Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if its easy to make the gx2 fold on both cores, if that's the case i dont need to buy a whole new setup. I have 4 machines w/2 slots, all have psu's 600-750 watt psu's. My question is should i just add a rig w/4 gs's or gso's or upgrade some or all of the cards in the 2 slot mobos. i have 2x 9600gso's 2x8800gt's 3x 9600gt's and a 9800 gt in those machines.

EDIT ; 4 x 8800gs is what i got.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Folding easy? Crazy person!

If you sold all of your current cards and replaced them with 9800GX2's I think you would just be running in circles.

Sell two 5000PPD cards for one 10,000 PPD card that probably pulls as much power if not more? Seems like a lot of hassle for the same return.

Unless I'm just completely wrong.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpm666
View Post

Folding easy? Crazy person!

If you sold all of your current cards and replaced them with 9800GX2's I think you would just be running in circles.

Sell two 5000PPD cards for one 10,000 PPD card that probably pulls as much power if not more? Seems like a lot of hassle for the same return.

Unless I'm just completely wrong.

2 gx2's would have double the return, wouldn't it? Also would make 2 slot mobo get the points of a 4 slot without having to buy psu ram cpu etc.I'm not doing it withou expecting to pay for the up grade.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by markt
View Post

2 gx2's would have double the return, wouldn't it? Also would make 2 slot mobo get the points of a 4 slot without having to buy psu ram cpu etc.I'm not doing it withou expecting to pay for the up grade.

Ok, I read right over that - I thought you had said 4 slots on each board - so the GX2 would actually block a slot. But, if it's only two per board then you should probably go visit the for sale section.

Sorry about that.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

View Post

Ok, I read right over that - I thought you had said 4 slots on each board - so the GX2 would actually block a slot. But, if it's only two per board then you should probably go visit the for sale section.

Sorry about that.

Its alright, i just want to know if its a hassle getting both cores to do an instance of gpu.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Its alright, i just want to know if its a hassle getting both cores to do an instance of gpu.

I've read it's not as big of a hassle as one might think. Just disable SLI, dummy plug each DVI port that doesn't have a monitor in it, extend the desktop to each and set the appropriate -gpu 0/-gpu 1/-gpu 2/-gpu 3 flags for each card.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Mark, now may not be the time bro!!!

You may wish to see how Stanford handles these new low-PPD WUs (btw, check your temps often!). There's one contributor that I know of that posts often here that might give an idea of how these roll. Over at foldingforum, the reports I see say 3800 PPD on each core. I think I'd get kind of pizzed off if that happened to me

I can tell you that my 2 9800GTX+ cards are still putting out 6200 with the new WUs as well & are at around 60C with fan set to 85%. I've seen these cards going around $160. Sad to say, but 2 of them will probably out-point a single GX2 at around the same cost. Smaller die-size equals better temps, less power as well

I couldn't even imagine what a volt-mod could do for them.... Hmmm.. where's CL3? LOL

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I've read it's not as big of a hassle as one might think. Just disable SLI, dummy plug each DVI port that doesn't have a monitor in it, extend the desktop to each and set the appropriate -gpu 0/-gpu 1/-gpu 2/-gpu 3 flags for each card.

QTF. Folding on a GX2 is just like folding on two single-gpu cards in one machine, just make sure SLI is disabled and they are dummy plugged.

I've since stopped folding on both my GPU cores and am only using one right now, but i can tell you that it wasn't too hard to setup. with my current overclock at 692 core, and linked shader, each of my GPUs on my card do 6000+ppd (only using one right now though, as i have SLI enabled), about 5500 PPD stock clocks(600 core).

I saw a couple used ones going for around the 200-225us on e-bay a little while ago, so that could be a good deal if you wanted to go that route.

That said, the 9800GTX+'s will out ppd them, but not by too much. But if you want to get 4 GPUs folding in your 2 slot rig, setting up a couple GX2's shouldn't be too hard, and should produce some nice PPD.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sub1!me
View Post

QTF. Folding on a GX2 is just like folding on two single-gpu cards in one machine, just make sure SLI is disabled and they are dummy plugged.

I've since stopped folding on both my GPU cores and am only using one right now, but i can tell you that it wasn't too hard to setup. with my current overclock at 692 core, and linked shader, each of my GPUs on my card do 6000+ppd (only using one right now though, as i have SLI enabled), about 5500 PPD stock clocks(600 core).

I saw a couple used ones going for around the 200-225us on e-bay a little while ago, so that could be a good deal if you wanted to go that route.

That said, the 9800GTX+'s will out ppd them, but not by too much. But if you want to get 4 GPUs folding in your 2 slot rig, setting up a couple GX2's shouldn't be too hard, and should produce some nice PPD.

Hey, there he is!

+REP

Forgot to do that the last time you posted the info!

They did have the 9800GX2 at The EVGA ebay Store , but are currently out of stock. They were $219.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Attachment 87733

Attachment 87734
I went ahead and got it, 1 machine. 4 cards

man...you didn't use Live Search for cash back?......

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
may i ask where you got your 8800GS's? been trying to find some..

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iandroo888
View Post

may i ask where you got your 8800GS's? been trying to find some..

It says in his picture......EVGA's B-stock store on eBay.

• Rep+
Reactions: iandroo888

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
ah thx thx

whats better? 8800GS or 9600GSO?

considering the 8800GS and 9600GSO are the same price according to that site, i may go towards the 9600GSO because it has a bigger heatsink so i can turn the fan low making it quiet.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iandroo888 View Post
ah thx thx

whats better? 8800GS or 9600GSO?

considering the 8800GS and 9600GSO are the same price according to that site, i may go towards the 9600GSO because it has a bigger heatsink so i can turn the fan low making it quiet.
They both produce the same PPD, I believe the 9600GSO's are dual slot. I know the 8800GS's are single slot, they will stay cooler when folding on a quad PCI-e board. Those dual slot cards are right on top of each other, the PCI-e slots are really close.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts