Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I just bought LG Electronics IPS237L-BN LCD LED IPS screen, I thought something was wrong with it because I could not calibrate it the way I wanted it. Pictures looks washed out. I have 2 older IPS (LG IPS235). Pics looks a lot lively compared to IPS237L-BN . I tried many different webtools and softwares, but I was not able to establish the similar color profile.

Then I bought Samsung S24E390HL which is also IPS LED screen. I had exactly the same experience. So at this point, I am assuming none of these monitors are broken as 2 different brand/model having the same issue unlikely. It just looks like red is not enough, but increasing the red setting does not fix it.

Anyone else have the similar issue? Were you able to figure out or it is just a new style IPS screens does not give the old IPS quality?

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
Cutting costs has an effect(old screens have minimal glow).

Please ensure that if you are running HDMI or DP that your set to full range color and not limited as that will make things look washed out. This is set in the AMD or Nvidia control panel.

6gk0fp.jpg

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
Because HDMI and DP are also used on televisions, they need the full and limited since many TV's and programs in the TV world are already limited. DVI was always full range as far as I know.

Your monitor may also have an option to set it to limited to match the computer in limited mode.

By crushing the bottom(this black becomes dark grey and part of the washed out look) and top, it does remove some of the dark noise that videos may have, but other than that, I am not sure why we have more than one standard.

Try to calibrate now and you should have better luck. If you came from CFL(and maybe a wide gamut) to LED, the colors are also different.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukemaster View Post

Because HDMI and DP are also used on televisions, they need the full and limited since many TV's and programs in the TV world are already limited. DVI was always full range as far as I know.

Your monitor may also have an option to set it to limited to match the computer in limited mode.

By crushing the bottom(this black becomes dark grey and part of the washed out look) and top, it does remove some of the dark noise that videos may have, but other than that, I am not sure why we have more than one standard.

Try to calibrate now and you should have better luck. If you came from CFL(and maybe a wide gamut) to LED, the colors are also different.
Yea possible. Now I calibrated and I actually liked this colors better. Now my old monitors look washed out
smile.gif

·
Banned
2,899 Posts
how do you calibrate a monitor ?

does that mean using some special equipment or just setting up the normal settings in the monitor OSD ?

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk-fx View Post

Yea possible. Now I calibrated and I actually liked this colors better. Now my old monitors look washed out
smile.gif
Glad you got it looking great.

Sometimes on a driver reinstall you will have to check that option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post

how do you calibrate a monitor ?

does that mean using some special equipment or just setting up the normal settings in the monitor OSD ?
Windows has a very basic calibration setup built in as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts