Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be building a rig in the next few months. I have a few options on wht i can do. I know it is a tough choice, but thats why i want some third opinions.
. Thanks in advance

OPTION 1:
DFI Lanparty NF3
3700 Clawhammer
OCZ EL PC-3200
XFX 6600GT
Venus 12

OPTION 2:
DFI Lanparty NF3
3400 Newcastle
OCZ EL PC-3200
Leadtek 6800GT
Venus 12

·
Registered
712 Posts
If you are dead set on either of those I would go with option 2... the vid card is more reliable and the CPU is faster (don;t know in terms of Overclocking it though.)

·
Registered
712 Posts
then go with the clawhammer with the Leadtek vid card...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well I don;t know what to tell you... you can always upgrade the CPU later as they get cheaper... but then again you can do the same with the video card. Go with your first option if you like having the 1mb cache... go with the second one if you want better graphics hardware... either way it's preference at this point just remember you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whats the difference between 1MB L2 and 512K L2? like how much of a performance increase?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCnerd2357
Whats the difference between 1MB L2 and 512K L2? like how much of a performance increase?
it depends on what you are doing... basically the CPU can have more instructions waiting to be processed the more [email protected] you have.. it saves bandwidth on the FSB going to the memory but all in all it's only about a 10% increase. HOWEVER. with more L2 you can see more stability when running at higher speeds in my experience.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by timj010

10% increase are you sure I thought it was like 5%

again it depends on what apps you are running.. soem will load the cache alot more than others..

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Its much less than 10% since AMD64 has memory controller on DIE.

It does help but if you get a good overclock on the Newcastle I dont think you would notice to much.
I would say go for the second setup... Much better GPU and the CPU can be overclocked... Probabley not as much as the 3700 but the first rig you will be GPU limited when it comes to gaming and benchmarking.

The second rig is a much better all round rig... Has the CPU power and GPU power.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittani

again it depends on what apps you are running.. soem will load the cache alot more than others..

Main sort or prggies to do this would be Adobe Photoshop and proggies for converting sounds or video.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK

Main sort or prggies to do this would be Adobe Photoshop and proggies for converting sounds or video.

anything multimedia will help having the 1mb.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

its pretty much the difference between a winchester and a FX
exept you have a locked multi and naturally FX chips are the best off the press

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the only problem is, is that i dont game much ad i want a good rig for non-gaminh apps

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

the only problem is, is that i dont game much ad i want a good rig for non-gaminh apps

Then go with the first option!!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well if youre not gonna game at all I would recommend the 5700LE, but if you do gaming on the side, go for the 6600gt

1 - 20 of 29 Posts