Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post. I've always been a gamer, but I hadn't really ever built a system on my own. So last October I bought a second monitor and I've really enjoyed the dual monitors. December came around and I was really getting interested in hardware... So I researched every aspect of hardware for about two months and arrived at this build.

Parts from original computer:
Q6600 G0
500Gb WD 7200rpm
500Gb SG 7200rpm
generic DVD player/burner

New parts:
Antec 1200
Ultra X3 850 Watt
Evga 750i FTW
XFX GTX 260 Black Edition
ZeroTherm NP120 Nirvana
4Gb G.Skill DDR2 1066

Future Plans:
SATA Optical Drive
2nd XFX GTX 260
4Gb of more G.Skill
8-Pin ATX extender
Full Window Mod
Ambient Lighting

Pix taken with a 7.1 MegaPixel FujiFilm and a fisheye lens

Started with some basic cable management for the case fans.

Before any PSU cables were attached.

GPU's compared... (XFX GTX 260 vs. 8500GT)

Cable management after all cables were attached. It may not look pretty... but there's no buldge on the side panel.

And of course, the finished product inside...

Everything running, and of course some artsy dark photos...

I came from the custom car & truck scene so it just felt right to squeeze a computer for all the power it was worth.

The original build with the stock Q6600 and the 8500GT netted a 3DMark06 of 2205.

After fiddling with the various overclocking tools and reading countless threads about it, I reached 3.6 Ghz and an aggresive overclock on the GTX 260 for a 3DMark06 of 16313. I'm still learning every day about overclocking and stability. I feel safe at 3.2Ghz for the moment, but for bench marking and showing off I think there's more room past that 16.3k.

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Awesome cable management, good job bud.

+rep

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sounds like a great system there judging from the specs. Nice job on the build and cable management, it looks great!

That looks like one crazy CPU cooler!

Off topic: was that a NOFX poster there? It's been a long time since I've seen that band.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a ton guys, I feel very welcome here.

Absolutely a NOFX poster, going to see them this summer.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
good job :]

Now ovaclock that q6600!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:
Full Window Mod
8 Pin ATX power extension
Sata optical drive
New north bridge fan
2x cold cathodes w/ switch on back panel
Heavy duty cable management (involved a dremel and a couple metal cutting bits)

Still in the making:
PCI Slot fan controller (I don't want to throw off the front appearance just to control a single damn NB fan)
2nd XFX GTX 260 BE
UV green paint on certain areas of the interior of the case... this is still definately being considered because I'm not sure if I want to go through with ruining the beautiful black interior.

Results:

Before & After Cathodes

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow! Very neat and organized! I love the setup; good choice on the monitor!
Very impressive, especially for a first build.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomagenesis View Post
Awesome, but your room hurts my eyes

My girlfriend worked for a punk label, so, the posters don't hurt my eyes... the fisheye thing gave me a headache though. =p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow, that is one hot build, I too have a 1200 case but didn't think of rearranging them like that, give it more of an even look. Everything else, I dunno where to start but +rep fo' sho'!

Will be replacing all my front fans late next week with something not far off these

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pretty much complete with this build. Ordered water cooling parts a week or two ago, and I've finished installing everything. I just need to finish drilling the hole for the filler tubing to fit through to the top filler cap.

Here are the water cooling parts:
Heatkiller Rev 3.0 775
EK 780i NB
EK 790i SB
XSPC RX480
MCP 655
Scythe Kaze Master Ace Black
4x 120x25mm Yate Loon Medium Speeds
1x Radbox Rev 1.0
1x Radbox Rev 2.0
10" Tygon 1/2" ID 5/8" OD
14x Bitspower Compression Fittings
2x Bitspower T Blocks
1 Bitspower Stopper/Drain Port
1 Bitspower Filler Cap
Feser One F1 Green
Koolance Anti-Kink Springs
A couple 3/4" worm drives
PetraTech "PT Nuke"
2 drops of Palmolive dish washing soap

There's only one tiny kink in the tubing, between the NB and SB, don't think it affects flow that much. The temperatures are not hooked up to anything, they are just hanging off the side of the desk at the moment. I need to notch the opposite side panel for the Yate Loons to reach the fan controller, then I will have the other panel screwed on.

Pic below is the filler cap.

The hole with light coming through next to the 200mm fan is where I plan on having the filler tube meet with the filler cap.

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
geez dude you have a awesome rig! I wanna do a mod like that on the new corsair case thats coming out!

But amazing looking build! the radiator is huge

1 - 20 of 24 Posts