Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

I can go into much deeper detail if you'd like

Please do

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I don't know much about nForce 2 because I've never owned a Socket A processor, so I'll just detail nForce 3 and 4
nFroce 3 comes in 3 basic flavors, 150, 250/250GB, and Ultra. The First to be relased was the 150 version, and it sucked. It had no AGP/PCI locks, and only had a Hyper-Transport speed of 600MHz up and down, as well as only being able to shoot 8-bits each way instead of 16 as per AMD's spec. Now, the 250 varient was a major step up. It allowed the right Hyper-Transport settings (800-1000MHz) and a full 16-bits each way. It also introduced the best AGP/PCI locks for the Athlon 64 platform available. The 250GB varient is the same, but it also integrated a gigabit ethernet controler and hardware optimized firewall into the chipset. The nForce3 Ultra chipset I believe it the same but is for Socket 939 and thus has 1GHz Hyper-Transport. nForce4 comes in 3 flavors and is much the same except it offers PCI Express. The nForce 4 standard edtion will be on Socket 754 and 939 and carry the basic features of nForce 3 250GB but have 10 USB ports and nVidia RAID management. The Ultra version will be the same, but only for Socket 939 and have suppor for 3Gb/s SATA drives, unlocked 1GHz Hyper-Transport, and have nVidias's networking safety untility. The SLI version is the same as the Ultra but has SLI

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

I don't know much about nForce 2 because I've never owned a Socket A processor, so I'll just detail nForce 3 and 4
nFroce 3 comes in 3 basic flavors, 150, 250/250GB, and Ultra. The First to be relased was the 150 version, and it sucked. It had no AGP/PCI locks, and only had a Hyper-Transport speed of 600MHz up and down, as well as only being able to shoot 8-bits each way instead of 16 as per AMD's spec. Now, the 250 varient was a major step up. It allowed the right Hyper-Transport settings (800-1000MHz) and a full 16-bits each way. It also introduced the best AGP/PCI locks for the Athlon 64 platform available. The 250GB varient is the same, but it also integrated a gigabit internet controler and hardware optimized firewall into the chipset. The nForce3 Ultra chipset I believe it the same but is for Socket 939 and thus has 1GHz Hyper-Transport. nForce4 comes in 3 flavors and is much the same except it offers PCI Express. The nForce 4 standard edtion will be on Socket 754 and 939 and carry the basic features of nForce 3 250GB but have 10 USB ports and nVidia RAID management. The Ultra version will be the same, but only for Socket 939 and have suppor for 3Gb/s SATA drives, unlocked 1GHz Hyper-Transport, and have nVidias's networking safety untility. The SLI version is the same as the Ultra but has SLI

Huh............Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I guess i'll do Nforce 2?

Nforce 2 SPP - The start of a nforce revolution, they had 128-bit memory controllers, first to nforce to implement 4x AGP(they can have 8x though), usually goes with the MCP(Media and Communications Processor), which has the Integrated Network, 5.1 digital sound, etc, etc.

Nforce 2 IGP - onboard Gf4MX video + SPP + MCP

Nforce 2 400 - 400MHz front side bus + SPP + MCP

Nforce 2 Ultra 400 - 400Mhz FSB + Dual channel ram + SPP + MCP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts