Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelmartinez View Post

stop waiting, ssd is such a huge improvement it is worth every single penny
It really is. I have Windows on a regular 7200 rpm drive and my main install on my SSD, and I just recently went into the Windows on my HDD for the first time since the SSD install, and holy COW is it slow to load and open programs on first startup compared to my SSD. I now love my SSD even more.
smile.gif

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloaded83 View Post

It really is. I have Windows on a regular 7200 rpm drive and my main install on my SSD, and I just recently went into the Windows on my HDD for the first time since the SSD install, and holy COW is it slow to load and open programs on first startup compared to my SSD. I now love my SSD even more.
smile.gif
Do you think even a 32gb ssd would be worth it for the os and a few games?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If you do the little "tips and tricks" posted in the SSD forum, you might be able to squeeze a smaller game on there.

For me, I don't mess with the Windows settings, and have 7 Ultimate and BF3 on my 64GB SSD with about 23GB free. BF3 is a pig as far as space goes though. Personally, I think 32GB would be a bit small, mainly depending on what games you want to put on there though I guess, and if you're going to mess with the Windows settings to make it a smaller install.

SSD is a huge difference over HDD though.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloaded83 View Post

If you do the little "tips and tricks" posted in the SSD forum, you might be able to squeeze a smaller game on there.
For me, I don't mess with the Windows settings, and have 7 Ultimate and BF3 on my 64GB SSD with about 23GB free. BF3 is a pig as far as space goes though. Personally, I think 32GB would be a bit small, mainly depending on what games you want to put on there though I guess, and if you're going to mess with the Windows settings to make it a smaller install.
SSD is a huge difference over HDD though.
I only have windows 7 home premium and I mainly play LoL which is like 4 gb

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It's probably worth it then. Load times for games (online anyway) aren't a big deal IMO, and are helped by an SSD, but the main plus side I see to the SSD is the fast Windows start time and how quickly you can open programs from the drive right after Windows has started. For what I use my SSD for, 64 has been plenty and probably will be. So you should be able to get away with 32. Just remember that it seems that SSDs perform faster when they aren't completely full.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I swear one day im going to make a song that will express how much I would like to live in America
rolleyes.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts