Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was looking towards a new system first by looking into the Intel's and after the AMD 64's, and I must say I am really impressed by the performance of the 64 in the benchmark I've seen
So with the help of my Dad I am now cumulating a total of 2000$CDN for a new comp.
I was looking for a mobo with those specs: DDR 400 and PCI express.
So I'm waiting for your suggestions

Thanks,
JackTheRipper.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah! But I'm looking for a complete AMD 64

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
3400+DTR 939
Gigabyte K8NF-9 Skt 939 PCIE
2x512 OCZ PC3200 VX GOLD
120GB SATA HDD
nVidia 6600GT or 6800GT
Cheiftec Dragon Case or your choice
X-Connect 500W PSU
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer or LS or ZS
Cooling of your choice.

All cept the DTR can be found at www.tigerdirect.ca or www.bigfootcomputers.com

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that Mobo reliable for oc'ing?
And I was checking the PC4400 XMS memory

So its all good

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

3400+DTR 939
Gigabyte K8NF-9 Skt 939 PCIE
2x512 OCZ PC3200 VX GOLD
120GB SATA HDD
nVidia 6600GT or 6800GT
Cheiftec Dragon Case or your choice
X-Connect 500W PSU
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer or LS or ZS
Cooling of your choice.

All cept the DTR can be found at www.tigerdirect.ca or www.bigfootcomputers.com

DTR and Mobile CPU's are only avaliable in socket 754.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
lol yeah man if there were DTR 939s I'd have one right now
On a somewhat completely unrelated note, they are releasing ah 939 3700 ClawHammer... but chances still are it'll cost more than my kidney

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

lol yeah man if there were DTR 939s I'd have one right now
On a somewhat completely unrelated note, they are releasing ah 939 3700 ClawHammer... but chances still are it'll cost more than my kidney

Well the 3700+ 754 is like 400+ so that one is definitely going to cost quite a bit more.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which core should I buy?Is it better 939's or 754's?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The best cores are SledgeHammer and ClawHammer because they have 1MB of L2 cache vs 512K on the other chips. The only way to get SledgeHammer on Socket 939 is to buy an FX chip, and I don't think you have that big of a budget. I still whole-heartedly recommend Socket 754 for its price to performance ration. You can get ClawHammer chips in the form of DTRs and 62-watt Mobiles that overclock extremely well and are quite reasonably cheap. The only downfall to Socket 754 is no PCI-e (no good PCI-e support at least, nForce 4 standard are basically reject chips) and no support for Dual-Core chips come that time. But if you don't plan on upgrading for another year or so, there's no need to waste money on such things since their cheaper equivalents perform just as good and AMD is already planning a new socket and new support come 2006 (Socket 1207, dual-channel 667MHz DDR2, PCI-e SLI, Dual cores, the whole shabang, and that's when I'll be doing my upgrading).

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then I'll go for a 754, and the savings ill make will go on next technologies (Dual Cores...)what would be the best mobo for the 754?And is DDR2 really worth the price?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
It will be by the time AMD implements it. Best Socket 754 is the DFI LANParty UT nF3-250Gb. About $110US, so I guess that's like $160-180 CDN?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would buying a new case and psu plus the DFI lanparty and the 3400 M-XP64 be a good idea?How much could I achieve. (is the CPU unlocked ?)
Thanx,
JTR

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Case wouldn't matter much, but getting a good power supply always helps. OCZ Power Stream are really good, and I've got a Forton Source 530 watt that seems to be just as good and a little cheaper. Sadly, no the Mobile 64's are not unlocked, but they still overclock extremely well with good memory, and through some basic testing on my own, I saw 0 performance lost when using a different divider. I was able to get my 3400 to 2.6GHz with just 1.55vcore and definately could go higher, but I'm having memory problems and temperature issues for some reason (heatsink won't mount correctly), but I'd say with a 3400 2.6 is all but guaranteed, and that's the performance of an FX-55 right there.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Here's the system I'd put together if it were my money:

A64 3200+ S939
EPoX 9NPA+ Ultra
2 x 512 OCZ EL Rev. 2 Platinum PC3200
2 x WD 74gb Raptors
Leadtek WinFast A400 GT TDH PCI-E
Lian Li PC85 Full Tower Case
OCZ Modstream or Powerstream PSU
Thermalright XP-120 & Panaflo Fan
All the usual legacy devices (DVD Burner, CD Burner, Floppy, etc.)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well what you would buy is 2000$US easily...

I might only buy the DFI lanparty and the 3400+XP64M and later change the Graphics card and memory

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningRioT

nah, just wait till dual core and pair it up with a dfi board that supports dual core.. you can just use some system that does its job for now.

No sense in playing the waiting game cause you'll never win, the market changes too fast, best just to splurge and buy a nice system while you can so you can have time to enjoy it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts