Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets discuss how to find and buy Newegg open box GPU's!

At this point I will focus on the higher end cards, 6850/GTX460 and above. If you can give me an accurate price it will help us to focus on the deals.

Question: What is a Newegg "open box GPU?"

Answer: It is a previously returned or purchased item. The item may also be a refurbished item. Link http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQSearch.aspx

Question: Do I get warranty with an open box?

Answer: Depends on the card.

ASUS: This is up for debate, some will some may not. Some are refurbished with 90 days.

MSI: Yes, 3 year serial based warranty

EVGA: ? If it was registered no.

Question: How do I beat others to the deals, they go so fast?

Answer: You "need" the direct link to the card and an auto page refresher.

Question: How do I find the direct link?

Answer: See my spreadsheets with the links. Also, you can look at any new card link and add an "R" to the end of the web address and this will be the open box link!!!

Question: How do I find an auto page refresher?

Answer: There are many, however, there do not seem to be any for Internet Explorer. This will be page 4 of the post.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Automatic web page refreshers help you find deals without having to keep clicking and checking.

There are many to choose from. I like Firefox browser with the Check for Change (CFC) add on. link

Others like ReloadEvery, link

What I like about CFC is I can work on my computer with it running in the background reloading the page at my programed intervals. When change happens it alerts me with music.

There are page re-loaders that will send you an e-mail also. TBH I can use help with a list of these.

EDIT: See page 3 for some screen shots to help with CFC setup.

·
Registered
267 Posts
the prices look much lower than the marketing prices, seems nice to buy if needed.

By the way, GIGABYTE is 3 years series-based warranty, too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not recommended... i bought two laptops from newegg 5 months ago... Two Asus G71's and one of them had a problem with display. for the second one, one of the memory modules was missing... Dont buy anything refurbished or opened from newegg...

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Praetorian
View Post

Not recommended... i bought two laptops from newegg 5 months ago... Two Asus G71's and one of them had a problem with display. for the second one, one of the memory modules was missing... Dont buy anything refurbished or opened from newegg...

I've been buying Open Box and Refurbished items from Newegg for ten years. How many items have you purchased, just the two?

·
Updating...
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian;14192591
Nice thread crap. Of course, this thread is about open box video cards, which countless numbers of people have bought from Newegg without any problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buying open box GPU's are at your own risk. You have a 30 day refund policy from Newegg. When you buy an open box Newegg makes you read and agree that you are taking a risk.

This thread is more to help people find the deals and beat the card re-sellers. Many people buy these and then re-sell them as new or barely used, you may as well save money and go to the source.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472
View Post

I've been buying Open Box and Refurbished items from Newegg for ten years. How many items have you purchased, just the two?

Of course not only two. but thats the last time i bought something from newegg

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a question about the warranties.
So let's say I buy an Msi card open box. I get the 30 day refund thing from Newegg.
But because MSI warranties are tied with the serial number, would I still have the 3 year warranty from them? Or do they somehow disable it? (guess the second options doesn't really make much sense)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rkkonrad
View Post

I have a question about the warranties.
So let's say I buy an Msi card open box. I get the 30 day refund thing from Newegg.
But because MSI warranties are tied with the serial number, would I still have the 3 year warranty from them? Or do they somehow disable it? (guess the second options doesn't really make much sense)

Straight from MSI

·
Retired Moderation
10,672 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rulzo
View Post

how often do these cards appear and is there a specific time they appear?

No specific time, seems anytime from early afternoon to early evening. The cards worth it don't always appear either, depends on returns. Keep in mind they resell cards that come back for reasons the original purchaser coudn't use. Once you buy it it's only refundable and not replaceable. Any physical damage it's not even RMA'able. Also Newegg dosen't pick up the tab for the shipping to resend back.

I've heard good and bad stories. It's a gamble.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.