Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I remember when......
Joined
·
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO--In an unusual partnership, old foes Microsoft and Novell have joined forces to work on harmonizing their products.

The companies said Thursday they will collaborate on development of specific technologies, for example to help Microsoft's Windows, a proprietary operating system, work with Novell's Suse Linux, which is based on open-source code. On the business side, they will promote each other's products.

In addition, the software makers have struck a deal on patents designed to give customers peace of mind about using Novell's open-source products, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Novell CEO Ronald Hovsepian said at an event here.

and...


Quote:
Additionally, Microsoft will officially recommend Suse Linux Enterprise for people who want to run both Windows and Linux. It will distribute coupons for maintenance and support for Novell's Suse Linux Enterprise Server operating system. Microsoft and Novell will help each other's customers with support, transferring people over to the other company's help staff if needed.

SOURCE: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6...feed&subj=zdnn
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,847 Posts
This is good and bad.

Good because it means alot of proprietry technologies like NTFS will be ported to other distro's.

Bad because it means Microsoft is going to get a hold of linux and 'American Pie' it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Jester View Post
This is good and bad.

Good because it means alot of proprietry technologies like NTFS will be ported to other distro's.

Bad because it means Microsoft is going to get a hold of linux and 'American Pie' it.
Yeah...past history shows that this can ONLY be a bad thing. M$ NEVER does anything for purely altruistic reasons. I guess they are seeing the writing on the sky: LINUX is to be taken seriously.

I read somewhere that M$ single, most profitable, venture has always been the Office products. It only makes sense to build Linux Office.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,891 Posts
Quote:
Bad because it means Microsoft is going to get a hold of linux and 'American Pie' it.
what do you mean by american pie it,

the only good thing is geting windows stuff like games to run in linux, other then that i can only see bad, once ms controls it it will be done as far as the consumer goes
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,000 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MADMAX22 View Post
what do you mean by american pie it,

the only good thing is geting windows stuff like games to run in linux, other then that i can only see bad, once ms controls it it will be done as far as the consumer goes
thats the sad thing, M$ needs to forget about the f****** money and focus on the people who buy their products
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,891 Posts
lol youll end up with a 200$ virus port called susesoft sp10.2 nicknamed bsod that you cant get installed on more then one comp, oh and shortly after words all those free bsd's will become illegal since they now infringe on copy right laws
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,573 Posts
On the other hand...Directx10 for Linux? I would ditch M$ in a hot second.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,472 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MADMAX22
View Post

what do you mean by american pie it,

the only good thing is geting windows stuff like games to run in linux, other then that i can only see bad, once ms controls it it will be done as far as the consumer goes


Colour - Color

D=

Damn American programing.
 

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
Joined
·
7,336 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MADMAX22
View Post

lol youll end up with a 200$ virus port called susesoft sp10.2 nicknamed bsod that you cant get installed on more then one comp, oh and shortly after words all those free bsd's will become illegal since they now infringe on copy right laws

Operating System
xp pro

'nuff said. (Oh and who has BSOD's anymore nowadays? You really have to try hard to BSOD.)

I think this is a step in the right direction. They aren't buying out SuSe (welll they are a little) and making it Microsoft Linux. I think we'll begin to see a lot more good things out of this.
 

·
I remember when......
Joined
·
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a BSOD on my XP Home equipped laptop last week......but that is more likely because it is a Dell to be honest....all the extra crap they put on them.....since the warrenty is expired, I'll wipe the drive and install XP Pro and probably won't have an issue again.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top