Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
A version of the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act (CISA) that is free from almost any privacy protections is now part of the federal budget that's nearly guaranteed to pass. CISA passed the Senate in October, something privacy advocates were against, and now an even worse version of it is being sneaked through the legislative system.

With this bill, the government incentivizes companies to share private customer data with the authorities and protects them from any possible action from customers. CISA's language is so vague that any "anomalous patterns of communication" are grounds for a company to hand over data.
Source.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyone When I Talk About Win10 Privacy Concerns
Yeah but you can't equate Windows 10 data connection to government data connection.
Slippery slope. If the government isn't systematically stripping you of your civil rights at a learnedly appropriate pace to keep you from doing something about it, they've got to have some damn good luck to be succeeding at it so cautiously by mistake.

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
At what point do we say enough is enough and stop them? It would likely (by likely I mean guarantee) an all out civil war, which is a problem...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by assaulth3ro911 View Post

At what point do we say enough is enough and stop them?
Unfortunately the majority of humans are far too dumb, ignorant and naive to do anything until they have no choice at which point it's usually too little too late.
thumb.gif

Caitlyn Jenner tho, everyone's an expert on that subject. Cuz y'know... priorities and stuff...
tongue.gif

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by degenn View Post

Unfortunately the majority of humans are far too dumb, ignorant and naive to do anything until they have no choice at which point it's usually too little too late.
thumb.gif

Caitlyn Jenner tho, everyone's an expert on that subject. Cuz y'know... priorities and stuff...
tongue.gif
You hit the nail on the head there. I blame parents, media, and school systems (both private and public) that continually pump out non-thinking subservient automatons. Though I guess it is easier/ more comfortable to plug your ears and yell LA-LA-LA-LA-LA than to acknowledge the truth of the world around you.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Thomas Jefferson

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by assaulth3ro911 View Post

At what point do we say enough is enough and stop them? It would likely (by likely I mean guarantee) an all out civil war, which is a problem...
Just imagine how many people have passively debated this since the inception of the United States. The bar gets pushed a bit more every generation. More than a century ago people debated civil disobedience because the IRS began trying to enforce taxation as law because they interpreted taxation as slavery. Not long ago we were up in arms over the government regulating our freedom to drive. Not long after that we were up in arms because they were forcing us to get insurance to cover accidents we haven't yet had. Soon after, we were upset because we felt being stopped for proof of insurance was a 4th amendment violation. Now we're stopped at borders just to check if we're certified citizens.

Just look at history. The cycles of civilization are nearly as unbreakable as those in nature. It's nothing new.

·
Politically incorrect
9,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyone When I Talk About Win10 Privacy Concerns
Yeah but you can't equate Windows 10 data connection to government data connection.
Slippery slope. If the government isn't systematically stripping you of your civil rights at a learnedly appropriate pace to keep you from doing something about it, they've got to have some damn good luck to be succeeding at it so cautiously by mistake.
Tinfoil hattery! MSpy only collect everything we do on their beta platform (Win Spy) to feed us advertisements and who doesn't want ads in their Enterprise edition software? Google do it so why can't MSpy do it in the OS we're going to pay for?

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,118 Posts
I've never understood what people seem to think is the upside to the government to all the horrible things they get accused of. Evil sinister plots to...do...what, exactly? BUT THEY MIGHT KNOW THINGS!!!

...and...then what?

Seriously, what are you afraid of them doing?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

I've never understood what people seem to think is the upside to the government to all the horrible things they get accused of. Evil sinister plots to...do...what, exactly? BUT THEY MIGHT KNOW THINGS!!!

...and...then what?

Sigh. Against my better judgement of posting things like this on web. I'll try to keep this kosher.

What we, or at least I am afraid of in this case are 2 things.
1. Them gathering intel on people in power like judges, senators, governors and future presidents and than using it to blackmail them to do what they want effectively crowing themselves a de facto 4th branch that does what it wants when it wants to with no one to oppose it. Don't believe me? search for this dude's name "Russ Tice". Yeah..... so that's ONE reason to hate this.

2. By constantly enforcing their offensive "cyber security" policy they make YOU less safe. The same hole they leave behind or make others can use to eff you out of your money, identity and reputation. Everyone gets panicked over target hacks or medical records stolen in bulk, the fact is, if this policy wasn't in place this would have been a LOT harder to accomplish we would all actually be more protected from a very real threat of cyber warfare.

So yeah this is super kosher summary of why I am in particular unhappy about this. Even if you don't care about 1st reason, you have got to care about your money, identity and reputation, right? Oo

·
Registered
459 Posts
Quote:

...and...then what?

I'm not afraid of the government doing anything. It simply doesnt have the right to the data in the first place. With perfectly vague language like "Anomalous patterns of communication" its designed to get around that pesky 4th Amendment and the concept of probable cause for a warrant.

And that's enough about politics for this board.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Quote:

...and...then what?

I wish they still taught history in school, the way they used to. If it were, no one would ever have to ask the question you're asking right now.
I don't mean that to come off as condescending because it's not meant to be. It's not something that I can fault anyone for not understanding; it's overwhelmingly more common for us to choose faith over ownership in the actions of our government.

Faith is not something to be placed in government. Faith is what you choose when you're unwilling or unable to understand something that you know you should. When you embrace a culture of having faith in government, you embrace much of what comes with any faith doctrine. Before you even start debating the integrity of government, you disregard your own inherent ability to lay judgement. You assume "they might know things."

When the majority of a people assume a role of inferiority and reconcile that vulnerability by having faith in the integrity of their "superiors," they put each other in a very precarious situation. If the integrity of the government is compromised, people won't easily break their faith to recognize it. The faithful default to denial because the brain finds it very difficult to reconcile a conflict with a long-held faith. We've all seen what a person in denial looks like. Logic becomes irrelevant. They already chose faith over logic.

I'm a humble person. I don't think I'm very much further evolved than most of the people who populated this world for the last few millenia. I think my brain works about the same as theirs, so I think I'm equally susceptible to the human conditions that have allowed for unfathomable, heinous acts to be dictated by governments and enacted by the people. So, logic dictates that we examine exactly what it is, that rests inside of us, that would make it possible for leaders to persuade us to commit these great evils despite our inherent goodness.

I have plenty of opinions on that, but faith is an overwhelmingly obvious factor. America was once a nation of men unhindered by fear of uncertainty. Not so long ago, we understood that remaining free from the grips of oppression would require us to acknowledge our own human condition. We understood that we were inevitably the greatest threat to ourselves.

I don't know what happened between then and now. We are totally complacent about our freedom.

No conspiracy theory is needed to see the vulnerability of a people who place their faith in government. No conspiracy theory is needed to see the duplicity of a government that asks for our faith. If you feel incapable of judging the people of government, become capable. That is the responsibility of a free people. Save faith for things that are truly beyond the scope of man's understanding.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Quote:

...and...then what?

^ Sheep

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.