Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Scientists have found the "mother," or origin, of all skin cells and say their discovery could dramatically improve skin treatments for victims of serious wounds and burns.

Hans Clevers and a team of Dutch and Swedish researchers conducted a study in mice and found that the stem cell that gives produces all the different cells of the skin actually lives in hair follicles.

The findings, which they say will translate for human use, mean it may be possible to harness these stem cells to help with wound repair or skin transplants for burns victims, they said in a study in the Science journal on Thursday.

"This is the mother of all the stem cells in the skin -- it makes all the other stem cells," Clevers, of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences in Utrecht, told Reuters in a telephone interview.

"The same stem cells exist in humans, we can see them, and the promise is that these cells are probably going to be much better than anything we have had to date at making new skin."
Now to just temporarily disable gene p21 in these cells...

Source

·
Registered
511 Posts
Muahaha, combo this with the gene p21 hack and we have ultimate regen (this seriously sounds similar to unlocking an extra core on a processor
)

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regeneration was supported by the hardware, but we had to wait for proper driver support.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant
View Post

Regeneration was supported by the hardware, but we had to wait for proper driver support.

Haha, I love that

Now all we need to do is figure out how to stop chromosome decay and we can all live forever.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
While we're at it.... myostatin-blocker would be nice too.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

That's coming in the Humanity 2.0 patch, also known as the Adeptus Astartes.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
So happy to be living right now. Inflating my life expectancy feels good.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Have you seen the video/special of the toddler with "broken" myostatin receptors? A 3yr doing pull-ups.... He's like 40% stronger than a kid his own size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by videoman5
View Post

So happy to be living right now. Inflating my life expectancy feels good.

The singularity is near?

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Have you seen the video/special of the toddler with "broken" myostatin receptors? A 3yr doing pull-ups.... He's like 40% stronger than a kid his own size.
I've heard about that kid. It'll be interesting to see how he grows up and oh god I sound like a paedophile.

·
Registered
380 Posts
More stem cell research. it could do so much to help people. And yet it's still fiercely debated over.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Quote:

View Post

It will probably only be in the $2,000,000 range for the treatment, and it will only be for the influential. If people suddenly stop dying from bodily damage and malfunction then they will start dying of starvation.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanb213
View Post

Think about it, we all live forever, then there is no room for more people eventually. we HAVE to die.

Nope... Off to Mars!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiXiam View Post
I'm I the only one thinking about growing skin for a terminator?

No not really, this was the first thing that popped into my mind, even before humans

after all look at my username

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Ahhhhhh..... why didn't I need to look that up.
I need to get out more..

To the OP. there is no reason to remove the p21 gene as with the introduction of a growing batch of cells, the body will naturally adjust to its surroundings. Case in point, if you engineer a vein and implant it half way through its projected growth, the body will take what you gave it and complete the job for you, changing its structures as it goes along.

A real gem of a discovery would be adhoc cell to cell communication and how it works.

I live in a lab.
--------
About living forever... Death is the ultimate equalizer. People begin to truly appreciate life when they are told they dont have much time left. It is necessary. Plus, your cells will only divide up to a certain count. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
16,528 Posts
Quote:

View Post

The singularity is near?

wasnt he stronger than a kid twice his age.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weedvender
View Post

About living forever... Death is the ultimate equalizer. People begin to truly appreciate life when they are told they dont have much time left. It is necessary. Plus, your cells will only divide up to a certain count. Sorry.

"Sigh"... you just had to ruin my day didnt you, i thought i was working on a breakthrough until u mentioned that >.<

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanb213
View Post

Think about it, we all live forever, then there is no room for more people eventually. we HAVE to die.

Nah, we don't HAVE to die. We could just regulate reproduction so that every time a person gets killed, a person would be born. This would be done by having harsh penalties for people that have children out of turn. A few random babies may be born, however it would limit the exponential growth of population. We would still have suicides, car accidents, death penalties, diseases, etc. so many people would still die.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts