Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought two new fans for my CPU and Case, 92mm and 120mm Deltas, respectively. I plugged the crap all in, turned it on, it was loud as hell. Cooling was great though

But, of course, I had planned on using PWM with SpeedFan to change around the RPMs. I had a great setup going where I had a small fan plugged into a 4 pin blowing from the front on my HDs and my 92mm blowing on my CPU, so essentially I only needed to even turn on the case fan when I was at full load. Things were pretty quiet and everybody was happy.

But then trouble struck. I was running Prime95, so all the fans were running at full speed. Temps looked good (around 47c) so I turned off the stress-test. After a few minutes I heard the fans start to slow down, but they didn't turn off. I checked in SpeedFan, and although my Speed for my Case fan and CPU fan were both at 0%, both rans were running at around 80% of their full RPMs.

I checked it out, and it looks like I can only change my RPMs between 80% and 100% now. What the hell?? The system sounds like a hairdryer even when I'm word processing.

I've tried resetting, shutting the comp off and waiting, reinstalling SpeedFan etc. About the only thing I haven't tried is unplugging the fans and re-plugging then, but that seems like a waste of time. Anyone have any idea what happened and how I can fix the problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeus
Silly question, but did you plug the fans directly onto the motherboard?
Yes, but that brings up something I had forgotten...

When I first plugged the two fans in, I plugged the CPU fan into the CPU fan header and the Case fan into the Case Fan header.

However, when I turned the comp on and ran SpeedFan, the CPU fan could go from 0-100%, but the Case fan could only go from 80-100%.

So, I switched the two, and then I could control the case fan as much as I wanted to.

Now, it appears both are limited in the same way... dunno what this means.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
The problem is that the Delta fans are drawing too much current and the motherboard can't handle it. You might have even blown the fan controller chip on the motherboard.

I recommend you disconnect the deltas from the motherboard and buy a fan controller that fits in a 5.25 bay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

The problem is that the Delta fans are drawing too much current and the motherboard can't handle it. You might have even blown the fan controller chip on the motherboard.

I recommend you disconnect the deltas from the motherboard and buy a fan controller that fits in a 5.25 bay.
How much power is too much power? Both of them are <12v and when I talked to the supplier (Sidewinder) they said there shouldn't be a problem.

I tried to look on ABIT's website for info before I bought them, but all I could find was that each fan header had a 12v output, so I figured I was safe.

Maybe you could help me for a sec and check on the NF7-S section of ABIT's website to see if you can find some info?

NF7-S Page at ABIT-USA or NF7-S Manual at ABIT-USA

If you wouldn't mind taking a second to see if you can find anything that would be really helpful. In the meantime, I guess I'll be looking at manual controllers... dammit

/obviously in denial of the damage which no doubt has occurred

Edit:

I guess this is what I get for having no working knowledge of electrical current property things. Both fans have <12 watt input. Obviously, watts are different than volts, but I forgot which was which when I was checking around. Guess they might just be too much... kind of sucks that I got the wrong info though

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Motherboard manuals don't normally say anything about the limits of the fan headers.

I use to have a NF7-s v2 and that couldn't handle a 80mm delta. When I connected it to the mobo, it caused the same problem..... thats why I asked on my first reply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Motherboard manuals don't normally say anything about the limits of the fan headers.

I use to have a NF7-s v2 and that couldn't handle a 80mm delta. When I connected it to the mobo, it caused the same problem..... thats why I asked on my first reply.

Ahh... well thanks for the info. I will be investing even more money into a fan controller now :\\

Sincerely,
Computer Eating a Hole in My Wallet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts