same problems exist with OCZ's DDR3, they have HORRIBLE reviews if you look at how many 1 eggs they have with their DDR3. Whereas G.Skill DDR3 has awesome reviews.

So in my opinion even though OCZ sells more SSD's, it's just b/c of their marketing. In my opinoin from these reviews G.Skill is superior in reliability and quality.

So the best choice is G.Skill from what I've seen from actual customer's satisfaction, ease of use, reliability, etc.

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
I prefer to consider professional reviews over customer reviews, too many idiots rating things wrong, just because a bunch of newbs rate something with 1 egg because they don't know how to set up their hardware properly, doesn't mean it is really the drives fault. I am not looking for newb proof hardware, I'm looking for the best performing.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I prefer to consider professional reviews over customer reviews, too many idiots rating things wrong, just because a bunch of newbs rate something with 1 egg because they don't know how to set up their hardware properly, doesn't mean it is really the drives fault. I am not looking for newb proof hardware, I'm looking for the best performing.
Agreed....especially NewEgg customer reviews.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by elderfoster View Post
Well if you look at the Egg Rating

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
I enjoyed my time with a 60GB Callisto, the new Sandforce drives are NICE. It's a solid deal... I'm holding off though

Also note: I do not consider Newegg reviews to be a credible source

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ve-review.html

Interesting read, it seems that G.skill has found a way to break the firmware limitation, so coming close if not past vertex 2 in some areas. The review is on the 100GB version though, but I wouldn't think their would be a big difference.

Being this one will be $55 cheaper than Vertex 2(not including OCZ rebate) later today makes this a tempting choice. I just don't know if I will decide to wait for Vertex 2 to come this cheap or not.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inglewood78 View Post
Agreed....especially NewEgg customer reviews.

I sometimes laugh at video card reviews. You see 1 eggs and their complaints was like "FAIL, OVERHEATED AND BURNT OUT ON ME, CANNOT OVERCLOCK OVERVOLT/ETC."

I just ignore those thinking "ummn, you're not using it on MFR spec uses."

·
Registered
392 Posts
the phoenix pro is one of the best sandforce 1200 drives, as far as i understand. i would jump on this, but i'd like to wait a little longer before i get an SSD.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Quote:

Ordered mine...should I order a second to setup Raid 0?
yes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:

Ordered mine...should I order a second to setup Raid 0?
if you don't care about TRIM, then hell yes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts