1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Long Time Lurker
920 Posts
I might have to pick up a couple of these. My old 8600 GTS isn't cutting it for folding.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandlermaki View Post
I might have to pick up a couple of these. My old 8600 GTS isn't cutting it for folding.
Go for it!

I'm kicking myself in the butt right now because I had a second computer that needed a videocard and I picked up a 4850 here in the b/s/t for $70. It was a good deal, but this would have been much better for folding.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FriedSushi87 View Post
Does a 9800 GT SLI with a 9800 GTX?
I don't think so. It only SLI's with a GTS 250.
Source:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=150857

As for buying this card, it is the lowest quality 9800GTX+ you can get. Mine had a cooler that vented into the case, and even with an aftermarket cooler, the core overclocks are pitiful. However, it would be good for SLI (even tri-SLI!) and folding like everyone says.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rothen View Post
I don't think so. It only SLI's with a GTS 250.
Source:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=150857

As for buying this card, it is the lowest quality 9800GTX+ you can get. Mine had a cooler that vented into the case, and even with an aftermarket cooler, the core overclocks are pitiful. However, it would be good for SLI (even tri-SLI!) and folding like everyone says.
Lowest quality? Based on what, the brand? The fan design isn't the best, agreed, but it's a 9800GTX+, that's it. Not the best one, not the worst. It is what it is.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWolfe View Post
Lowest quality? Based on what, the brand? The fan design isn't the best, agreed, but it's a 9800GTX+, that's it. Not the best one, not the worst. It is what it is.
There are some doubts whether some models of this PNY 9800GTX+ are GTX+'s at all. In CPU-Z, mine registers as a 65nm chip which is characteristic of a GTX, and I think I got ripped off. It also overclocks identically to most GTX's with an aftermarket cooler without a voltmod. I can only overclock the core to 800
when most GTX+'s clock to +860.

So saying it is a 9800GTX+ is actually wrong, because (from my experience) it could be a rebranded 9800GTX.

There are numerous forum posts on the net which try to prove this point, but there is no official consensus.

Also the stock BIOS will downclock the processor to 2D when it becomes unstable. The problem with this is when you are playing a game, and then your frame rates drop to below 10. This is particularly annoying because it will remain downclocked for at least ten minutes, and you either have to wait or restart the computer to fix the 'failsafe' system. Replacing the BIOS so it always runs on 3D fixes this problem.

Also the fact that it uses 2 PCI-e cords can make it difficult to use in SLI or 3 in SLI.

Yeah, it's just a 9800GTX+ (posibly just a 9800GTX) but there are things that can be done better, and the card has some glitches. However, for the price of $85, this is actually a good deal.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rothen View Post
Also the fact that it uses 2 PCI-e cords can make it difficult to use in SLI or 3 in SLI.

Yeah, it's just a 9800GTX+ (posibly just a 9800GTX) but there are things that can be done better, and the card has some glitches. However, for the price of $85, this is actually a good deal.

The card pictured does NOT use two PCIe connectors, which means it's NOT a 65nm, which means it's NOT a regular GTX.

There's a possibility you have the older version of the XLR8 9800GTX+ which had a different cooler and two PCIe connectors (newegg was selling these not long ago and you can see that some people in the reviews have these cards). I agree that that version was probably a regular GTX, because one of the main points of a GTX+ is the elimination of one of the connectors due to the lower power draw of the 55nm.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Do these things come with an SLI bridge? I'm thinking about going SLI though I've never bothered with it in the past... Currently running a 9800GT which I'll be selling along with an old cpu/mb/ram combo for right about the price of 2 of these so I was thinking I'd grab 2 and SLI 'em.

I'm running @ 1920x1080 which I've read can be a bit much for the 512meg cards-- can anyone out there confirm/deny? Is this a better use of my cash than a 5770/used 5870 considering I don't really give a ****e about dx11 and don't see eyefinity in my future?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
These cards would look great with the PCB black'd out...nice cooler but the gaudy green just kills the cards looks

Quote:

Originally Posted by eskaryo View Post
Do these things come with an SLI bridge? I'm thinking about going SLI though I've never bothered with it in the past... Currently running a 9800GT which I'll be selling along with an old cpu/mb/ram combo for right about the price of 2 of these so I was thinking I'd grab 2 and SLI 'em.

I'm running @ 1920x1080 which I've read can be a bit much for the 512meg cards-- can anyone out there confirm/deny? Is this a better use of my cash than a 5770/used 5870 considering I don't really give a ****e about dx11 and don't see eyefinity in my future?
It's not hard to research these things and doing your own research helps to weed out conflicting "help" you might receive from less the knowledgeable users...anyways here is what i have to say

If you don't have a big interest in folding then yes ATI isn't a bad choice and yes finding a GPU with a full 1GB or more is a really a must at your resolution

One or two 5770's would be a great setup at your resolution as long as they are 1GB models but keep in mind fermi is almost here so waiting a few days to see what comes out couldn't hurt...actually its looking like fermi might bring down some of ATI's pricing

This is a good deal and all on the 9800GTX but considering your resolution you really should be looking for a card in the 1GB or 1GB+ range

If you have anymore questions or need any assistance drop me a PM and i will gladly help you out

Happy hunting

·
Registered
229 Posts
I got mine for ~$114 about 3 months ago so thats a good price if you actually get a 55nm one. I want another one sooooo bad and iam ready to drop 89 on it but no SLI

Quote:

Originally Posted by eskaryo View Post
W/ one card @ 1920x1200 i have trouble maxing out newer games mostly b/c of AA. If AA is down or off it runs smoothly. It maxes out all source games which is good cause ive been playing them mostly. I havent been at my comp in a while so i dnt remember much about it. I

1 - 13 of 13 Posts