Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*See Pic*

I had to run a repair on my brothers XPSP3 machine and I'm trying to get the network drivers to work, but no success. I've tried removing anything related to Nvidia and reinstalling all drivers but I'm still stuck. I can see the network drivers and I have a static IP set but I can't ping my router but I can ping my loopback. Also it looks like I'm missing a driver but I can't find a working one anywhere!

It's a Evga 680i SLi mobo.
LL

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
What did you use to remove the drivers? Driver Cleaner, Revo Uninstaller? Did you just use the Control Panel and remove them that way? Have you tried uninstalling the devices in Device Manager? That should at least get Windows to recognize them. Also definitely do what ComGuards said above. Winsock XP Fix was a godsend when I had an issue with my computer I first bought (before I knew how to piece one together).

Though, if that doesn't work, the problem may lie with a driver that is still lingering, or somewhere within the Registry. How did you Repair the Installation? With the Installation Disc's command line, or by reinstalling Windows over itself?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ComGuards: Thanks for the links I'll try them when I get off work.

GH0: I used Driver Cleaner along side CCleaner to clean up any problems in the registry. I can uninstall the network drivers in the Device Manager but the WAN miniport (IP) says "failed to uninstall, device might be needed to boot" or something close to that. I can disable that no problem and actually I couldn't see the network adapters at first but as soon as I disabled the WAN miniport the network connections window refreshed and they appeared.

As for the repair I didn't do the repair console I just booted to the XP disc and instead of install I selected repair. I think that's what caused all the crap.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*Update*

ComGuards method didn't work, it didn't change a thing. Should I uninstall all my network drivers again and then use that method?

I just tried to uninstall the network adapter drivers but it says failed because it might be needed to boot. But I can uninstall the Nvidia network bus emulator...

*Update 2*

So now I'm really confused. After I try and uninstall the driver and it says failed it disappears from device manager... I did that to both of them then windows found new hardware and installed the network drivers and my internet worked... This all happend while I had the WAN Miniport disabled. I ran windows updates and made sure no network driver was there just windows updates. they installed fine but i rebooted and now my network isn't working again...

*update 3*
So the only way I can get windows to recognize the uninstalled network hardware is if I enable the Wan Mini port after I uninstall the 2 network drivers.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Triple post! oh well

I got rid of the WAN miniport with this guide: http://oldergeeks.com/blog/?p=173 and http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=259611

I found out it showed up because I used a XP pro disc that had sp3 slipstreamed into it instead of using my original pre sp1 disc. I still can't get the network drivers to work though... Maybe I need to run another repair with the pre sp1 disc but then I wont be able to use any of the drivers since they all require at least sp1a...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts