Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Keep fighting those bastards.

Votes: 19 20.7%
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a crappy 950watt power supply from newegg a while ago that turned out to be vastly over rated and it took me a long time to figure that out. Now I am stuck with this crappy power supply and I have to buy a new one. I bought the power supply almost a year ago so its well past the return period. I contacted newegg though the live chat and explained the situation to them. I asked if I could have a discount on the power supply that I have to buy to replace the crappy one I have now and they agreed! They are going to get me a $25 discount. I purchased the item almost a year ago.

Update: After haggleing with newegg some more and pointing out to them that the specs listed on the Athena Power website are different that the ones listed on newegg for this model, they have offered me a $50 dollar discount on the next PSU that I purchase. I still dont know if I should be satisfied with this. I feel that the misinformation on neweggs listing is justification for me to receive more than just $50 dollars off. The PSU was $130 when I bought it. I feel this is false advertising. I dont know if I should be mad at Newegg for listing the PSU as more powerful that it really is or Athena Power for making such an over rated PSU in the fisrt place. Newgg has great customer service however.

This is neweggs listing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817338035

Athena Powers listing: http://www.athenapower.us/products/p...4atx95fepc.htm

What do you guys think? should I just let it go and use the $50 or should I persue further action?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
What PSU do you have exactly?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

950W Maximum Power

LOL.... Looking at the actual label, they purposely obfuscate the +12v power.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Note the model # starts with "P4ATX" which leads me to believe this was a ca. 2002-2004 400-550W ATX12V 1.3 PSU. Also it has a fake UL number.

• Rep+
Reactions: DuckieHo

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I didnt know much about PSU;s when I bought that one. I figured the wattage was so high it would be enough.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

Note the model # starts with "P4ATX" which leads me to believe this was a ca. 2002-2004 400-550W ATX12V 1.3 PSU. Also it has a fake UL number.

Is that legal?

If it fails and starts a fire, could you sue Athena for misrepresentation of certification?

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
w4f

from newegg

from their site

the label

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should I persue further action from newegg or Athena power? I was happy to get a $25 discount but now I feel like maybe thats not enough considering the "fake UL number" and complete misrepresentation of facts. What else might I do, if anything?

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: loser7

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
How did you get the discount, exactly? You said "My psu from you guys is really bad, can I have a discount for a new one?" or was it more like "The psu you guys sold me was outrageously overpriced, and I want compensation" because I bought a cruddy rosewell psu from them awhile back, and I've been looking to upgrade...

·
Banned
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the discount by explaining to them that the PSU is vastly over rated and that if it had been able to put out even 60% of the amperage it lists on the sticker then it probably would have worked. I have been a long time customer with newegg and I have purchased thousands of dollars worth of goods from them so a $25 discount is a small price for them to pay to keep a customer like me happy.

·
Aren't this fancy!
7,220 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
The label claims it has a -5V rail, which further substantiates my suspicion that this is a Pentium 4 era PSU. Spring 2003 or before, to be precise, since the -5V rail was made optional by ATX12V 1.2 in 2002, and removed from the specification completely by ATX12V 1.3 in March, 2003.

Betcha if you opened it up we'd see a 500W unit with a half bridge topology and group regulation with a bunch of cheap mainland China caps, and with a higher rated +5V schottky than +12V.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Now that's more like it.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts