Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
More Power
1,114 Posts
Quite the good deal there. GPU plus a Razer Ouroboros and a game for $499. Too bad I don't have the PSU large enough to handle let alone the funds for this.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
RGB Numba Wan!
23,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

without the 4790k using too much voltage and a single 390x2 can work On a 750w psu
http://media.gamersnexus.net/images/media/2016/gpu/devil-13/970v390cf-power.png
Dude, you need to stop speculating with these dual amd cards and their power requirements. We went through this a few months ago when you posted a deal on this same card. That's not a good setup, as you need to ensure enough amps. The 295x2 needs 50 amps for both 8 pins or 28 amps for each 8 pin. The Devil has four 8-pins, and HardOcp, having tested 295x2 and xfire, recommend differently:

Quote:
This video card is a three slot video card and requires four, yes four 8-pin power connectors to operate. The minimum required PSU must be 1000W just to operate this video card. Power requirements are high, and as you will see below so are space requirements. The PCB is built with a 15 phase design (10+2+3), Power Rstage, Super Cap and Ferrite Core Chokes. Together this adds 33% extra power for the GPU and delivers a stable voltage power with peak efficiency up to 93.2%.

Those power requirements are no joke. All your power connectors belong to it, for great justice, move Zig! Make sure you have enough 8-pin power connectors, try not to share the rails too much here, high amperage rating is a good thing for this video card and nothing less than a 1000W PSU. Given the power demand we saw, we'd recommend nothing below a 1200W PSU if you want to also overclock your CPU and have some headroom.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/10/19/powercolor_devil_13_dual_core_r9_390_video_card_review/2#.VxqmaPkrL9Q

Get an EVGA G2 or P2 1000/1300w off ebay for a under $150. Don't go cheap psu on this higher-end card. Again, I'll use the cliche saying: "it's like buying cheap chinese budget tires for your Ferrari".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorhi View Post

Quite the good deal there. GPU plus a Razer Ouroboros and a game for $499. Too bad I don't have the PSU large enough to handle let alone the funds for this.
Budget ~20-30 amps for your system (cpu, mb, water, fans, etc.) and 50+ or multiple 25-28 amp rails for the gpu. If you have any more questions, the 295x2 club can provide more insight.

This card is does need a lot of cooling, so if your power and cooling capabilities are not there or you can't upgrade, look for a couple of 290s with non-reference coolers. I recommend something like the TriX coolers from Sapphire.

edit: hit up @Roaches, he has/had the Devil 290Xx2, he can give you more insight on power and cooling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts