Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
New to OCN?
Joined
·
26,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The weirdest star in the cosmos just got a lot weirder. And yes, it might be aliens.

Known as KIC 8462852, or Tabby's star, it has been baffling astronomers for the past few months after a team of researchers noticed its light seemed to be dipping in brightness in bizarre ways. Proposed explanations ranged from a cloud of comets to orbiting "alien megastructures".

Now an analysis of historical observations reveals the star has been gradually dimming for over a century, leaving everyone scratching their heads as to the cause.
The first signs of this space oddity came from NASA's planet-hunting Kepler space telescope, which continually watched the star's region of the sky between 2009 and 2013. Most planet-hosting stars show small, regular dips in light when their planets pass in front of them. But Tabby's star dipped erratically throughout the four years, sometimes losing as much as 20 per cent of its brightness.
Source https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn28786-comets-cant-explain-weird-alien-megastructure-star-after-all/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
Quote:
he thinks even advanced aliens wouldn't be able to build something capable of covering a fifth of a star in just a century.
Not making any wild speculations here, but the ignorance / arrogance of some people is seemingly boundless.

He has literally zero basis for that statement. But, because we couldn't conceivable do it, nothing could.. lol.

/humans.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean View Post

Not making any wild speculations here, but the ignorance / arrogance of some people is seemingly boundless.

He has literally zero basis for that statement. But, because we couldn't conceivable do it, nothing could.. lol.

/humans.
"He thinks", just a guess based on our current understanding. There isn't warp drive or matter transporters or anything else that advanced aliens might be expect to possess, that's all fiction. It's a structure that engulfs a whole star, pretty massive, huge amounts of raw materials that have to be processed and moved even larger distances without breaking the laws of physics. If you can't just magic one up it's going to take a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post

"He thinks", just a guess based on our current understanding. There isn't warp drive or matter transporters or anything else that advanced aliens might be expect to possess, that's all fiction. It's a structure that engulfs a whole star, pretty massive, huge amounts of raw materials that have to be processed and moved even larger distances without breaking the laws of physics. If you can't just magic one up it's going to take a while.
While our knowledge of the laws of physics may seem advanced, a highly advanced alien race may find it childish. I'll I'm saying is that there's a possibility that we don't know something "they" do.

How do we know there isn't a way to transport/manufactur super structures in space?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post

"He thinks", just a guess based on our current understanding. There isn't warp drive or matter transporters or anything else that advanced aliens might be expect to possess, that's all fiction. It's a structure that engulfs a whole star, pretty massive, huge amounts of raw materials that have to be processed and moved even larger distances without breaking the laws of physics. If you can't just magic one up it's going to take a while.
You missed the point, by about a Parsec.
 

·
You broke it!
Joined
·
14,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean View Post

Not making any wild speculations here, but the ignorance / arrogance of some people is seemingly boundless.

He has literally zero basis for that statement. But, because we couldn't conceivable do it, nothing could.. lol.

/humans.
Yup.
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
47,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffek View Post

Simple math has proven there are no aliens. Move along everyone.
Advanced math has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffek View Post

Simple math has proven there are no aliens. Move along everyone.
You mean if I kill everyone I can be the ONLY person in the universe? JOY!
 

·
Old to Overclock.net
Joined
·
6,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGordon View Post

While our knowledge of the laws of physics may seem advanced, a highly advanced alien race may find it childish. I'll I'm saying is that there's a possibility that we don't know something "they" do.
I don't think our understanding is advanced at all. The Standard Model is full of holes and question marks. Gravity, the Higgs Field, Dark Matter and Energy and any fundamental interactions they may have with each other... string theory looks like it's dying an antagonizing death. And who knows what else we still have no clue about.

I guess you can call us advanced compared to living in caves 100,000 years ago, but compared to any species capable of interstellar travel, we're still not much evolved from primates.
 

·
486DX2 66
Joined
·
3,780 Posts
scratches head.. So what could be blocking ~20% of the entire view-able light of a 1.43 M☉ star that isn't leaving a footprint.. If it was dying it would be going into a red giant phase before the collapse right?

If a black hole was swallowing up the star, I'm sure there would be a disturbance in the nearby gravitational field throwing other stars orbits out of whack.. Or maybe a rogue black hole between us and the star in question is blocking 20% of our view of it.. or a mega-epic-massive planet about 3 times the size of Jupiter could be following a strange orbit where it slowly moved in front of the star and somehow defies all odds and manages to stay precisely between us and the star. Or a very dense cloud of cosmic debris moving by... Or maybe aliens are using a 100% efficient, leak proof solar vacuum to store and compress it's immense power super stealth like.

Or, more likely, it's the end of the world. Awaiting for the "date" to arrive for everybody to panic. Hopefully those aliens aren't harnessing it's power to create a megamassive earth destroying laser. Or maybe that would be cool.

Until the above date passes, then we can get back to figuring out what the heck this star is up to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,885 Posts
Speculation will last an eternity.

Without the power to scope in on it we'll never know.

However this assumption is as good as any, potentially it's a Star failing to form. Like a glowing dusty ball.
 

·
486DX2 66
Joined
·
3,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyVT View Post

Speculation will last an eternity.

Without the power to scope in on it we'll never know.

However this assumption is as good as any, potentially it's a Star failing to form. Like a glowing dusty ball.
I'm more in the party that Elvis has continued gaining weight and is now about .5 solar masses in size, and he's throwing a party right in front of that star. Who knows! But it sure is interesting to think about the infinite possibilities!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Don View Post

I'm more in the party that Elvis has continued gaining weight and is now about .5 solar masses in size, and he's throwing a party right in front of that star. Who knows! But it sure is interesting to think about the infinite possibilities!
Space Elvis. Singing with David Bowie?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe View Post

I don't think our understanding is advanced at all. The Standard Model is full of holes and question marks. Gravity, the Higgs Field, Dark Matter and Energy and any fundamental interactions they may have with each other... string theory looks like it's dying an antagonizing death. And who knows what else we still have no clue about.

I guess you can call us advanced compared to living in caves 100,000 years ago, but compared to any species capable of interstellar travel, we're still not much evolved from primates.
Even as someone who doesn't believe in alines (or what not) I still agree with people who say what you just said. I'll believe it when I see it but even IF there is someone out there I'm quite sure we are primates compared to them if they are capable of interstellar travel. Doesn't matter what our physics tells us right now, one of these days someone can figure out something we may not yet know and that would alone turn a lot of things upside down.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean View Post

Not making any wild speculations here, but the ignorance / arrogance of some people is seemingly boundless.

He has literally zero basis for that statement. But, because we couldn't conceivable do it, nothing could.. lol.

/humans.
Yup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean View Post

Quote:
he thinks even advanced aliens wouldn't be able to build something capable of covering a fifth of a star in just a century.
Not making any wild speculations here, but the ignorance / arrogance of some people is seemingly boundless.

He has literally zero basis for that statement. But, because we couldn't conceivable do it, nothing could.. lol.

/humans.
In order for the dyson sphere to exist, you'll need a large amount of mass to create it. Hell, if you were to create a dyson sphere on our solar system, it would require more mass than the combined mass in our entire solar system.
 

·
Old to Overclock.net
Joined
·
6,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRabbit View Post

Even as someone who doesn't believe in alines (or what not) I still agree with people who say what you just said. I'll believe it when I see it but even IF there is someone out there I'm quite sure we are primates compared to them if they are capable of interstellar travel. Doesn't matter what our physics tells us right now, one of these days someone can figure out something we may not yet know and that would alone turn a lot of things upside down.
Yeah. Human vanity and ego lead us to believe we're some advanced beings because we're so much more developed compared to the rest of life on the planet, which we really aren't by much a few percent different from a pig or half of it with a damn banana. I'm sure once we do figure out all of the missing components from the Standard Model, there's a good chance a lot of stuff will need to be completely rewritten to accommodate all of it.
 
1 - 20 of 120 Posts
Top