Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hows it going current service member who has mostly been involved with automotives but getting into hardware a little more. built some computers in the past but just basic setups nothing crazy and very very mild overclocks back in the day(intel pentium 3 lol). software development major but still very new to it taught myself a tiny bit of python and a little c ++ and java for school, getting involved with arduino to expand my c++ knowledge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im currently setting one up, ive got a cheapo ATX case that mounts the power supply on the bottom and im going to cut the side panel to mount some lexan i have in it and drill holes to put fans where i want.

i actually posted in the intel mobo section to try and select a mobo since im not 100% on them and have a 4670k on the way and corsair 850w power supply. ram i havnt bought yet but thinking corsair vengence and then have decided on msi gtx 770 since they have a larger cooler

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
You will probably get alot of recommendations for the maximus line-up from asus. Its probably one of the best if not the best for overclocking:

http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/Motherboards_Products/

maximus extreme or hero would be the better of the line-up. I am sure thats going to be most recommended from the intel post you made
tongue.gif

as far as ram you would be most impressed with some G.skill trident-x if you can afford them they are primo

and if your at all interested on the other side of the fence, the gtx 770 is good but a HD 7950 would have more overclocking power. Either way good choices though.

What do you plan on using for cooling? Depending on your case size I would recommend going with either custom water or big air cooler.

Noctua NH-D14
Phanteks ph-tc14pe
Alpenfohn K2
Bequiet dark rock pro 2

Would be great examples for good big air coolers but the double tower is almost a must if planning for a big overclock on a powerful cpu.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was actually going for one of the closed loop water cooling systems, im not going crazy with OC and would be happy with 4.5 ghz. the asus are a bit higher then i was looking to spend another member is helping me out currently some of the mobo's im looking at are msi g45, g65, asrock extreme 4, or gigabyte ud3h or ud4h. trick is not spending for stuff i dont actually need. my case is a full size atx but dont have it here yet to see how airflow might work in it(definitely know airflow due to automotives lol)

i did view the 7950 but it seemed that the 770 is the better option for mild over clocks, not going crazy on this since its my first serious build. previously i just did "plug and play" builds with very minor overclocks, like 100 mhz on a intel pentium 3.............. or mayby 200 it wasnt much but i cant remember lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats actually the one i was looking at lol the h100 everyone said bad things and that it wasnt worth it unless you add two additional fans to it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
yeah, really if you want to go with a bigger rad you should look into the NZXT Kraken X60, on silent mode it performs at par with the h100i, on extreme its better then it. You can set to silent and hardly hear it and still get the same or better performance then a h100i:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6530/closing-the-loop-contained-liquidcoolers-from-corsair-and-nzxt-compared/7

maybe even consider the kraken x40 over the h80i if your considering sound as a factor your ears would appreciate it for similar performance (h80i does outperform the x40 though)

Also another better then the h100i:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103184

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was looking at a couple of em just wasnt sure i would be doing anything serious enough for a diy kit lol

·
Registered
2,207 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks waiting on my mobo to show up lol trying to limit myself to one subsystem a month since we are looking to buy a house lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts